|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Kathy feel at UCLA?
2. What did Mike choose as the subject of his curriculum in the Veteran's Program?
3. Where did Mike say he did his most unusual teaching?
4. What did Mike suggest Suzette use to avoid repetition in her writing?
5. What word did Mike use referring to the lively UCLA building where he worked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mike discover about Harold as a student?
2. What was Jerry Williams' reaction when he was told he couldn't take the final exam?
3. According to Mike, what should be the focus of new college students?
4. What types of exercises did the students do in Basic English?
5. How did students react when they were assigned to take the English as a Second Language class?
6. What did Mike learn about developing curriculum from his time spent in El Monte?
7. Why did Mike feel men joined the Veterans Program?
8. Why did Mike feel summarizing was a crucial skill?
9. What did Mike say was the link between students' backgrounds and their success or failure in college?
10. Why did Mike believe that the students' loneliness at UCLA was rooted in language?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how in some ways Mike's childhood helped him to understand and fit into El Monte and how in some ways it prevented him from understanding El Monte. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connection that Mike felt with some of his students from the Veterans Program. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what effect Mike's experience with literary works had on his teaching methods. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)