|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of sauce is Garum?
(a) Tomato sauce.
(b) Chili sauce.
(c) Fish sauce.
(d) Cheese sauce.
2. Which culture was known to have a God of Salt?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The native Americans.
3. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
(b) The compass.
(d) The radio.
4. What took over the Mediterranean Sea as the main trade route for salt?
(a) The Dead Sea.
(b) The Indian Ocean.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Atlantic Ocean.
5. Which of the following countries did the Hapsburgs not rule over?
(c) Czech Republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author discussing at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
3. In which state did Jefferson live?
4. What is the direct translation of Saltzburg?
5. How did the salt wars start?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Garum?
2. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
3. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
4. What did the Japanese used to believe about salt?
5. In what way was meat an essential part of central Europe rather than salt?
6. What was the policy known as common salt?
7. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
8. How did salt help in developing one of the world's first plumbing systems?
9. Why was salt in such high demand in Britain?
10. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)