|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which country does the author write about in Chapter 12?
2. What is the name of the salt lake the Chinese fought over?
3. What is the main town of Merseyside?
4. What did the Egyptians mix with Brine to make Oxalme?
5. What kind of material did the Chinese use for the pipes of the first plumbing systems?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Ventian government maximize their profits from the salt trade?
2. Why was salt in such high demand in Britain?
3. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
4. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
5. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
6. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
7. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
8. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
9. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
10. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What health problems can salt cause? How have countries tried to combat the health problems caused by too much salt?
Essay Topic 2
Why did salt start to become less important to society in the 19th century? How did this affect the food industry in both Europe and America?
Essay Topic 3
In what way has salt been an indicator of wealth? How have the authorities tries to use salt to control the masses?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)