|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the process in which the Japanese ferment beans in earthen pots?
(c) Lactic acid fermentation.
(d) Chloride fermentation.
2. What is the title of Chapter 10?
(a) The American Salt Wars.
(b) The German Sauerkraut.
(c) The Leaving of Liverpool.
(d) The Hapsburg Pickle.
3. What European language group is Basque related to?
4. What was the most popular fish in Europe between the 16th and 18th century?
5. What culture is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Parmigiano-Reggiano more commonly known as?
2. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
3. What is the direct translation of Saltzburg?
4. What other country developed a sauce similar to Garum?
5. What is Ernest Jones famous for bring to Britain and the USA?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Basques different from other Europeans?
2. Why is cod a perfect fish for salting?
3. Why was salt in such high demand in Britain?
4. Why was the castle of Cardona built on a mountainside?
5. What did the Japanese used to believe about salt?
6. What influence has salt had on modern day language?
7. How did the British make salt?
8. What was Garum?
9. Why were the Celts viewed as fearsome warriors?
10. How did the people of Parma make their ham?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)