|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Princess Orosvar left her entire estate to Fraulein Annette Beate Dietzenhof. What had been their relationship?
(a) Dietzenhof was the daughter of her closest friend.
(b) Dietzenhof had been her companion and assistant.
(c) Dietzenhof was her oldest friend from childhood.
(d) Dietzenhof was her illegitimate daughter.
2. When Ilona asks Hofmiller why he did not come to the castle, what lie does he tell her?
(a) He admits that he simply did not want to come.
(b) He says he had to inspect a horse his Colonel wanted to buy.
(c) He says he fell asleep and didn't wake up until it was too late.
(d) He says his parents had arrived unexpectedly for a visit.
3. What happens when Hofmiller arrives at the castle to thank Kekesfalva for the dinner invitation?
(a) Kekesfalva invites him to stay for tea.
(b) The family is offended and rescinds his dinner invitation.
(c) The family is not at home.
(d) He is turned away because he doesn't have an appointment.
4. Sitting in the café alone after buying Dietzenhof's property, how did Kekesfalva decide to handle his guilt over tricking her?
(a) He decided to sell it immediately and give her half the money.
(b) He decided that guilt is a useless emotion and refused to let it consume him.
(c) He decided he'd give her the opportunity to take it back.
(d) He decided to go to church and make a confession.
5. Why does Edith keep secret pictures of dancers?
(a) She hopes to become an artist.
(b) Her father doesn't approve of the pictures, so she keeps them hidden.
(c) She loved dancing before her accident.
(d) She sells them to make extra money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pretense did Kekesfalva use for coming to the house to talk with Dietzenhof?
2. From whom did Kekesfalva learn to read and write?
3. What kind of personality did Dietzenhof have?
4. What is Hofmiller's first impression of Dr. Condor?
5. When Hofmiller is training with his men the morning following his tea with Edith, why does he order them to stop galloping and trot their horses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kekesfalva want Hofmiller to talk with Dr. Condor about Edith's condition rather than talking to the doctor himself?
2. Why did Kekesfalva not simply flee with the money he received from Dietzenhof after he bought the property from her?
3. How did Kekesfalva change after marrying Dietzenhof?
4. How does Hofmiller's report to Kekesfalva differ from the actual information he was given by Dr. Condor?
5. Why does Hofmiller flee from Kekesfalva's home after his blunder causes Edith to become upset?
6. How did Kekesfalva trick Dietzenhof with regard to the worth of her property?
7. What is Hofmiller's real motivation in accepting Edith's invitation to tea?
8. After having a chance to speak with each other privately, how do Hofmiller and Dr. Condor change their initial impressions of each other?
9. How does Hofmiller's upbringing lead him to respond when he receives a dinner invitation from Kekesfalva?
10. Why does Kekesfalva become upset with Dr. Condor during their discussion of Edith's condition?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)