|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller they must do about Hofmiller's lie to the Kekesfalvas?
(a) Make up a bigger lie to cover up for the first one.
(b) Get Edith to a doctor to try the new treatment.
(c) Find another treatment that might help Edith.
(d) Tell the family the truth about the new treatment.
2. How does Edith react to what the gypsy tells her?
(a) She erupts in an angry tirade.
(b) She listens quietly and walks away.
(c) She weeps with joy.
(d) She runs from the room in tears.
3. When Hofmiller tells Dr. Condor about Edith's kiss and her letter, why is Condor angry with himself?
(a) He wishes he had not let Hofmiller in when he came to the door.
(b) He thinks he should have realized Edith was in love with Hofmiller.
(c) He is afraid Kekesfalva will blame him.
(d) He had hoped to win Edith for himself and fears it's too late.
4. What surprise gift does Edith give to Hofmiller?
(a) A house.
(b) A rare book.
(c) An engagement ring.
(d) A beautiful horse.
5. What evidence of her feelings has Edith given everyone in the house?
(a) She has begun to plan their wedding.
(b) She has asked her father to approach him about marriage.
(c) She wakes them every night to ask if they think Hofmiller is fond of her.
(d) She has shown them secret notes she has written to Hofmiller.
6. When Hofmiller realizes that Edith is in love with him, who does he blame?
(b) Dr. Condor.
(d) Her father.
7. How does Hofmiller feel when he wakes up the morning after telling Kekesfalva about the potential new cure?
(a) He is angry at Dr. Condor.
(b) He is upset that Kekesfalva has not called.
(c) He is happy to have brought peace to his friend.
(d) He is angry at himself for lying.
8. How do Hofmiller and the Kekesfalvas handle the situation when their return home is delayed?
(a) They find a different route home.
(b) They decide to stay over in a hotel.
(c) They complain bitterly about the delay.
(d) They take part in the festivities.
9. After Edith is taken away, what does the butler ask Hofmiller to do?
(a) Leave and never come back.
(b) Meet Kekesfalva in his study.
(c) Take a cup of tea to Edith's room.
(d) Stay and wait for Ilona.
10. After leaving the military, what did Balinkay do?
(a) Move to the United States.
(b) Write a novel.
(c) Marry a wealthy widow.
(d) Open a bakery.
11. How does Dr. Condor know Hofmiller told Kekesfalva about the new treatment?
(a) Kekesfalva has mentioned it in both a telegram and a letter, and Condor had not told anyone else.
(b) Edith has phoned Dr. Condor to ask about the treatment.
(c) Ilona told him that Hofmiller discussed the treatment with Kekesfalva.
(d) Hofmiller left him a note telling him of his conversation with Kekesfalva.
12. Which of the following does Hofmiller think is worse?
(a) Being in love with someone who doesn't love you.
(b) Being loved by someone you're not allowed to see.
(c) Being loved by someone you don't love in return.
(d) Being in love with someone who loves someone else.
13. What does Hofmiller learn about the family's upcoming plans?
(a) They are leaving in 10 days to pursue the new treatment.
(b) They are planning a dinner in his honor.
(c) They are going to get a new doctor for Edith and fire Dr. Condor.
(d) They are planning a party for Edith's birthday.
14. How does Hofmiller respond when Edith says her father can pay for his trip?
(a) He becomes angry and says he refuses to be kept.
(b) He is excited because he wants very much to go.
(c) He is grateful and thanks her profusely.
(d) He is skeptical and says she needs to talk to her father about it first.
15. Why does Hofmiller initially believe he'll never have to marry Edith?
(a) He thinks Kekesfalva is angry with him and won't allow Edith to marry him.
(b) He thinks she'll turn him down if he proposes.
(c) He plans to transfer to another regiment without telling the family.
(d) He thinks she'll never recover physically and he'll be released from his promise.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he arrives at the castle the morning after telling Kekesfalva about the new treatment, what does Hofmiller learn Kekesfalva did during the night that upsets him?
2. Dr. Condor says he realizes that Hofmiller lied about the treatment out of what emotion?
3. What is the mood at the castle when Hofmiller arrives the morning after telling Kekesfalva about the new cure ?
4. What kind of deal does Kekesfalva offer Hofmiller?
5. The book he is reading prompts Hofmiller to wonder if he is strong enough to do what?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)