|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2 Summary (Chapter 3 Saltmen Hard as Codfish, Chapter 4 Salt's Salad Days).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the process in which the Japanese ferment beans in earthen pots?
(a) Chloride fermentation.
(c) Lactic acid fermentation.
2. In what way is Garum similar to soy sauce?
(a) It was a condiment used to salt food.
(b) It contained soy beans.
(c) It was used as a medicine.
(d) It is a black liquid.
3. What is Ernest Jones famous for bring to Britain and the USA?
4. Which Chinese river is known as the father of floods?
(a) The Yellow River.
(b) The Yangtze.
(c) The Yangez.
(d) The Green River.
5. What did the purple dye represent?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Yi Dun believed to have made salt?
2. Which of the following industries was one of the cornerstones of the Roman economy?
3. What kind of sauce is Garum?
4. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
5. What is the name of the salt lake the Chinese fought over?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)