|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group was the ruling class of Rome?
(a) The patricians.
(b) The regiments.
(c) The democrats.
(d) The plebeians.
2. What is ketchup named after?
(a) A Czech engineer.
(b) An Indonesian fish.
(c) A British salt miner.
(d) A Chinese philosopher.
3. Which Spanish town does the author mention in this section?
4. What famous explorer does the author mention in this section?
(a) James Cook.
(b) Dean wren.
(c) Marco Polo.
(d) Christopher Columbus.
5. What is the direct translation of Saltzburg?
(a) Salt lime.
(b) Salt hole.
(c) Salt town.
(d) Salt river.
6. Why did Egyptian priests abstain from salt?
(a) It was addictive.
(b) It damaged one's skin.
(c) It excited sexual desire.
(d) It killed brain power.
7. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
8. What is the title of Chapter 6?
(a) Opening the Way for Others.
(b) Two Ports and the Prosciutto in Between.
(c) The Salt of the Earth.
(d) A Sprinkle of Salt Goes a Long Way.
9. What is the author discussing at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Gold mines.
(b) The great rivers.
(c) Salt mines.
(d) The great lakes.
10. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
11. What is the main town of Merseyside?
12. What famous drilling technique became the most advance drilling technique for seven or eight centuries?
(a) Depth drilling.
(b) Hotrod drilling.
(c) Capo drilling.
(d) Percussion drilling.
13. For which Italian city did the Barcelonans buy imported salt?
14. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
(a) It is a black liquid.
(b) It was used as a medicine.
(c) It contained soy beans.
(d) It was a condiment used to salt food.
15. What mammal did the Basque like to hunt?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Chinese refer to the system of harvesting the square crystals on the surface of the water?
2. Which continent did the Vikings go to in search of cod?
3. What animal did the Celts prize over all others?
4. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
5. What kind of sauce is Garum?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)