|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day did the Catholics ban the eating of meat?
2. Who is known as the most famous of Genoese sailors?
(a) Arraggi Sacchi.
(b) Fernando Torres.
(c) Christopher Columbus.
(d) Marco Polo.
3. What is the main town of Merseyside?
4. What is the title of Chapter 6?
(a) Opening the Way for Others.
(b) Two Ports and the Prosciutto in Between.
(c) A Sprinkle of Salt Goes a Long Way.
(d) The Salt of the Earth.
5. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
2. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
3. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
4. What two stones does the author say the rock was a cross between?
5. What meat were the Celts best known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about the Dead Sea?
2. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
3. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
4. How did Britain enforce the new salt laws?
5. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
6. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
7. How did Morton become the world's largest salt producer?
8. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
9. What virtually destroyed the salt industry in China in 1995?
10. Why did the French hate salt taxes so much?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)