|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of material did the Chinese use for the pipes of the first plumbing systems?
2. On which river are the Salzburg and Hallein salt mines located?
3. What is the direct translation of Via Salaria?
4. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
5. In which country is Salzburg a town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
2. What was the policy known as common salt?
3. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
4. What was Garum?
5. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
6. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
7. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
8. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
9. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
10. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Venice develop into a center for salt trading? How did they maximize their profits and in what way did this lead to their eventual demise?
Essay Topic 2
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
Essay Topic 3
What importance have the following groups attached to salt?
2. Greek philosophers.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)