|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Edith treated by the villagers during their stop there?
(a) They ignore her and only pay attention to her father.
(b) They ask her for money.
(c) They make fun of her disability.
(d) She is treated like royalty.
2. Why is the family delayed when they are returning home from their day trip?
(a) The road is blocked because of a wedding.
(b) They get lost.
(c) Their transportation breaks down.
(d) Hofmiller is late returning from his ride.
3. At the beginning of the section beginning on page 223, Ferencz comes to take Hofmiller to what event?
(a) The theater.
(b) Dinner at Kekesfalva's home.
(c) A dinner with his regiment.
(d) A birthday party.
4. Realizing the predicament his lies have caused, what does Hofmiller decide to do?
(a) Marry Edith despite the fact that he doesn't love her.
(b) Kill himself.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Confess everything to Edith and beg for her forgiveness.
5. Later on the night following their trip, from whom does Hofmiller receive a note?
(a) His father.
6. What kind of deal does Kekesfalva offer Hofmiller?
(a) He offers him the family's horse farm if he will marry Edith.
(b) He offers to get him promoted to General if he will never see Edith again.
(c) He offers him all his wealth if he will leave and never see Edith again.
(d) He offers him all his wealth if he will marry Edith.
7. What does Hofmiller learn about the extent of Edith's despair at the idea that she might never be well?
(a) She once tried to kill Dr. Condor in a fit of rage.
(b) She blames her father for her condition.
(c) She has lost her faith in God.
(d) She has attempted suicide in the past.
8. When Hofmiller visits the Kekesfalva family after their trip, what does he bring with him?
(a) A letter from Dr. Condor.
(b) A book.
(c) Tickets for their trip.
9. Dr. Condor says he realizes that Hofmiller lied about the treatment out of what emotion?
10. During their day trip, why do Hofmiller and the family stop on the way to their destination?
(a) To refuel their car.
(b) To attend mass.
(c) They are forced to stop because of road work.
(d) To eat dinner.
11. After Edith's fall, where does Hofmiller go first?
(a) To Dr. Condor's house.
(b) To his barracks.
(c) To a tavern.
(d) To the train station.
12. What is Dr. Condor's wife's name?
13. What does Dr. Condor think will happen if Hofmiller simply flees to escape his situation with Edith?
(a) Kekesfalva will track Hofmiller down and kill him.
(b) Edith will transfer her affections to him.
(c) Hofmiller will be arrested for abandoning his regiment.
(d) Edith will kill herself.
14. What surprise gift does Edith give to Hofmiller?
(a) A house.
(b) A beautiful horse.
(c) A rare book.
(d) An engagement ring.
15. Why does Ilona tell Hofmiller he needs to be nice to Edith?
(a) She always hates herself after she throws a tantrum.
(b) They have to appease her to keep her from having more outbursts.
(c) He will miss her while she's away at the sanitarium.
(d) She doesn't have long to live.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hofmiller want to do about his lie regarding the new treatment?
2. What is awaiting Hofmiller when he returns to his barracks after his trip with the Kekesfalvas?
3. When Edith wants to show Hofmiller what she is capable of, what does she attempt to climb over?
4. Seeing Edith's happiness, to whom does Hofmiller compare himself?
5. Once he is aware of her love for him, what is Edith afraid Hofmiller will do?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)