|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 273 through 353..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hofmiller most afraid of when he realizes his blunder in asking Edith to dance?
(a) He is afraid people will laugh at his dancing.
(b) He is afraid he won't be invited to future parties.
(c) He is afraid of what others will think of him when they realize what happened.
(d) He is afraid he will be demoted by his commanding officer.
2. Why does Ilona say she has encouraged Edith's feelings for Hofmiller?
(a) She thought he'd grow to love her eventually.
(b) She thought it would be amusing to see what happened.
(c) She thought he was secretly in love with her also.
(d) She did not want to crush Edith's hopes.
3. How does Edith react to what the gypsy tells her?
(a) She erupts in an angry tirade.
(b) She runs from the room in tears.
(c) She listens quietly and walks away.
(d) She weeps with joy.
4. How does Edith react when Hofmiller asks her to dance?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She gives him a shy smile and turns away.
(c) She is delighted by the attention being paid to her.
(d) She is horrified and begins to sob.
5. What does Hofmiller do when he arrives at the castle and finds Edith sleeping on the terrace?
(a) He goes quietly into the house so he won't wake her.
(b) He wakes her to explain his absence the previous night.
(c) He sits down to read a book until she wakes up.
(d) He takes the opportunity to look at her more carefully and feels an overwhelming rush of pity for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When returning from his evening with Ferencz and finding another letter from Edith, what is Hofmiller afraid of?
2. What surprises Hofmiller about Dr. Condor's home?
3. Why does Hofmiller continue exaggerating about the new treatment's promise?
4. Why is Dr. Condor's wife upset with his patients?
5. How does Edith find out that Hofmiller had been playing cards rather than inspecting a horse when he failed to show up at the castle?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)