|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
2. In which state did Jefferson live?
3. Why was cod such an important find?
4. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
5. What two groups was Rome divided between?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Japanese used to believe about salt?
2. How did the Basques discover cod?
3. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
4. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
5. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
6. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
7. How did salt become one of the first mediums of exchange?
8. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
9. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
10. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why did cod become such an important source of food? How did the discovery of cod by the Europeans effect European industry?
Essay Topic 3
Why is salt essential to our diet? What problems can too much salt in our diets cause?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)