|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the one person Dr. Condor is certain he has saved?
(a) His wife.
2. When returning from his evening with Ferencz and finding another letter from Edith, what is Hofmiller afraid of?
(a) That she has told her father that Hofmiller doesn't return her love.
(b) That she has run away.
(c) That she is trying to trap him.
(d) That she has found someone else.
3. Why does Ilona tell Hofmiller he needs to be nice to Edith?
(a) She always hates herself after she throws a tantrum.
(b) He will miss her while she's away at the sanitarium.
(c) She doesn't have long to live.
(d) They have to appease her to keep her from having more outbursts.
4. Why is the family delayed when they are returning home from their day trip?
(a) They get lost.
(b) Hofmiller is late returning from his ride.
(c) The road is blocked because of a wedding.
(d) Their transportation breaks down.
5. What form of transportation do Hofmiller and the Kekesfalvas take on their day trip?
(a) A limo.
(b) A horse drawn carriage.
(c) A train.
(d) A private jet.
6. When he arrives at the castle the morning after telling Kekesfalva about the new treatment, what does Hofmiller learn Kekesfalva did during the night that upsets him?
(a) He made arrangements for Hofmiller to be transferred to another unit.
(b) He decided Hofmiller was no longer welcome at his home.
(c) He fired his entire staff.
(d) He woke Edith to tell her about the miracle cure Hofmiller had discussed with Dr. Condor.
7. Dr. Condor says he realizes that Hofmiller lied about the treatment out of what emotion?
8. After Edith is taken away following her fall, what does Hofmiller do?
(a) He flees from the house.
(b) He formally asks Kekesfalva for her hand in marriage.
(c) He goes to her to apologize.
(d) He asks Ilona for her advice.
9. What book does Hofmiller read?
(a) Grimm's Fairy Tales.
(b) The Arabian Nights.
(c) The Bible.
(d) A Tale of Two Cities.
10. How does Ilona think Hofmiller feels about Edith?
(a) She thinks he returns her love.
(b) She thinks he doesn't respect her.
(c) She thinks he is only after her money.
(d) She thinks he pities her.
11. What does Hofmiller ask Dr. Condor to tell Edith?
(a) That he will marry her even if she does not recover.
(b) That he has decided to leave the country.
(c) That he is in love with someone else.
(d) That he does not want to marry her under any circumstances.
12. What kind of deal does Kekesfalva offer Hofmiller?
(a) He offers him all his wealth if he will marry Edith.
(b) He offers him all his wealth if he will leave and never see Edith again.
(c) He offers him the family's horse farm if he will marry Edith.
(d) He offers to get him promoted to General if he will never see Edith again.
13. Why was Balinkay at the Excelsior Hotel in Cairo when he met his wife?
(a) He was a guest there.
(b) He owned the hotel.
(c) He was waiting tables there.
(d) He was having a drink at the bar with some friends.
14. What is awaiting Hofmiller when he returns to his barracks after his trip with the Kekesfalvas?
(a) A visit from his father.
(b) A package from Kekesfalva.
(c) A telegram from Dr. Condor.
(d) An invitation to a wedding.
15. What evidence of her feelings has Edith given everyone in the house?
(a) She has begun to plan their wedding.
(b) She has asked her father to approach him about marriage.
(c) She has shown them secret notes she has written to Hofmiller.
(d) She wakes them every night to ask if they think Hofmiller is fond of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Condor know Hofmiller told Kekesfalva about the new treatment?
2. How do Hofmiller and the Kekesfalvas handle the situation when their return home is delayed?
3. In her second letter to him, what does Edith tell Hofmiller to do?
4. What happens to Kekesfalva after Edith's death?
5. The book he is reading prompts Hofmiller to wonder if he is strong enough to do what?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)