|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence of her feelings has Edith given everyone in the house?
2. How does Edith react when Hofmiller does not respond to her story the way she wants?
3. How does Hofmiller react when Edith tries to walk to him, but falls at his feet?
4. What two reasons does Hofmiller give for his inability to join the family on the trip to the sanitarium?
5. When Hofmiller tells Dr. Condor about Edith's kiss and her letter, why is Condor angry with himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hofmiller goes to the castle the day after telling Kekesfalva about the potential cure for Edith, what does he discover Kekesfalva has done to complicate the situation further?
2. Why is Hofmiller so willing to go to war after Edith's death?
3. Describe Dr. Condor's feelings about his marriage to Klara.
4. How does Edith use the threat of suicide in an attempt to influence Hofmiller?
5. Why is Hofmiller unable to commit to accompanying Edith and her family to the sanitarium?
6. How does Hofmiller react when Edith angrily asks why he bothers coming to see her and her family?
7. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller about the nature of pity?
8. How does Dr. Condor come to the conclusion that Hofmiller is planning to flee rather than facing up to his situation with Edith and her family?
9. What event occurs to put a damper on Hofmiller's happiness when he returns to his barracks after the trip to the horse farm?
10. Describe the many changes in Edith's mood during the trip to the horse farm.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After reading and reflecting on the entire novel, who do you think is the more sympathetic and likable character, Edith or Hofmiller? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Examine foreshadowing in "Beware of Pity". How were important events in the book foreshadowed, including Edith's suicide, Kekesfalva's death and the disastrous results of Hofmiller's pity for the family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Hofmiller's relationships with his friends, including Ferencz, his fellow soldiers and Balinkay. What is the general nature of their various relationships? What could he have learned from his friends that might have benefited him in the long run?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)