|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
2. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
3. What had to be done to English bacon before one cooked it?
(a) Dip it in water.
(b) Cover it with egg yolk.
(c) Scrub with a cloth.
(d) Hand it out to dry.
4. What two stones does the author say the rock was a cross between?
(a) Sand stone and marble.
(b) Soap and quartz.
(c) Marble and soap.
(d) Lime stome and quartz.
5. What two groups was Rome divided between?
(a) Celts and Huns.
(b) Normans and Romans.
(c) Gods and men.
(d) Patricians and plebeians.
6. What is Parmigiano-Reggiano more commonly known as?
(a) Parmesan cheese.
(b) Cheddar cheese.
(c) Stilton cheese.
(d) Parma ham.
7. What fish needs to be salted immediately or it will go bad?
8. What is the title of Chapter 13?
(a) Preserving Independece.
(b) Liberte, Egalite, Tax Breaks.
(c) Salt and Independence.
(d) What is Freedom?
9. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
10. What turns the brine into salt crystals?
(a) Over heating.
(b) Solar evaporation.
(c) Water drenching.
11. Which town eventually conquered Veleia?
12. What do the French age their cheese in?
(d) Coffee jars.
13. Why did the Romans used to salt their greens?
(a) To protect the lining of their stomachs.
(b) To increase fertility.
(c) To eliminate the bitterness.
(d) As a peace offering for the Gods.
14. What did the purple dye represent?
15. What is the author discussing at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Gold mines.
(b) Salt mines.
(c) The great rivers.
(d) The great lakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does one know if an English town was once a salt producing town?
2. Who is known as the most famous of Genoese sailors?
3. What is the main town of Merseyside?
4. What is the name of the salt lake the Chinese fought over?
5. What is the title of Chapter 15?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)