|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food is it thought that Marco Polo introduced to Italy?
2. What is the name of the national dish of Poland?
3. Which empire did Marco Polo study for twenty-five years?
4. What fish needs to be salted immediately or it will go bad?
5. Why did Egyptian priests abstain from salt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
2. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
3. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
4. How did the Basques earn their fortune before the discovery of salt?
5. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
6. What was Garum?
7. How is Roquefort cheese made?
8. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
9. What did the Japanese used to believe about salt?
10. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way has salt been an indicator of wealth? How have the authorities tries to use salt to control the masses?
Essay Topic 2
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
Essay Topic 3
How did salt help to develop European society? What problems did Europeans have before salt was readily available?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)