|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sarah Hale discover could preserve fish?
2. Wht did international health group begin to worry about the effects of salt?
(a) It was being made with chemicals.
(b) It lacks iodine.
(c) It lacks iron.
(d) It lacks vitamins.
3. What is the title of Chapter 22?
(a) Salt and Pepper.
(b) The Salt of the Earth.
(c) Salt and the Great Sout.
(d) Not Looking Back.
4. What do Americans mostly use their salt for?
(b) De-icing roads.
(c) Making chocolate.
(d) Religious practises.
5. Why did the British claim it was okay to kidnap American soldiers?
(a) They had deserted from the British Navy.
(b) They had British wives.
(c) They were slave owners.
(d) They were not men of God.
6. Who was forbidden to trade with the United States after the revolution?
(a) Dutch colonies.
(b) German colonies.
(c) British colonies.
(d) French colonies.
7. What color was the brine the settlers in San Francisco took from the sea before the made it into salt?
8. What did the Kibbutz eventually turn into?
(a) A health spa.
(b) A salt works.
(c) A kindergarten.
(d) A university.
9. What is the name of the island the Louisiana salt works owners bought?
(a) Ellis Island.
(b) Dean Island.
(c) Mormon Island.
(d) Avery Island.
10. What does the author say the Chinese are obsessed with?
11. What major even occurred in India in 1947?
(a) They were bombed.
(b) They gained independence.
(c) They were invaded.
(d) They were handed back Pakistan.
12. Why did the British ban Orissa salt?
(a) So they could market their own salt.
(b) Because it was causing tensions within the country.
(c) Because it was used for religious practises.
(d) It was causing disease among the British community.
13. What is the name of the canal the Americans built on New York to transport salt?
(a) The Amsterdam.
(b) The Erie.
(c) The Cod.
(d) The Weener.
14. What does Chapter 25 talk about the connection between?
(a) Britain and CHina.
(b) China and Japan.
(c) Saltiness and sweetness.
(d) Saltiness and ill health.
15. What was the name of the war Israel fought in 1948?
(a) Six Year War.
(b) War of Independence.
(c) The Salt War.
(d) The Dead War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Union forces destroy in West Virginia in 1862?
2. On which continent has salt consumption almost halved?
3. What is Sodium Chloride better known as?
4. What country does the author return to in Chapter 23?
5. Where did a group of speculators find salt deposits underground?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)