Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which empire did Marco Polo study for twenty-five years?
(a) The Spanish empire.
(b) The Aztec empire.
(c) The Mongol empire.
(d) The British empire.
2. What is the direct translation of Saltzburg?
(a) Salt town.
(b) Salt lime.
(c) Salt hole.
(d) Salt river.
3. Which emperor lead the Romans to victory against the Celts?
4. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
5. What did the Egyptians mix with Brine to make Oxalme?
(c) Olive oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents salt from absorbing into meat?
2. On which river are the Salzburg and Hallein salt mines located?
3. Who is known as the most famous of Genoese sailors?
4. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
5. How do the Chinese refer to the system of harvesting the square crystals on the surface of the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Cheshire salt?
2. What was Garum?
3. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
4. Why did pilgrims in New England rely so heavily on salt?
5. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
6. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
7. Why do people combine salt and sugar?
8. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
9. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
10. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)