|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 9(Chapter 21 Salt and the Great Soul, Chapter 22 Not Looking Back, Chapter 23 The Last Day of Zigong).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which was most likely the first civilization to realize salting food could preserve it?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) The Egyptians.
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The Romans.
2. On what day did the Catholics ban the eating of meat?
3. What is the name of the mountain made entirely from rock salt?
(a) Mount Nazareth.
(b) Mount Sodom.
(c) Mount Exodus.
(d) Mount Leone.
4. Why did the British claim it was okay to kidnap American soldiers?
(a) They were not men of God.
(b) They were slave owners.
(c) They had British wives.
(d) They had deserted from the British Navy.
5. What is the name of the process in which the Japanese ferment beans in earthen pots?
(c) Lactic acid fermentation.
(d) Chloride fermentation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does one know if an English town was once a salt producing town?
2. Which Spanish town does the author mention in this section?
3. What fish did the Basque find was more valuable than whale meat?
4. On which river are the Salzburg and Hallein salt mines located?
5. How do the Chinese refer to the system of harvesting the square crystals on the surface of the water?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)