|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. What European language group is Basque related to?
3. How did the salt wars start?
4. What had to be done to English bacon before one cooked it?
5. What is the direct translation of Via Salaria?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
2. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
3. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
4. What was the policy known as common salt?
5. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
6. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
7. How is Roquefort cheese made?
8. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
9. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
10. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Basque culture like before they discovered how important salt was? How did salt change the Basque way of life?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Dead Sea so important to Israeli industry? Why could the Dead Sea soon disappear?
Essay Topic 3
Why did salt start to become less important to society in the 19th century? How did this affect the food industry in both Europe and America?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)