|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was Mrs. Morton's hair?
2. What was Robert Cole looking for in his investigations of childhood morality?
3. When Mike was thirteen, what did he listen to with unease?
4. Where did Mike go to learn more about counseling?
5. According to Mike who initiated counter literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mike say was the link between students' backgrounds and their success or failure in college?
2. What was Jerry Williams' reaction when he was told he couldn't take the final exam?
3. What did Mike say students needed to be able to succeed in college?
4. Why did Mike feel summarizing was a crucial skill?
5. Why did Mike say educators viewed the poor as being different?
6. What did Mike's work in the Veterans Program help him to do in his life?
7. How did Mike use poems and songs to teach language to the veterans?
8. Why did Mike believe that the students' loneliness at UCLA was rooted in language?
9. What did Mike discover about Harold as a student?
10. What did Mike struggle with when writing the procedures he used in his dissertation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Mike's involvement in counseling affected his life. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how students from poor backgrounds were viewed in school. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Mike challenged the education system that was in place at the time the book was written. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)