|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which continent did the Vikings go to in search of cod?
2. Which Chinese river is known as the father of floods?
3. What did the purple dye represent?
4. Which country does the author write about in Chapter 12?
5. How did the salt wars start?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
2. How is Roquefort cheese made?
3. What did the Japanese used to believe about salt?
4. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
5. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
6. How did the British make salt?
7. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
8. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
9. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
10. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does salt play in today's society? Why is it likely salt will always play a major part in society?
Essay Topic 2
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
Essay Topic 3
In what way has salt been an indicator of wealth? How have the authorities tries to use salt to control the masses?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)