|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Romans call the salt they gave out to everybody?
(a) Common salt.
(b) The people's salt.
(c) Pleb salt.
(d) Salt of the earth.
2. What took over the Mediterranean Sea as the main trade route for salt?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) The Indian Ocean.
(c) The Dead Sea.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
3. What is the direct translation of Saltzburg?
(a) Salt river.
(b) Salt hole.
(c) Salt lime.
(d) Salt town.
4. What famous American had Parmesan shipped to America?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Benjaman Franklyn,
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) George Washington.
5. What European language group is Basque related to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was cod such an important find?
2. What was the most popular fish in Europe between the 16th and 18th century?
3. How does one know if an English town was once a salt producing town?
4. What did the purple dye represent?
5. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was India ruled entirely by a British government in 1857?
2. How did the American War of Independence begin?
3. What was Garum?
4. How did a man called Appert destroy the salt industry?
5. How did the Basques discover cod?
6. Why did another war breakout between America and Britain in 1812?
7. How did Britain enforce the new salt laws?
8. What impact did Humphry Davy have on the salt industry?
9. How did the British help the Chinese in 1912?
10. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)