|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Kekesfalva after Edith's death?
2. Realizing the predicament his lies have caused, what does Hofmiller decide to do?
3. What two reasons does Hofmiller give for his inability to join the family on the trip to the sanitarium?
4. What disability does Dr. Condor's wife have?
5. How does Edith commit suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Condor think that if Hofmiller runs away from his situation with Edith, he will essentially be committing murder?
2. What event occurs to put a damper on Hofmiller's happiness when he returns to his barracks after the trip to the horse farm?
3. When Hofmiller goes to the castle the day after telling Kekesfalva about the potential cure for Edith, what does he discover Kekesfalva has done to complicate the situation further?
4. Describe the many changes in Edith's mood during the trip to the horse farm.
5. Why does Hofmiller think Balinkay is a good person to seek out for advice on his situation?
6. At one point in the book's last section, Hofmiller believes he has resolved his dilemma by agreeing to marry Edith if she recovers from her disability, believing that it will never be an issue because she won't recover. What does Edith do to burst his bubble?
7. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller about the new treatment that makes his lies even worse?
8. How does an unforeseen and unrelated political event lead to Edith's suicide?
9. How might Hofmiller have resolved his situation during his visit to the castle, after seeing the family's excitement about the potential new treatment?
10. What prompts Hofmiller to turn away from the idea of leaving the military and taking a job with Balinkay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hofmiller's relationship with Herr Kekesfalva and his family begins with a simple dinner invitation, but by the end of the book, it has had a dramatic effect on the lives of all the primary characters. Discuss the evolution of his relationship with the family. Why does it change so quickly? How does Hofmiller's personality lead him into such a complex relationship with the family?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the reader learns that appearances can be deceiving and things are not always what they seem to be. Discuss this concept, including references to the characters of Dr. Condor, Hofmiller, Edith and Kekesfalva.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the relationship of trust that develops between Kekesfalva and Hofmiller. How does Kekesfalva's trust begin and how does it develop over time? What effect does Kekesfalva's trust have on Hofmiller and how does it affect his actions with regard to Edith?
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)