|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Romans call the salt they gave out to everybody?
(a) The people's salt.
(b) Salt of the earth.
(c) Pleb salt.
(d) Common salt.
2. Which salted dish became particularly popular throughout Europe?
3. What mammal did the Basque like to hunt?
4. What is the name of the salt lake the Chinese fought over?
(a) Lake Panieux.
(b) Lake Shanxi.
(c) Lake Pang.
(d) Lake Yuncheng.
5. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Vikings.
(c) The British.
(d) The Spanish.
6. Who is Saint Barbara the patron saint of?
(a) German salt traders.
(b) British sailors.
(c) German salt miners.
(d) German sailors.
7. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
(a) It is a black liquid.
(b) It contained soy beans.
(c) It was used as a medicine.
(d) It was a condiment used to salt food.
8. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
9. What did the Egyptians mix with Brine to make Oxalme?
(a) Olive oil.
10. How did the salt wars start?
(a) Salzburg closed their borders.
(b) Satzburg refused to sell salt to foreigners.
(c) Salzburg destroyed their salt mines.
(d) Salzburg tried to undercut their salt prices.
11. What kind of material did the Chinese use for the pipes of the first plumbing systems?
(c) Pine wood.
12. What does the author say is the lesser known river of England?
(a) The Mersey.
(b) The Thames.
(c) The Danube.
(d) The Severn.
13. What fish needs to be salted immediately or it will go bad?
14. Which country invaded the town of Veneto?
15. What is ketchup named after?
(a) A Czech engineer.
(b) A Chinese philosopher.
(c) A British salt miner.
(d) An Indonesian fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which culture was known to have a God of Salt?
2. What is Ernest Jones famous for bring to Britain and the USA?
3. What did the purple dye represent?
4. What vegetable did the French peasants serve lean blubber with?
5. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)