|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What turns the brine into salt crystals?
2. What famous drilling technique became the most advance drilling technique for seven or eight centuries?
3. How do the Chinese refer to the system of harvesting the square crystals on the surface of the water?
4. What is Ernest Jones famous for bring to Britain and the USA?
5. What is the title of Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Basques discover cod?
2. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
3. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
4. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
5. Why was salt in such high demand in Britain?
6. How did the British make salt?
7. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
8. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
9. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
10. What was the policy known as common salt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the rise in salt trade change Europe and the relations between the individual countries? How did the rise in salt trade effect individuals lives? In what what way could it be said they salt trade was partly responsible for many conflicts and tensions during this time?
Essay Topic 2
How did salt help to develop European society? What problems did Europeans have before salt was readily available?
Essay Topic 3
In what way did salt play a major part in India gaining independence from the British in 1948? How had the British used salt to oppress the Indians previously?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)