|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which country is Salzburg a town?
2. What European language group is Basque related to?
3. What meat were the Celts best known for?
4. What mammal did the Basque like to hunt?
5. Who is Saint Barbara the patron saint of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the British make salt?
2. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
3. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
4. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
5. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
6. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
7. How did the Basques earn their fortune before the discovery of salt?
8. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
9. What was the policy known as common salt?
10. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way has salt been an indicator of wealth? How have the authorities tries to use salt to control the masses?
Essay Topic 2
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
Essay Topic 3
How did the salt trade help to develop transport systems in Europe and America? How did countries use these trading systems during times of conflict?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)