|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Chinese river is known as the father of floods?
2. What took over the Mediterranean Sea as the main trade route for salt?
3. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
4. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
5. What meat is Parma famous for producing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
2. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
3. How did the Basques earn their fortune before the discovery of salt?
4. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
5. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
6. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
7. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
8. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
9. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
10. How did the Basques discover cod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way did salt play a major part in India gaining independence from the British in 1948? How had the British used salt to oppress the Indians previously?
Essay Topic 2
How did the salt trade help to develop transport systems in Europe and America? How did countries use these trading systems during times of conflict?
Essay Topic 3
How were the following countries important in the development of salt?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)