|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Condor treat his wife?
(a) With disdain.
(b) With tenderness and patience.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) With rudeness and impatience.
2. What does Hofmiller admit is his greatest fear in this situation with Edith?
(a) That Edith will be hurt.
(b) Looking ridiculous.
(c) That Kekesfalva will hurt him.
(d) That he will lose Kekesfalva's friendship.
3. What does Hofmiller want to do about his lie regarding the new treatment?
(a) Wait a bit longer to tell the family the truth.
(b) Tell Edith the truth but ask her not to tell her father.
(c) Have Dr. Condor take the blame for the lie.
(d) Tell the family the truth as soon as possible.
4. What is Balinkay's relationship with Hofmiller's regiment?
(a) He has applied for a transfer from another regiment but has not been accepted yet.
(b) He is currently a member.
(c) He is the commanding officer of the regiment.
(d) He used to be a member but left.
5. What disability does Dr. Condor's wife have?
(a) She has lost her left arm.
(b) She is unable to speak.
(c) She is deaf.
(d) She is blind.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Edith's fall, where does Hofmiller go first?
2. Seeing Edith's happiness, to whom does Hofmiller compare himself?
3. What does Edith talk about with Hofmiller the morning after his conversation with Dr. Condor?
4. The book he is reading prompts Hofmiller to wonder if he is strong enough to do what?
5. After leaving the military, what did Balinkay do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hofmiller so willing to go to war after Edith's death?
2. How does Dr. Condor come to the conclusion that Hofmiller is planning to flee rather than facing up to his situation with Edith and her family?
3. Why is Hofmiller surprised by the loving relationship between Dr. Condor and his wife?
4. What is Edith's suggested solution when Hofmiller convinces her that he cannot afford the trip to the sanitarium?
5. Why does Hofmiller initially refuse Kekesfalva's request that he marry Edith in return for Kekesfalva giving him his entire fortune?
6. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller about the new treatment that makes his lies even worse?
7. Why does Hofmiller think Balinkay is a good person to seek out for advice on his situation?
8. Describe Dr. Condor's feelings about his marriage to Klara.
9. Why does Hofmiller not admit that he has exaggerated the potential for the new treatment to cure Edith?
10. How does Edith use the threat of suicide in an attempt to influence Hofmiller?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)