|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 13?
2. What the area of Bohemia now called?
3. Which of the following Italian cities flourished after the fall of Rome?
4. What is Parmigiano-Reggiano more commonly known as?
5. What food is it thought that Marco Polo introduced to Italy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
2. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
3. How did the Basques discover cod?
4. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
5. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
6. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
7. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
8. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
9. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
10. How did salt become one of the first mediums of exchange?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Venice develop into a center for salt trading? How did they maximize their profits and in what way did this lead to their eventual demise?
Essay Topic 2
Why is salt essential to our diet? What problems can too much salt in our diets cause?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Dead Sea so important to Israeli industry? Why could the Dead Sea soon disappear?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)