|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 6?
2. How did the salt wars start?
3. What is the title of Chapter 10?
4. What did the Parma locals feed their pigs?
5. What is the author discussing at the beginning of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the British make salt?
2. What was Garum?
3. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
4. How did the Ventian government maximize their profits from the salt trade?
5. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
6. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
7. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
8. How did the Basques discover cod?
9. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
10. How is Roquefort cheese made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was Humphry Davy in the development of salt? What problems has Davy's discovery caused?
Essay Topic 2
What health problems can salt cause? How have countries tried to combat the health problems caused by too much salt?
Essay Topic 3
What part did salt play in the following conflicts?
1. The American Revolution.
2. The French Revolution.
3. The American Civil War.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)