|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Union forces destroy in West Virginia in 1862?
(a) The salt works.
(b) The steel works.
(c) The tobacco plantation.
(d) The Virginia university.
2. What was the French salt tax also known as?
(a) The Toulouse.
(b) The Gabelle.
(c) The Rogue.
(d) The Chappelle.
3. What religious group settled in the state of Utah?
4. What color was the brine the settlers in San Francisco took from the sea before the made it into salt?
5. What was the most famous brand of sea salt from India before the British came?
6. Who did Appert sell his invention to?
(c) The navy.
(d) The army.
7. What revolution began in 1789?
(a) The Orange Revolution.
(b) The French revolution.
(c) The Amercan Revolution.
(d) The Velvet Revolution.
8. What major even occurred in India in 1947?
(a) They were bombed.
(b) They were handed back Pakistan.
(c) They were invaded.
(d) They gained independence.
9. Why did the British ban Orissa salt?
(a) It was causing disease among the British community.
(b) Because it was used for religious practises.
(c) Because it was causing tensions within the country.
(d) So they could market their own salt.
10. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) Forming Clouds.
(b) Pass Me the Salt.
(d) Red Salt.
11. What did one person bring onto Avery Island to farm?
(a) Mexican chili peppers.
(b) Louisiana Cotton.
(c) Virginian tobacco.
(d) British wheat.
12. What did people find in the USA whilst looking for salt deposits?
13. What is the title of Chapter 21?
(a) The Last Day of Zigong.
(b) Hold Yourselves.
(c) Salt and the Great Soul.
(d) Not Looking Back.
14. By what name was Cincinnati also known as?
(a) Setak City.
15. What did Mattias Schleiden claim was the mark of all tyrannies?
(c) Salt mines.
(d) Salt tax.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it illegal to salt in France during the salt tax?
2. What is Nitrous Oxide more commonly known as?
3. What is the title of Chapter 19?
4. What country was Matthias Schleiden from?
5. What process did Davy use to break down Nitrous Oxide?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)