|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the one place salted meats have survived?
(a) British butcher shops.
(b) Jewish Delis.
(c) Russian restaurants.
(d) Chinese restaurants.
2. What is the title of Chapter 21?
(a) Salt and the Great Soul.
(b) The Last Day of Zigong.
(c) Not Looking Back.
(d) Hold Yourselves.
3. What does Chapter 25 talk about the connection between?
(a) Saltiness and sweetness.
(b) Saltiness and ill health.
(c) Britain and CHina.
(d) China and Japan.
4. Which fish are the Swedish salted licorice candies shaped like?
5. Which country does Chapter 23 examine?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most famous brand of sea salt from India before the British came?
2. Who reinstated the salt tax in France?
3. What meat do the Chinese consume the most?
4. What river did Gandhi lead a group to in 1930 to scrape up sea salt?
5. What is the title of Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
2. In what areas dishes does the heavy use of salt still survive?
3. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
4. How did the French deal with salt smugglers?
5. How did New York improve the salt industry after the 1812 war?
6. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
7. Why did the French hate salt taxes so much?
8. How did the Dead Sea become a health spa?
9. What problem does the Dead Sea have?
10. What problems do the British salt mines have in this section?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)