|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edith feel after Hofmiller tells her about his financial condition?
2. After leaving the military, what did Balinkay do?
3. Later on the night following their trip, from whom does Hofmiller receive a note?
4. Why is the family delayed when they are returning home from their day trip?
5. Why does Condor not trust Hofmiller to make his situation with Edith right again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hofmiller initially refuse Kekesfalva's request that he marry Edith in return for Kekesfalva giving him his entire fortune?
2. How does Hofmiller react when Edith first suggests that he kiss her?
3. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller about the new treatment that makes his lies even worse?
4. What is Edith's suggested solution when Hofmiller convinces her that he cannot afford the trip to the sanitarium?
5. Why does Hofmiller think it's his fault that Edith has fallen in love with him?
6. What are Ilona's feelings about the situation between Edith and Hofmiller once Edith's love for him has been revealed?
7. What prompts Hofmiller to turn away from the idea of leaving the military and taking a job with Balinkay?
8. How does Edith use the threat of suicide in an attempt to influence Hofmiller?
9. What happens at the end of the book to make Hofmiller realize he'll never be free of his guilt?
10. Describe the many changes in Edith's mood during the trip to the horse farm.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Hofmiller's sense of responsibility impacts his actions and the fate of the Kekesfalva family. How does he come to feel increasingly responsible for Edith and her family? How does he handle that responsibility?
Essay Topic 2
Edith is a very complex character and often behaves in contradictory ways. Discuss some of those contradictions, including how she seems to feel and behave with regard to her disability and her feelings toward Hofmiller.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Hofmiller's feelings for Edith and his relationship with her with Dr. Condor's relationship with his wife.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)