|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
2. What did Veleia have that helped in the production of salt?
3. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What took over the Mediterranean Sea as the main trade route for salt?
5. Why was cod such an important find?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Roquefort cheese made?
2. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
3. How did the British make salt?
4. How did the Basques discover cod?
5. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
6. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
7. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
8. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
9. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
10. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the salt trade help to develop transport systems in Europe and America? How did countries use these trading systems during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why did cod become such an important source of food? How did the discovery of cod by the Europeans effect European industry?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)