|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Veleia have that helped in the production of salt?
(a) A salt mine.
(b) A salt lake.
(c) A salt montain.
(d) An underground salt spring.
2. Why were dead bodies so important to the Egyptians?
(a) They needed the bones for sculptures.
(b) They were the vessel which connected life to the afterlife.
(c) They were full of salt.
(d) They were a reminder of how important life is.
3. Which culture was known to have a God of Salt?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The native Americans.
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The Chinese.
4. What took over the Mediterranean Sea as the main trade route for salt?
(a) The Atlantic Ocean.
(b) The Pacific Ocean.
(c) The Indian Ocean.
(d) The Dead Sea.
5. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Spanish town does the author mention in this section?
2. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
3. What Irish dish became the official meat of the British navy?
4. What food is it thought that Marco Polo introduced to Italy?
5. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
2. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
3. How did Salzburg cause the Salt War?
4. How did salt become the foundation of the commercial empire in Venice?
5. How did the Basques discover cod?
6. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
7. How did the British make salt?
8. How do the people of Parma make their cheese?
9. How did the Chinese develop soy sauce?
10. How is Roquefort cheese made?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)