|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous American had Parmesan shipped to America?
2. What vegetable did the French peasants serve lean blubber with?
3. What culture is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. Why did the Romans used to salt their greens?
5. Why did Egyptian priests abstain from salt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
2. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
3. How did the British make salt?
4. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
5. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
6. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
7. How did the Ventian government maximize their profits from the salt trade?
8. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
9. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
10. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How were the following countries important in the development of salt?
Essay Topic 2
What importance have the following groups attached to salt?
2. Greek philosophers.
Essay Topic 3
Why did salt start to become less important to society in the 19th century? How did this affect the food industry in both Europe and America?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)