|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Edith happy, rather than upset, when a new maid reacts in horror to the fact that she is disabled?
(a) She finds the maid's reaction funny.
(b) She thinks the maid will wait on her more if she feels sorry for her.
(c) Her father wants her to hide her disability, but Edith wants others to know about it.
(d) It is an honest, human reaction, as opposed to the coddling she usually receives from others.
2. How does Edith react when she receives Hofmiller's flowers?
(a) She returns the flowers with an angry note.
(b) She phones him to say thanks.
(c) She asks her father to invite him for dinner.
(d) She invites him to tea.
3. Why does Hofmiller hesitate when Kekesfalva insists that his driver take Hofmiller home on a rainy night?
(a) He is concerned about how arriving in a luxury car will appear to his fellow soldiers.
(b) He doesn't want Kekesfalva to know that he is planning to meet some friends rather than go home that night.
(c) He thinks Kekesfalva is being too generous.
(d) He enjoys walking in the rain.
4. How does Edith find out that Hofmiller had been playing cards rather than inspecting a horse when he failed to show up at the castle?
(a) Hofmiller admits it to her.
(b) She asks his commanding officer and he tells her the truth.
(c) She sends her chauffeur to find out where he is.
(d) Her father calls his barracks and someone tells him where Hofmiller is.
5. What is Kekesfalva's reaction when Hofmiller mentions the new treatment that might help Edith?
(a) He calls Dr. Condor immediately to get more information.
(b) He begins to brighten up at the possibility of hope for Edith.
(c) He begins peppering Hofmiller with questions.
(d) He dismisses the information because it doesn't sound promising.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the introduction, Zweig says his depiction of Kekesfalva's early life and the discrimination he felt is based on what?
2. How does Kekesfalva plan to repay Hofmiller for talking to Dr. Condor for him?
3. After Kekesfalva speaks privately to Hofmiller about talking to Dr. Condor, what is Edith's mood when the two men return to the house?
4. How does Dr. Condor behave during dinner with Hofmiller and Kekesfalva?
5. When telling him about the potential treatment for Edith, what does Hofmiller finally end up promising Kekesfalva?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Hofmiller finds himself enjoying his new sense of power and the comfort of being with with the Kekesfalva family, what keeps him from enjoying those feelings completely?
2. Why did Kekesfalva not simply flee with the money he received from Dietzenhof after he bought the property from her?
3. Briefly describe how Kekesfalva began his rise from poverty to wealth.
4. Describe the circumstances under which Kekesfalva ended up marrying Dietzenhof.
5. Why is Hofmiller so delighted when he sees Ilona outside the cafe after he has spent the evening there with his friends rather than going to the castle?
6. In the early weeks of his relationship with the Kekesfalva family, how does Hofmiller's friendship with them affect his relationship with his fellow soldiers?
7. Why does Hofmiller attach so much importance to Kekesfalva's request that he speak to Dr. Condor?
8. Describe how Kekesfalva got off on the wrong foot with Dietzenhof when they first met.
9. After having a chance to speak with each other privately, how do Hofmiller and Dr. Condor change their initial impressions of each other?
10. Why do you think Edith flies into a rage when Josef, the butler, comes to take her for her exercises?
This section contains 1,553 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)