|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kekesfalva like Dr. Condor so much?
2. Princess Orosvar left her entire estate to Fraulein Annette Beate Dietzenhof. What had been their relationship?
3. What did Dietzenhof eventually tell Kekesfalva she wanted to do with her estate?
4. How does the main character, Hofmiller, say his story began?
5. What does Kekesfalva do after getting into his car, as he and Hofmiller are saying goodbye after their conversation about Edith's potential cure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hofmiller mean when he says that everything that happens in the book began with a blunder?
2. What is Dr. Condor's initial assessment of Edith's current medical condition?
3. Why is Hofmiller so delighted when he sees Ilona outside the cafe after he has spent the evening there with his friends rather than going to the castle?
4. When Hofmiller has tea with Edith and Ilona, what does he learn about what caused Edith to become particularly upset about his invitation to dance?
5. How did Kekesfalva change after marrying Dietzenhof?
6. What is the difference between how Hofmiller initially feels about Ilona and how he feels about Edith?
7. How does Hofmiller's decision to have his men trot rather than gallop their horses reflect the title of the book?
8. Although Hofmiller finds himself enjoying his new sense of power and the comfort of being with with the Kekesfalva family, what keeps him from enjoying those feelings completely?
9. Why does Hofmiller flee from Kekesfalva's home after his blunder causes Edith to become upset?
10. Why does Hofmiller attach so much importance to Kekesfalva's request that he speak to Dr. Condor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between honor and deceit in Hofmiller's life. In what ways does he show that honor is important to him? How does he betray his own sense of honor through his actions with regard to Edith?
Essay Topic 2
Edith is a very complex character and often behaves in contradictory ways. Discuss some of those contradictions, including how she seems to feel and behave with regard to her disability and her feelings toward Hofmiller.
Essay Topic 3
In your opinion, are Hofmiller and Edith well suited for each other? Are there personality traits that would make them a good match? Are there traits that would make their relationship toxic?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)