|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hofmiller hesitate when Kekesfalva insists that his driver take Hofmiller home on a rainy night?
2. After angrily confronting Hofmiller about lying to her, what does Edith tell him about continuing to visit the family?
3. How does Ilona initially react to seeing Hofmiller in the street after he does not appear for dinner as has become his custom?
4. How did Dietzenhof respond when Kekesfalva told her that she could probably get about 150,000 crowns for the estate?
5. When Hofmiller imagines Edith cured of her disability, what does he picture her doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. After having a chance to speak with each other privately, how do Hofmiller and Dr. Condor change their initial impressions of each other?
2. When Hofmiller has tea with Edith and Ilona, what does he learn about what caused Edith to become particularly upset about his invitation to dance?
3. Describe how Kekesfalva got off on the wrong foot with Dietzenhof when they first met.
4. How did Kekesfalva change after marrying Dietzenhof?
5. Why does Hofmiller attach so much importance to Kekesfalva's request that he speak to Dr. Condor?
6. Why did Kekesfalva not simply flee with the money he received from Dietzenhof after he bought the property from her?
7. Describe Hofmiller's reaction to meeting Dr. Condor for the first time.
8. Why is Hofmiller so delighted when he sees Ilona outside the cafe after he has spent the evening there with his friends rather than going to the castle?
9. What are some of the reasons Hofmiller finds himself gaining greater self confidence during his second evening in the Kekesfalva home?
10. Although Hofmiller finds himself enjoying his new sense of power and the comfort of being with with the Kekesfalva family, what keeps him from enjoying those feelings completely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book's last passages, Hofmiller reflects on the guilt he will always feel regarding his role in the Kekesfalva family's life. Discuss the role guilt plays in his character throughout the book. At what points does he feel guilt that perhaps he should not feel? At what points does he not feel guilty when he should? Do you think the guilt he feels at the end is genuine?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Hofmiller's relationships with his friends, including Ferencz, his fellow soldiers and Balinkay. What is the general nature of their various relationships? What could he have learned from his friends that might have benefited him in the long run?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between honor and deceit in Hofmiller's life. In what ways does he show that honor is important to him? How does he betray his own sense of honor through his actions with regard to Edith?
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)