|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the French age their cheese in?
2. Which country does the author write about in Chapter 12?
3. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
4. What fish needs to be salted immediately or it will go bad?
5. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Garum?
2. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
3. How did the Basques discover cod?
4. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
5. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
6. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
7. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
8. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
9. How is Roquefort cheese made?
10. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What health problems can salt cause? How have countries tried to combat the health problems caused by too much salt?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Humphry Davy in the development of salt? What problems has Davy's discovery caused?
Essay Topic 3
What role does salt play in today's society? Why is it likely salt will always play a major part in society?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)