|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous American had Parmesan shipped to America?
2. What is the title of Chapter 6?
3. What became the most important salt producing town in England in the 9th century?
4. What is the title of Chapter 5?
5. Which country invaded the town of Veneto?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the French finance minister reform the salt taxes?
2. How was Tabasco invented?
3. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
4. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
5. What was the policy known as common salt?
6. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
7. What did Birdseye discover?
8. How did the Indians react to the British banning the trade of their salt?
9. Why did the French hate salt taxes so much?
10. How did the Basques discover cod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's writing style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the Dead Sea so important to Israeli industry? Why could the Dead Sea soon disappear?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)