|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which empire did Marco Polo study for twenty-five years?
2. What is the direct translation of Saltzburg?
3. Which emperor lead the Romans to victory against the Celts?
4. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
5. What did the Egyptians mix with Brine to make Oxalme?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Cheshire salt?
2. What was Garum?
3. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
4. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
5. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
6. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
7. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
8. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
9. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
10. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
Essay Topic 1
In what way has salt been an indicator of wealth? How have the authorities tries to use salt to control the masses?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the Dead Sea so important to Israeli industry? Why could the Dead Sea soon disappear?
Essay Topic 3
What was Basque culture like before they discovered how important salt was? How did salt change the Basque way of life?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)