|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Kibbutz eventually turn into?
(a) A university.
(b) A salt works.
(c) A kindergarten.
(d) A health spa.
2. Who was forbidden to trade with the United States after the revolution?
(a) British colonies.
(b) French colonies.
(c) German colonies.
(d) Dutch colonies.
3. Which country does Chapter 23 examine?
4. On which continent has salt consumption almost halved?
(b) North America.
5. What is the title of Chapter 18?
(a) The Mythology if Geology.
(b) The Soil Never Sets On.
(c) Are You Ready to Go.
(d) The Odium of Sodium.
6. What does the author say the Chinese are obsessed with?
7. Which country consumes the most salt?
8. In which state is the Great Salt Lake located?
(c) New York.
9. What was Jean Baptiste Colbert's role in the French government?
(a) Foreign minister.
(b) Deputy minister.
(d) Finance minister.
10. What ocean did people originally think the Dead Sea was part of?
(a) The Indian.
(b) The Pacific.
(c) The Atlantic.
(d) The Mediterranean.
11. What did soldiers and salt workers set up next to the salt works?
(a) A deli.
(b) A kibbutz.
(c) A housing estate.
(d) A church.
12. What is the name of the sea that runs alongside Jordan and Israel?
(a) The Kuwait Sea.
(b) The Dead Sea.
(c) The Red Sea.
(d) The Persian Sea.
13. Which country helped the new China Republic to rebuild their salt industry?
14. Why did the British ban Orissa salt?
(a) It was causing disease among the British community.
(b) Because it was causing tensions within the country.
(c) Because it was used for religious practises.
(d) So they could market their own salt.
15. What did Appert invent?
(a) The idea of drying out meat.
(b) The use of chlorine in swimming pools.
(c) Cooking salt.
(d) The use of cans for preserving food.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of drilling took over percussion drilling in 1943?
2. In what town was China salt production centered?
3. Which country are said to be the largest consumers of salt in the world?
4. What was the name of the war Israel fought in 1948?
5. What major even occurred in India in 1947?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)