|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vegetable did the French peasants serve lean blubber with?
2. Which two vegetables were the most important in central Europe during the Hapsburg dynasty?
(a) Pickles and sauerkraut.
(b) Kim-chi and spinach.
(c) Lettuce and carrots.
(d) Coleslaw and baked beans.
3. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
(c) The compass.
(d) The radio.
4. For which Italian city did the Barcelonans buy imported salt?
5. What did the Egyptians mix with Brine to make Oxalme?
(c) Olive oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day did the Catholics ban the eating of meat?
2. What had to be done to English bacon before one cooked it?
3. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
4. What did the purple dye represent?
5. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
2. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
3. Why was salt in such high demand in Britain?
4. How did the Basques discover cod?
5. What was Garum?
6. How did the Ventian government maximize their profits from the salt trade?
7. How did salt become one of the first mediums of exchange?
8. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
9. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
10. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)