|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2 Summary (Chapter 3 Saltmen Hard as Codfish, Chapter 4 Salt's Salad Days).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Chinese river is known as the father of floods?
(a) The Yangtze.
(b) The Yangez.
(c) The Yellow River.
(d) The Green River.
2. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
(a) The Egyptians.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Chinese.
(d) The Romans.
3. What kind of sauce is Garum?
(a) Chili sauce.
(b) Tomato sauce.
(c) Fish sauce.
(d) Cheese sauce.
4. What kind of material did the Chinese use for the pipes of the first plumbing systems?
(c) Pine wood.
5. How did the plebeians usually make their money?
(a) Through labor work.
(b) Through begging.
(c) Through writings.
(d) Through performing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two stones does the author say the rock was a cross between?
2. How do the Chinese refer to the system of harvesting the square crystals on the surface of the water?
3. Why was the payment the Roman soldiers received called a salary?
4. What is the direct translation of Saltzburg?
5. What food product was particularly popular in Rome and abroad?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)