|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What turns the brine into salt crystals?
2. For which Italian city did the Barcelonans buy imported salt?
3. What did Veleia have that helped in the production of salt?
4. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
5. How does one know if an English town was once a salt producing town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Basques earn their fortune before the discovery of salt?
2. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
3. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
4. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
5. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
6. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
7. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
8. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
9. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
10. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Humphry Davy in the development of salt? What problems has Davy's discovery caused?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's writing style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What role does salt play in today's society? Why is it likely salt will always play a major part in society?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)