|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
2. Why did the Romans used to salt their greens?
3. Which country does the author write about in Chapter 12?
4. How does one know if an English town was once a salt producing town?
5. What kind of sauce is Garum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the policy known as common salt?
2. How did the Basques discover cod?
3. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
4. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
5. Why was salt in such high demand in Britain?
6. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
7. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
8. How is Roquefort cheese made?
9. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
10. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does salt play in today's society? Why is it likely salt will always play a major part in society?
Essay Topic 2
Why is salt essential to our diet? What problems can too much salt in our diets cause?
Essay Topic 3
How did salt help to develop European society? What problems did Europeans have before salt was readily available?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)