|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Andrea when she moved to America?
2. What type of course did students take in the Freshman Summer Program?
3. Where did Mike say he did his most unusual teaching?
4. What was Robert Cole looking for in his investigations of childhood morality?
5. What skill did Mike believe was critical?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mike feel summarizing was a crucial skill?
2. Why did Mike say that teachers in some neighborhoods were unable to do anything for their students?
3. What struck Mike most about people struggling to learn?
4. What was Jerry Williams' reaction when he was told he couldn't take the final exam?
5. How did students react when they were assigned to take the English as a Second Language class?
6. What did Mike say was the base of twentieth century English education?
7. In what way did Mike believe the education system required too much from their schools?
8. Why did Mike think Harold's favorite song was "My Boyfriend's Back" by the Angels.
9. What did Mike discover about Harold as a student?
10. According to Mike, turn-of-the-century English education was based on what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Mike challenged the education system that was in place at the time the book was written. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Mike's background affected his teaching methods. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the methods that Mike used to teach his students in El Monte. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)