|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food product was particularly popular in Rome and abroad?
(a) Salted olive.
(b) Salted fish.
(c) Pickled eggs.
(d) Pickled gherkin.
2. How is Yi Dun believed to have made salt?
(a) By soaking the saltstone in drinking water.
(b) By chipping the salt stone into small pieces.
(c) By boiling brine in iron pans.
(d) By leaving brine out in the sun.
3. What vegetable did the French peasants serve lean blubber with?
4. What kind of material did the Chinese use for the pipes of the first plumbing systems?
(a) Pine wood.
5. What famous American had Parmesan shipped to America?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Benjaman Franklyn,
(d) George Washington.
6. What is the name of the process in which the Japanese ferment beans in earthen pots?
(a) Lactic acid fermentation.
(c) Chloride fermentation.
7. How does one know if an English town was once a salt producing town?
(a) It has pool at the end of its name.
(b) It now has closed off mines.
(c) It has wich at the end of its name.
(d) It has a Cathedral.
8. What culture is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. What is the title of Chapter 10?
(a) The Leaving of Liverpool.
(b) The German Sauerkraut.
(c) The American Salt Wars.
(d) The Hapsburg Pickle.
10. What did the Parma locals feed their pigs?
11. What had to be done to English bacon before one cooked it?
(a) Dip it in water.
(b) Cover it with egg yolk.
(c) Hand it out to dry.
(d) Scrub with a cloth.
12. What is ketchup named after?
(a) An Indonesian fish.
(b) A Chinese philosopher.
(c) A British salt miner.
(d) A Czech engineer.
13. Which continent did the Vikings go to in search of cod?
(b) South America.
(d) North America.
14. What did the Egyptians mix with Brine to make Oxalme?
(b) Olive oil.
15. Which country does the author write about in Chapter 12?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which emperor lead the Romans to victory against the Celts?
2. What do the French age their cheese in?
3. Why did the Romans used to salt their greens?
4. What Irish dish became the official meat of the British navy?
5. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)