|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of sauce is Garum?
(a) Tomato sauce.
(b) Cheese sauce.
(c) Fish sauce.
(d) Chili sauce.
2. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What was the most popular fish in Europe between the 16th and 18th century?
4. What did the Romans call the salt they gave out to everybody?
(a) Pleb salt.
(b) Common salt.
(c) Salt of the earth.
(d) The people's salt.
5. What is the name of the process in which the Japanese ferment beans in earthen pots?
(a) Lactic acid fermentation.
(d) Chloride fermentation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
2. In which country is Salzburg a town?
3. What is the title of Chapter 13?
4. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
5. What is ketchup named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
2. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
3. How did the British make salt?
4. What was the policy known as common salt?
5. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
6. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
7. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
8. What did the Japanese used to believe about salt?
9. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
10. Why was salt in such high demand in Britain?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)