|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which state did Jefferson live?
(c) New York.
(d) North Carolina.
2. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
3. What meat were the Celts best known for?
(b) Tartar steak.
(d) Beef steak.
4. What is the title of Chapter 10?
(a) The German Sauerkraut.
(b) The Leaving of Liverpool.
(c) The American Salt Wars.
(d) The Hapsburg Pickle.
5. What vegetable did the French peasants serve lean blubber with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 5?
2. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
3. What did the Egyptians mix with Brine to make Oxalme?
4. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What was the most popular fish in Europe between the 16th and 18th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
2. How did the British make salt?
3. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
4. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
5. How is Roquefort cheese made?
6. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
7. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
8. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
9. How did the Basques discover cod?
10. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)