|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following Italian cities flourished after the fall of Rome?
2. Which empire did Marco Polo study for twenty-five years?
3. What is the title of Chapter 15?
4. What do Parma locals combine milk curds with to make their cheese?
5. What is the title of Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did salt become one of the first mediums of exchange?
2. How did the British make salt?
3. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
4. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
5. How did the Basques discover cod?
6. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
7. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
8. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
9. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
10. How is Roquefort cheese made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Basque culture like before they discovered how important salt was? How did salt change the Basque way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Why is salt essential to our diet? What problems can too much salt in our diets cause?
Essay Topic 3
What health problems can salt cause? How have countries tried to combat the health problems caused by too much salt?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)