|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the Chinese are obsessed with?
2. What does Chapter 25 talk about the connection between?
(a) Saltiness and ill health.
(b) China and Japan.
(c) Britain and CHina.
(d) Saltiness and sweetness.
3. What did Mattias Schleiden claim was the mark of all tyrannies?
(a) Salt tax.
(b) Salt mines.
4. What country does the author return to in Chapter 23?
5. What is the title of Chapter 22?
(a) Not Looking Back.
(b) Salt and the Great Sout.
(c) The Salt of the Earth.
(d) Salt and Pepper.
6. What is the title of Chapter 17?
(a) Pass Me the Salt.
(b) Forming Clouds.
(c) Red Salt.
7. What is the name of the mountain made entirely from rock salt?
(a) Mount Sodom.
(b) Mount Exodus.
(c) Mount Leone.
(d) Mount Nazareth.
8. Who believed that the Dead Sea would become a source of mineral wealth?
9. What famous company did a man named Birdseye form?
(a) General Foods.
(c) General Motors.
10. What did the Kibbutz eventually turn into?
(a) A university.
(b) A salt works.
(c) A health spa.
(d) A kindergarten.
11. What is the name of the world's most common salt producer?
12. Who did Appert sell his invention to?
(a) The navy.
(c) The army.
13. What is the name of the canal the Americans built on New York to transport salt?
(a) The Amsterdam.
(b) The Erie.
(c) The Weener.
(d) The Cod.
14. Why did the British claim it was okay to kidnap American soldiers?
(a) They had deserted from the British Navy.
(b) They were not men of God.
(c) They were slave owners.
(d) They had British wives.
15. In what town was China salt production centered?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 20?
2. In which English town does Chapter 20 take place?
3. What famous event happened in India in 1857?
4. Which of the following countries did not go to America to find salt?
5. Whose work did Gandhi read in jail while in India?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)