|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at the second dinner that makes Hofmiller feel especially happy and powerful?
(a) Kekesfalva invites him to go on vacation with the family.
(b) The Lt. Colonel offers him a promotion.
(c) All the women want to dance with him.
(d) He is able to entertain the women and sees that Kekesfalva notices.
2. When telling him about the potential treatment for Edith, what does Hofmiller finally end up promising Kekesfalva?
(a) He promises that he'll accompany Edith to France so she can get the new treatment.
(b) He promises that Edith will get well very soon.
(c) He promises that he'll take care of Edith if Kekesfalva dies.
(d) He promises that he'll marry Edith.
3. According to the introduction, in what way did Zweig's life mirror that of his main character, Hofmiller?
(a) He named the character after his brother.
(b) They shared similar taste in books.
(c) He was also an army officer.
(d) He married a very young, very naïve secretary.
4. Why did Princess Orosvar cut her relatives out of her will?
(a) She disagreed with their political views.
(b) She disowned them after marrying into another family.
(c) She learned that she had been adopted and they were not related to her by blood.
(d) She learned that while she had been seriously ill, they had fought among themselves about who would get what portions of her estate as they waited for her to die.
5. What does Kekesfalva do after getting into his car, as he and Hofmiller are saying goodbye after their conversation about Edith's potential cure?
(a) He tells Hofmiller he cares for him like a son.
(b) He asks Hofmiller to speak with Dr. Condor again and get more information.
(c) He kisses Hofmiller's hands repeatedly.
(d) He invites Hofmiller to accompany him and Edith to France.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hofmiller do after Ilona explains the reason Edith became so upset at the dinner party?
2. Why does Edith not dance with Hofmiller?
3. Why is Hofmiller uncomfortable when he first arrives at the dinner party?
4. Why is Hofmiller so confused by the range of emotions Edith and her family brings forth in him?
5. Why does Edith keep secret pictures of dancers?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hofmiller has tea with Edith and Ilona, what does he learn about what caused Edith to become particularly upset about his invitation to dance?
2. What is Hofmiller's real motivation in accepting Edith's invitation to tea?
3. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller about the effectiveness of the treatment plan he is using with Edith?
4. Why is Hofmiller so delighted when he sees Ilona outside the cafe after he has spent the evening there with his friends rather than going to the castle?
5. Briefly describe how Kekesfalva began his rise from poverty to wealth.
6. Describe how Kekesfalva got off on the wrong foot with Dietzenhof when they first met.
7. What is the difference between how Hofmiller initially feels about Ilona and how he feels about Edith?
8. Describe the circumstances under which Kekesfalva ended up marrying Dietzenhof.
9. In the early weeks of his relationship with the Kekesfalva family, how does Hofmiller's friendship with them affect his relationship with his fellow soldiers?
10. After having a chance to speak with each other privately, how do Hofmiller and Dr. Condor change their initial impressions of each other?
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)