|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Parmigiano-Reggiano more commonly known as?
(a) Parma ham.
(b) Cheddar cheese.
(c) Stilton cheese.
(d) Parmesan cheese.
2. What is the title of Chapter 13?
(a) What is Freedom?
(b) Preserving Independece.
(c) Salt and Independence.
(d) Liberte, Egalite, Tax Breaks.
3. What turns the brine into salt crystals?
(b) Solar evaporation.
(c) Over heating.
(d) Water drenching.
4. What had to be done to English bacon before one cooked it?
(a) Dip it in water.
(b) Scrub with a cloth.
(c) Cover it with egg yolk.
(d) Hand it out to dry.
5. What is the title of Chapter 10?
(a) The Leaving of Liverpool.
(b) The American Salt Wars.
(c) The German Sauerkraut.
(d) The Hapsburg Pickle.
6. Which empire did Marco Polo study for twenty-five years?
(a) The Mongol empire.
(b) The British empire.
(c) The Spanish empire.
(d) The Aztec empire.
7. What kind of material did the Chinese use for the pipes of the first plumbing systems?
(d) Pine wood.
8. What culture is the author talking about at the beginning of Chapter 8?
9. On what day did the Catholics ban the eating of meat?
10. What prevents salt from absorbing into meat?
11. Which Spanish town does the author mention in this section?
12. What famous drilling technique became the most advance drilling technique for seven or eight centuries?
(a) Capo drilling.
(b) Hotrod drilling.
(c) Depth drilling.
(d) Percussion drilling.
13. How did the salt wars start?
(a) Salzburg closed their borders.
(b) Salzburg tried to undercut their salt prices.
(c) Salzburg destroyed their salt mines.
(d) Satzburg refused to sell salt to foreigners.
14. Which continent did the Vikings go to in search of cod?
(b) South America.
(d) North America.
15. What famous American had Parmesan shipped to America?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Benjaman Franklyn,
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) George Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the process in which the Japanese ferment beans in earthen pots?
2. Who is Saint Barbara the patron saint of?
3. Which town eventually conquered Veleia?
4. What is the direct translation of Saltzburg?
5. Who did the Basques learn shipbuilding from?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)