|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which salted dish became particularly popular throughout Europe?
2. What European language group is Basque related to?
3. What group was the ruling class of Rome?
(a) The democrats.
(b) The patricians.
(c) The regiments.
(d) The plebeians.
4. What prevents salt from absorbing into meat?
5. Which country does the author write about in Chapter 12?
6. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
(a) It was a condiment used to salt food.
(b) It was used as a medicine.
(c) It is a black liquid.
(d) It contained soy beans.
7. Which Chinese river is known as the father of floods?
(a) The Yangtze.
(b) The Yellow River.
(c) The Yangez.
(d) The Green River.
8. What did Veleia have that helped in the production of salt?
(a) A salt mine.
(b) A salt montain.
(c) A salt lake.
(d) An underground salt spring.
9. How is Yi Dun believed to have made salt?
(a) By boiling brine in iron pans.
(b) By soaking the saltstone in drinking water.
(c) By chipping the salt stone into small pieces.
(d) By leaving brine out in the sun.
10. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
11. Which culture was known to have a God of Salt?
(a) The native Americans.
(b) The Romans.
(c) The Chinese.
(d) The Greeks.
12. On what day did the Catholics ban the eating of meat?
13. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
(a) The compass.
(c) The radio.
14. What did the Parma locals feed their pigs?
15. What fish needs to be salted immediately or it will go bad?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the French age their cheese in?
2. What meat is Parma famous for producing?
3. Why did the Romans used to salt their greens?
4. What meat were the Celts best known for?
5. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)