|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ilona tell Hofmiller he needs to be nice to Edith?
(a) She doesn't have long to live.
(b) He will miss her while she's away at the sanitarium.
(c) She always hates herself after she throws a tantrum.
(d) They have to appease her to keep her from having more outbursts.
2. After Edith is taken away following her fall, what does Hofmiller do?
(a) He asks Ilona for her advice.
(b) He goes to her to apologize.
(c) He formally asks Kekesfalva for her hand in marriage.
(d) He flees from the house.
3. What disability does Dr. Condor's wife have?
(a) She is unable to speak.
(b) She has lost her left arm.
(c) She is blind.
(d) She is deaf.
4. How does Hofmiller feel when he wakes up the morning after telling Kekesfalva about the potential new cure?
(a) He is upset that Kekesfalva has not called.
(b) He is angry at himself for lying.
(c) He is angry at Dr. Condor.
(d) He is happy to have brought peace to his friend.
5. What does Hofmiller want to do about his lie regarding the new treatment?
(a) Tell the family the truth as soon as possible.
(b) Wait a bit longer to tell the family the truth.
(c) Tell Edith the truth but ask her not to tell her father.
(d) Have Dr. Condor take the blame for the lie.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hofmiller realizes that Edith is in love with him, who does he blame?
2. What does Condor ask Hofmiller to do about his situation with Edith?
3. How does Dr. Condor know Hofmiller told Kekesfalva about the new treatment?
4. Realizing the predicament his lies have caused, what does Hofmiller decide to do?
5. Who do Dr. Condor and Hofmiller decide will tell the family the truth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Dr. Condor's feelings about his marriage to Klara.
2. Why does Dr. Condor think that if Hofmiller runs away from his situation with Edith, he will essentially be committing murder?
3. How does Hofmiller react when Edith first suggests that he kiss her?
4. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller about the nature of pity?
5. Why does Hofmiller see suicide as the only solution to his problems?
6. Why does Hofmiller think Balinkay is a good person to seek out for advice on his situation?
7. Why is Hofmiller unable to commit to accompanying Edith and her family to the sanitarium?
8. Describe the many changes in Edith's mood during the trip to the horse farm.
9. How does an unforeseen and unrelated political event lead to Edith's suicide?
10. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller about the new treatment that makes his lies even worse?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)