|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the Romans used to salt their greens?
(a) To increase fertility.
(b) To protect the lining of their stomachs.
(c) To eliminate the bitterness.
(d) As a peace offering for the Gods.
2. What is the title of Chapter 13?
(a) Salt and Independence.
(b) Liberte, Egalite, Tax Breaks.
(c) What is Freedom?
(d) Preserving Independece.
3. What did Veleia have that helped in the production of salt?
(a) An underground salt spring.
(b) A salt lake.
(c) A salt montain.
(d) A salt mine.
4. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. What had to be done to English bacon before one cooked it?
(a) Dip it in water.
(b) Scrub with a cloth.
(c) Hand it out to dry.
(d) Cover it with egg yolk.
6. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
(a) It was a condiment used to salt food.
(b) It is a black liquid.
(c) It contained soy beans.
(d) It was used as a medicine.
7. What is Ernest Jones famous for bring to Britain and the USA?
8. In which country is Salzburg a town?
9. Which country does the author write about in Chapter 12?
10. On what day did the Catholics ban the eating of meat?
11. What is Parmigiano-Reggiano more commonly known as?
(a) Parmesan cheese.
(b) Parma ham.
(c) Stilton cheese.
(d) Cheddar cheese.
12. What animal did the Celts prize over all others?
(a) The pig.
(b) The cow.
(c) The dog.
(d) The sheep.
13. Which Chinese river is known as the father of floods?
(a) The Yangtze.
(b) The Yellow River.
(c) The Green River.
(d) The Yangez.
14. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
(a) The saltstone trade.
(b) The salted fish trade.
(c) The tartar steak trade.
(d) The Garum sauce trade.
15. What famous American had Parmesan shipped to America?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) Benjaman Franklyn,
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) George Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
2. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
3. What did the Parma locals feed their pigs?
4. What is the name of the salt lake the Chinese fought over?
5. Which of the following Italian cities flourished after the fall of Rome?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)