|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous explorer does the author mention in this section?
(a) Dean wren.
(b) James Cook.
(c) Christopher Columbus.
(d) Marco Polo.
2. Who is Saint Barbara the patron saint of?
(a) German sailors.
(b) British sailors.
(c) German salt traders.
(d) German salt miners.
3. Why did Egyptian priests abstain from salt?
(a) It excited sexual desire.
(b) It damaged one's skin.
(c) It was addictive.
(d) It killed brain power.
4. What food product was particularly popular in Rome and abroad?
(a) Pickled eggs.
(b) Pickled gherkin.
(c) Salted fish.
(d) Salted olive.
5. What meat were the Celts best known for?
(a) Tartar steak.
(d) Beef steak.
6. What did the Romans call the salt they gave out to everybody?
(a) Salt of the earth.
(b) Pleb salt.
(c) The people's salt.
(d) Common salt.
7. How is Yi Dun believed to have made salt?
(a) By leaving brine out in the sun.
(b) By soaking the saltstone in drinking water.
(c) By chipping the salt stone into small pieces.
(d) By boiling brine in iron pans.
8. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
(c) The radio.
(d) The compass.
9. What was known as Cordona's main treasure?
(a) A mountain of salt.
(b) A gold mine.
(c) A sealake.
(d) A silver mine.
10. Which salted dish became particularly popular throughout Europe?
11. What is the name of the salt lake the Chinese fought over?
(a) Lake Shanxi.
(b) Lake Panieux.
(c) Lake Pang.
(d) Lake Yuncheng.
12. What prevents salt from absorbing into meat?
13. What is the title of Chapter 10?
(a) The American Salt Wars.
(b) The Leaving of Liverpool.
(c) The German Sauerkraut.
(d) The Hapsburg Pickle.
14. What do Parma locals combine milk curds with to make their cheese?
15. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
Short Answer Questions
1. What took over the Mediterranean Sea as the main trade route for salt?
2. What the area of Bohemia now called?
3. What famous drilling technique became the most advance drilling technique for seven or eight centuries?
4. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
5. What two groups was Rome divided between?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)