Section 1 Summary (Introduction The Rock, Chapter 1 A Mandate of Salt, Chapter 2 Fish, Fowl, and Pharaohs)
1. In which country does the author say he bought the rock?
2. What two stones does the author say the rock was a cross between?
(a) Marble and soap.
(b) Soap and quartz.
(c) Sand stone and marble.
(d) Lime stome and quartz.
3. What turns the brine into salt crystals?
(b) Water drenching.
(c) Over heating.
(d) Solar evaporation.
4. What is Ernest Jones famous for bring to Britain and the USA?
5. Why did Egyptian priests abstain from salt?
(a) It was addictive.
(b) It killed brain power.
(c) It excited sexual desire.
(d) It damaged one's skin.
6. Which of the following did the Chinese not invent?
(b) The radio.
(d) The compass.
7. What is the name of the salt lake the Chinese fought over?
(a) Lake Shanxi.
(b) Lake Yuncheng.
(c) Lake Pang.
(d) Lake Panieux.
8. How do the Chinese refer to the system of harvesting the square crystals on the surface of the water?
(a) Carving and holing.
(b) Dragging and gathering.
(c) Filing and combing.
(d) Chipping and licking.
This section contains 3,305 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)