|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Yi Dun believed to have made salt?
(a) By leaving brine out in the sun.
(b) By chipping the salt stone into small pieces.
(c) By boiling brine in iron pans.
(d) By soaking the saltstone in drinking water.
2. What is ketchup named after?
(a) A British salt miner.
(b) A Chinese philosopher.
(c) An Indonesian fish.
(d) A Czech engineer.
3. What do the French age their cheese in?
(c) Coffee jars.
4. What two groups was Rome divided between?
(a) Patricians and plebeians.
(b) Normans and Romans.
(c) Gods and men.
(d) Celts and Huns.
5. What is the title of Chapter 15?
(a) Preseving Independence.
(b) Popping to the Mine.
(c) The Creation of a New World.
(d) The Dean of Salt.
6. What county is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. Who is Saint Barbara the patron saint of?
(a) German salt miners.
(b) German salt traders.
(c) British sailors.
(d) German sailors.
8. Which Spanish town does the author mention in this section?
9. Which Chinese river is known as the father of floods?
(a) The Yangez.
(b) The Yangtze.
(c) The Yellow River.
(d) The Green River.
10. What is the main town of Merseyside?
11. Why were dead bodies so important to the Egyptians?
(a) They were a reminder of how important life is.
(b) They were full of salt.
(c) They needed the bones for sculptures.
(d) They were the vessel which connected life to the afterlife.
12. What took over the Mediterranean Sea as the main trade route for salt?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Dead Sea.
(c) The Atlantic Ocean.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
13. In which state did Jefferson live?
(a) New York.
(b) North Carolina.
14. Which empire did Marco Polo study for twenty-five years?
(a) The Spanish empire.
(b) The Aztec empire.
(c) The British empire.
(d) The Mongol empire.
15. In which country is Salzburg a town?
Short Answer Questions
1. What had to be done to English bacon before one cooked it?
2. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
3. How did the salt wars start?
4. Which culture was known to have a God of Salt?
5. For which Italian city did the Barcelonans buy imported salt?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)