Section 1 Summary (Introduction The Rock, Chapter 1 A Mandate of Salt, Chapter 2 Fish, Fowl, and Pharaohs)
1. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
2. What two stones does the author say the rock was a cross between?
(a) Sand stone and marble.
(b) Marble and soap.
(c) Soap and quartz.
(d) Lime stome and quartz.
3. What turns the brine into salt crystals?
(a) Water drenching.
(c) Solar evaporation.
(d) Over heating.
4. What is Ernest Jones famous for bring to Britain and the USA?
5. Why did Egyptian priests abstain from salt?
(a) It excited sexual desire.
(b) It was addictive.
(c) It damaged one's skin.
(d) It killed brain power.
6. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
(b) The compass.
(d) The radio.
7. What is the name of the salt lake the Chinese fought over?
(a) Lake Shanxi.
(b) Lake Panieux.
(c) Lake Yuncheng.
(d) Lake Pang.
8. How do the Chinese refer to the system of harvesting the square crystals on the surface of the water?
(a) Dragging and gathering.
(b) Filing and combing.
(c) Carving and holing.
(d) Chipping and licking.
This section contains 3,305 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)