|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller the details about Kekesfalva's past?
(a) Kekesfalva asked him to fill Hofmiller in on his background.
(b) He wants Hofmiller to understand Kekesfalva better and not believe any gossip he might hear from others.
(c) It makes him feel important to have so much private information to share with Hofmiller.
(d) He enjoys gossip and thinks Hofmiller might like it also.
2. How does Edith react when she receives Hofmiller's flowers?
(a) She asks her father to invite him for dinner.
(b) She invites him to tea.
(c) She returns the flowers with an angry note.
(d) She phones him to say thanks.
3. How does Edith react when Hofmiller asks her to dance?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She gives him a shy smile and turns away.
(c) She is horrified and begins to sob.
(d) She is delighted by the attention being paid to her.
4. How does Dr. Condor behave during dinner with Hofmiller and Kekesfalva?
(a) He is a lively dinner companion, entertaining everyone with stories about his travels.
(b) He bores the others with long stories about his medical research.
(c) He eats only a little and lectures the others on the dangers of overeating.
(d) He stuffs himself with food and wine, ignoring everyone at the table.
5. How does Dr. Condor describe Kekesfalva's background?
(a) He was the only child of wealthy parents.
(b) He was born into a family with royal connections.
(c) He grew up as a poor Jew named Leopold Kanitz.
(d) He grew up in a German orphanage.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Hofmiller find Edith most attractive?
2. Is Dr. Condor actively pursuing a cure for Edith?
3. After Dietzenhof completed the sale of the property without realizing Kekesfalva was the actual buyer, what caused him to begin to feel guilty about taking advantage of her?
4. What happens at the second dinner that makes Hofmiller feel especially happy and powerful?
5. What does Hofmiller see as the only negative aspect of the time he spends with Kekesfalva and his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Kekesfalva change after marrying Dietzenhof?
2. Briefly describe how Kekesfalva began his rise from poverty to wealth.
3. Although Hofmiller finds himself enjoying his new sense of power and the comfort of being with with the Kekesfalva family, what keeps him from enjoying those feelings completely?
4. After having a chance to speak with each other privately, how do Hofmiller and Dr. Condor change their initial impressions of each other?
5. How does Hofmiller's report to Kekesfalva differ from the actual information he was given by Dr. Condor?
6. What is Dr. Condor's initial assessment of Edith's current medical condition?
7. When Hofmiller has tea with Edith and Ilona, what does he learn about what caused Edith to become particularly upset about his invitation to dance?
8. When Hofmiller's friends tease him about his relationship with Kekesfalva and his family, what does Hofmiller decide to do about the situation?
9. What is the difference between how Hofmiller initially feels about Ilona and how he feels about Edith?
10. How does learning about his past affect Hofmiller's feelings about Kekesfalva?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)