|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Egyptian priests abstain from salt?
2. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
3. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
4. What is the title of Chapter 6?
5. What is the name of the national dish of Poland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
2. How did the Ventian government maximize their profits from the salt trade?
3. How did the British make salt?
4. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
5. How is Roquefort cheese made?
6. Why was salt in such high demand in Britain?
7. How did the Basques discover cod?
8. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
9. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
10. How did the Basques earn their fortune before the discovery of salt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's writing style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What health problems can salt cause? How have countries tried to combat the health problems caused by too much salt?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)