|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mammal did the Basque like to hunt?
2. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
3. What is the direct translation of Saltzburg?
4. Which town eventually conquered Veleia?
5. What meat is Parma famous for producing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Japanese used to believe about salt?
2. How is Roquefort cheese made?
3. What was Garum?
4. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
5. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
6. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
7. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
8. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
9. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
10. How did the Basques discover cod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
Essay Topic 2
How did Venice develop into a center for salt trading? How did they maximize their profits and in what way did this lead to their eventual demise?
Essay Topic 3
How did the salt trade help to develop transport systems in Europe and America? How did countries use these trading systems during times of conflict?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)