|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does sodium become if one isolates the chemical chlorine?
(c) Nitrous Oxide.
(d) Carbon Monoxide.
2. What is the name of the island the Louisiana salt works owners bought?
(a) Mormon Island.
(b) Dean Island.
(c) Avery Island.
(d) Ellis Island.
3. What did Appert invent?
(a) The use of cans for preserving food.
(b) The use of chlorine in swimming pools.
(c) The idea of drying out meat.
(d) Cooking salt.
4. What did one person bring onto Avery Island to farm?
(a) British wheat.
(b) Mexican chili peppers.
(c) Virginian tobacco.
(d) Louisiana Cotton.
5. What was the most famous brand of sea salt from India before the British came?
6. What does the author say the Chinese are obsessed with?
7. What subject does the author discuss in Chapter 19?
8. Which country consumes the most salt?
9. What famous company did a man named Birdseye form?
(a) General Foods.
(b) General Motors.
10. What is the title of Chapter 23?
(a) The Last Day of Zigong.
(b) A Useful Tool.
(c) Creating the New World.
(d) The Last Week in Pittsburgh.
11. What religious group settled in the state of Utah?
12. Where were the Mormons before they settled in Utah?
(a) The West Coast.
(b) The East Coast.
(c) The Mexican border.
(d) The Midwest.
13. What is Appert's nationality?
14. What country was Matthias Schleiden from?
15. Which country are said to be the largest consumers of salt in the world?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the British create serious salt shortages during the American War for Independence?
2. What ocean did people originally think the Dead Sea was part of?
3. What is the title of Chapter 20?
4. What was the name of the war Israel fought in 1948?
5. Who led the popular movement against British salt polices?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)