|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say is the lesser known river of England?
(a) The Danube.
(b) The Thames.
(c) The Severn.
(d) The Mersey.
2. What group was the ruling class of Rome?
(a) The regiments.
(b) The plebeians.
(c) The democrats.
(d) The patricians.
3. Why did the Romans used to salt their greens?
(a) To increase fertility.
(b) To protect the lining of their stomachs.
(c) To eliminate the bitterness.
(d) As a peace offering for the Gods.
4. Who is Saint Barbara the patron saint of?
(a) German salt miners.
(b) British sailors.
(c) German sailors.
(d) German salt traders.
5. What is the title of Chapter 6?
(a) Two Ports and the Prosciutto in Between.
(b) A Sprinkle of Salt Goes a Long Way.
(c) The Salt of the Earth.
(d) Opening the Way for Others.
6. How do the Chinese refer to the system of harvesting the square crystals on the surface of the water?
(a) Dragging and gathering.
(b) Carving and holing.
(c) Filing and combing.
(d) Chipping and licking.
7. Which empire did Marco Polo study for twenty-five years?
(a) The Spanish empire.
(b) The British empire.
(c) The Mongol empire.
(d) The Aztec empire.
8. Which two vegetables were the most important in central Europe during the Hapsburg dynasty?
(a) Lettuce and carrots.
(b) Pickles and sauerkraut.
(c) Coleslaw and baked beans.
(d) Kim-chi and spinach.
9. Which of the following Italian cities flourished after the fall of Rome?
10. What became the most important salt producing town in England in the 9th century?
11. Who is known as the most famous of Genoese sailors?
(a) Arraggi Sacchi.
(b) Christopher Columbus.
(c) Marco Polo.
(d) Fernando Torres.
12. What prevents salt from absorbing into meat?
13. Which town eventually conquered Veleia?
14. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
(a) The tartar steak trade.
(b) The Garum sauce trade.
(c) The saltstone trade.
(d) The salted fish trade.
15. What did Veleia have that helped in the production of salt?
(a) A salt mine.
(b) An underground salt spring.
(c) A salt montain.
(d) A salt lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Spanish town does the author mention in this section?
2. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
3. What was known as Cordona's main treasure?
4. What European language group is Basque related to?
5. How did the salt wars start?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)