|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
2. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What food product was particularly popular in Rome and abroad?
(a) Pickled gherkin.
(b) Pickled eggs.
(c) Salted olive.
(d) Salted fish.
4. What is the title of Chapter 10?
(a) The Leaving of Liverpool.
(b) The American Salt Wars.
(c) The Hapsburg Pickle.
(d) The German Sauerkraut.
5. What Irish dish became the official meat of the British navy?
(a) Danish bacon.
(b) Cure ham.
(c) Tartar steak.
(d) Corned beef.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
2. What color would the Celts paint their bodies when fighting?
3. What is the name of the national dish of Poland?
4. What other country developed a sauce similar to Garum?
5. What was the most popular fish in Europe between the 16th and 18th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the policy known as common salt?
2. Why did the author become fascinated by salt?
3. How did the British make salt?
4. In what way can American history be described as a constant struggle over salt?
5. How did salt help the Swedes economically?
6. How did Christopher Columbus cause the decline of Venice?
7. What did Marco Polo do while in Mongolia?
8. How did salt become one of the first mediums of exchange?
9. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
10. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)