|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food product was particularly popular in Rome and abroad?
(a) Salted olive.
(b) Pickled gherkin.
(c) Salted fish.
(d) Pickled eggs.
2. What is the title of Chapter 6?
(a) A Sprinkle of Salt Goes a Long Way.
(b) Opening the Way for Others.
(c) Two Ports and the Prosciutto in Between.
(d) The Salt of the Earth.
3. What did the Romans call the salt they gave out to everybody?
(a) The people's salt.
(b) Common salt.
(c) Pleb salt.
(d) Salt of the earth.
4. What did the Parma locals feed their pigs?
5. Which of the following Italian cities flourished after the fall of Rome?
Short Answer Questions
1. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
2. Which Chinese river is known as the father of floods?
3. In which country is Salzburg a town?
4. What is Ernest Jones famous for bring to Britain and the USA?
5. What famous drilling technique became the most advance drilling technique for seven or eight centuries?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Basques earn their fortune before the discovery of salt?
2. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
3. How did the Basques discover cod?
4. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
5. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
6. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
7. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
8. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
9. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
10. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)