|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of sauce is Garum?
2. What do Parma locals combine milk curds with to make their cheese?
3. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
4. What animal did the Celts prize over all others?
5. What turns the brine into salt crystals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
2. How did the British make salt?
3. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
4. What was Garum?
5. How did the Basques earn their fortune before the discovery of salt?
6. What was the policy known as common salt?
7. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
8. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
9. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
10. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the Dead Sea so important to Israeli industry? Why could the Dead Sea soon disappear?
Essay Topic 2
How did salt help to develop European society? What problems did Europeans have before salt was readily available?
Essay Topic 3
What was Basque culture like before they discovered how important salt was? How did salt change the Basque way of life?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)