|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What building on the UCLA campus housed the Tutorial Center?
2. Who said that correctness was the era's "most significant measure of accomplished prose"?
3. What class were developmental students required to take at a state college in Ohio?
4. What was Harold's fourth grade teacher's recommendation for him?
5. What class of Mike's was Concepcion Baca in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mike say was the link between students' backgrounds and their success or failure in college?
2. How did Mike help Millie on the word comprehension test?
3. What types of exercises did the students do in Basic English?
4. How did Mike use poems and songs to teach language to the veterans?
5. Why did Mike feel summarizing was a crucial skill?
6. What did Mike learn about developing curriculum from his time spent in El Monte?
7. According to Mike, what should be the focus of new college students?
8. What did Arthur do when he went mad?
9. What struck Mike most about people struggling to learn?
10. What did Mike say students needed to be able to succeed in college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Mike challenged the education system that was in place at the time the book was written. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the focus placed on test results and how it affected students' placement in school. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how not having advocates for their success in the school system affected students' performances. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)