|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say the Chinese are obsessed with?
2. Whose work did Gandhi read in jail while in India?
3. What color was the brine the settlers in San Francisco took from the sea before the made it into salt?
4. What does Chapter 25 talk about the connection between?
(a) Saltiness and sweetness.
(b) Saltiness and ill health.
(c) Britain and CHina.
(d) China and Japan.
5. Which two states were colonies of Britain?
(a) California and Ohio.
(b) Kentucky and Ohio.
(c) North Carolnia and South Carolina.
(d) Masschusetts and Virginia.
6. How did the British create serious salt shortages during the American War for Independence?
(a) They blew up the salt mines.
(b) They blockaded American ports.
(c) They befriended the Native Indians.
(d) They took over all the towns with salt industries.
7. What is the name of the world's most common salt producer?
8. What ocean did people originally think the Dead Sea was part of?
(a) The Indian.
(b) The Pacific.
(c) The Mediterranean.
(d) The Atlantic.
9. Who believed that the Dead Sea would become a source of mineral wealth?
10. What was the French salt tax also known as?
(a) The Toulouse.
(b) The Chappelle.
(c) The Gabelle.
(d) The Rogue.
11. Who led the popular movement against British salt polices?
12. Where is the one place salted meats have survived?
(a) Chinese restaurants.
(b) British butcher shops.
(c) Jewish Delis.
(d) Russian restaurants.
13. What did the Kibbutz eventually turn into?
(a) A health spa.
(b) A salt works.
(c) A university.
(d) A kindergarten.
14. What did Humphry Davy invent?
15. By what name was Cincinnati also known as?
(a) Setak City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mountain made entirely from rock salt?
2. What is the title of Chapter 16?
3. What was the most famous brand of sea salt from India before the British came?
4. On which continent has salt consumption almost halved?
5. What did the American south lack adequate supplies for against the north?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)