|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which country are said to be the largest consumers of salt in the world?
2. What is the name of the island the Louisiana salt works owners bought?
(a) Avery Island.
(b) Ellis Island.
(c) Mormon Island.
(d) Dean Island.
3. What subject does the author discuss in Chapter 19?
4. What is the name of the sea that runs alongside Jordan and Israel?
(a) The Kuwait Sea.
(b) The Red Sea.
(c) The Persian Sea.
(d) The Dead Sea.
5. What major even occurred in India in 1947?
(a) They were bombed.
(b) They gained independence.
(c) They were handed back Pakistan.
(d) They were invaded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the brine the settlers in San Francisco took from the sea before the made it into salt?
2. What famous company did a man named Birdseye form?
3. What famous event happened in India in 1857?
4. What was the French salt tax also known as?
5. What did Mattias Schleiden claim was the mark of all tyrannies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was India ruled entirely by a British government in 1857?
2. What problems do the British salt mines have in this section?
3. Why have people decreased their salt intake?
4. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
5. How did Morton become the world's largest salt producer?
6. Why do people believe the Dead Sea is so salty?
7. How did New York improve the salt industry after the 1812 war?
8. What impact did Humphry Davy have on the salt industry?
9. What problem does the Dead Sea have?
10. How did the South finally get its supplies of salt?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)