|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the national dish of Poland?
(c) Nakladany Hermelin.
2. Which Chinese river is known as the father of floods?
(a) The Yangtze.
(b) The Yangez.
(c) The Yellow River.
(d) The Green River.
3. What is the title of Chapter 6?
(a) A Sprinkle of Salt Goes a Long Way.
(b) Opening the Way for Others.
(c) The Salt of the Earth.
(d) Two Ports and the Prosciutto in Between.
4. Which two vegetables were the most important in central Europe during the Hapsburg dynasty?
(a) Kim-chi and spinach.
(b) Coleslaw and baked beans.
(c) Lettuce and carrots.
(d) Pickles and sauerkraut.
5. What took over the Mediterranean Sea as the main trade route for salt?
(a) The Dead Sea.
(b) The Pacific Ocean.
(c) The Atlantic Ocean.
(d) The Indian Ocean.
6. Which of the following countries did the Hapsburgs not rule over?
(c) Czech Republic.
7. What did the Romans call the salt they gave out to everybody?
(a) Common salt.
(b) The people's salt.
(c) Pleb salt.
(d) Salt of the earth.
8. On what day did the Catholics ban the eating of meat?
9. Which town eventually conquered Veleia?
10. What famous drilling technique became the most advance drilling technique for seven or eight centuries?
(a) Percussion drilling.
(b) Depth drilling.
(c) Capo drilling.
(d) Hotrod drilling.
11. What color would the Celts paint their bodies when fighting?
12. What meat were the Celts best known for?
(b) Tartar steak.
(d) Beef steak.
13. What culture is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
14. For which Italian city did the Barcelonans buy imported salt?
15. Which empire did Marco Polo study for twenty-five years?
(a) The Spanish empire.
(b) The Aztec empire.
(c) The British empire.
(d) The Mongol empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group was the ruling class of Rome?
2. What had to be done to English bacon before one cooked it?
3. What did the purple dye represent?
4. Which culture was known to have a God of Salt?
5. What does the author say is the lesser known river of England?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)