|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was the payment the Roman soldiers received called a salary?
(a) They were sometimes paid in salt.
(b) They often saved up their money to buy salt mines.
(c) They celebrated their salary with a heavily salted meal.
(d) They used their money to buy salt for their families.
2. What is the name of the national dish of Poland?
(c) Nakladany Hermelin.
3. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. What meat is Parma famous for producing?
(d) Pork chops.
5. Which country does the author write about in Chapter 12?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the direct translation of Via Salaria?
2. What is the title of Chapter 13?
3. Which salted dish became particularly popular throughout Europe?
4. Which emperor lead the Romans to victory against the Celts?
5. What is ketchup named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Basques earn their fortune before the discovery of salt?
2. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
3. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
4. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
5. How did the Chinese make salt in 800 BC.
6. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
7. How did ketchup develop into tomato ketchup?
8. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
9. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
10. What was Garum?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)