|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prevents salt from absorbing into meat?
2. For which Italian city did the Barcelonans buy imported salt?
3. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
(a) It contained soy beans.
(b) It is a black liquid.
(c) It was used as a medicine.
(d) It was a condiment used to salt food.
4. What meat were the Celts best known for?
(b) Tartar steak.
(c) Beef steak.
5. What is the direct translation of Via Salaria?
(a) Salt road.
(b) Salt river.
(c) Salt path.
(d) Salt freeway.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
2. What had to be done to English bacon before one cooked it?
3. What did Veleia have that helped in the production of salt?
4. What is ketchup named after?
5. Why was the payment the Roman soldiers received called a salary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Garum?
2. How did salt become one of the first mediums of exchange?
3. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
4. What was the policy known as common salt?
5. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
6. How did the British make salt?
7. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
8. How did the Ventian government maximize their profits from the salt trade?
9. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
10. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)