|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What became the most important salt producing town in England in the 9th century?
2. For which Italian city did the Barcelonans buy imported salt?
3. In which country is Salzburg a town?
4. What famous drilling technique became the most advance drilling technique for seven or eight centuries?
(a) Hotrod drilling.
(b) Depth drilling.
(c) Percussion drilling.
(d) Capo drilling.
5. What turns the brine into salt crystals?
(a) Over heating.
(b) Water drenching.
(c) Solar evaporation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal did the Celts prize over all others?
2. What did Veleia have that helped in the production of salt?
3. What European language group is Basque related to?
4. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
5. What was known as Cordona's main treasure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
2. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
3. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
4. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
5. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
6. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
7. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
8. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
9. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
10. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)