|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
2. What is Parmigiano-Reggiano more commonly known as?
3. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
4. What fish needs to be salted immediately or it will go bad?
5. Which town eventually conquered Veleia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
2. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
3. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
4. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
5. What was the policy known as common salt?
6. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
7. How did salt become one of the first mediums of exchange?
8. What did the Japanese used to believe about salt?
9. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
10. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did salt help to develop European society? What problems did Europeans have before salt was readily available?
Essay Topic 2
How did the salt trade help to develop transport systems in Europe and America? How did countries use these trading systems during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 3
What role does salt play in today's society? Why is it likely salt will always play a major part in society?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)