|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Parma locals combine milk curds with to make their cheese?
2. What is the title of Chapter 15?
(a) Popping to the Mine.
(b) The Dean of Salt.
(c) The Creation of a New World.
(d) Preseving Independence.
3. What does the author say is the lesser known river of England?
(a) The Thames.
(b) The Mersey.
(c) The Severn.
(d) The Danube.
4. What did the Parma locals feed their pigs?
5. What is the title of Chapter 5?
(a) Foolish Wanderings in the Dead Sea.
(b) Two Ports and the Prosciutto in Between.
(c) Salting it Away in the Adriatic.
(d) Floating on the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
2. On which river are the Salzburg and Hallein salt mines located?
3. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
4. What food product was particularly popular in Rome and abroad?
5. What color would the Celts paint their bodies when fighting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
2. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
3. How did salt become one of the first mediums of exchange?
4. How is Roquefort cheese made?
5. How did the Basques earn their fortune before the discovery of salt?
6. How did the Basques discover cod?
7. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
8. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
9. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
10. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)