|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which town eventually conquered Veleia?
2. Why was the payment the Roman soldiers received called a salary?
(a) They celebrated their salary with a heavily salted meal.
(b) They used their money to buy salt for their families.
(c) They often saved up their money to buy salt mines.
(d) They were sometimes paid in salt.
3. How does one know if an English town was once a salt producing town?
(a) It has a Cathedral.
(b) It has pool at the end of its name.
(c) It has wich at the end of its name.
(d) It now has closed off mines.
4. How did the plebeians usually make their money?
(a) Through writings.
(b) Through labor work.
(c) Through performing.
(d) Through begging.
5. Which emperor lead the Romans to victory against the Celts?
6. On what day did the Catholics ban the eating of meat?
7. What famous American had Parmesan shipped to America?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Benjaman Franklyn,
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
8. Which Spanish town does the author mention in this section?
9. What is the name of the salt lake the Chinese fought over?
(a) Lake Panieux.
(b) Lake Shanxi.
(c) Lake Pang.
(d) Lake Yuncheng.
10. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
(a) The tartar steak trade.
(b) The Garum sauce trade.
(c) The salted fish trade.
(d) The saltstone trade.
11. What took over the Mediterranean Sea as the main trade route for salt?
(a) The Indian Ocean.
(b) The Atlantic Ocean.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Dead Sea.
12. What color would the Celts paint their bodies when fighting?
13. What is the name of the national dish of Poland?
(a) Nakladany Hermelin.
14. What did the Egyptians mix with Brine to make Oxalme?
(a) Olive oil.
15. What was known as Cordona's main treasure?
(a) A silver mine.
(b) A gold mine.
(c) A mountain of salt.
(d) A sealake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vegetable did the French peasants serve lean blubber with?
2. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
3. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
4. In which state did Jefferson live?
5. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)