|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 273 through 353..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While riding a train one night, Kekesfalva overheard a conversation about Princess Orosvar. What had her lifestyle been like during the last years of her life?
(a) She was known for giving away huge amounts of her fortune to deserving charities.
(b) She had been cantankerous and self-absorbed, living in luxury and ignoring the overtures of her relatives.
(c) She had been living in poverty until she married a wealthy man.
(d) She lived in a large home in France, surrounded by her husband and children.
2. What does his decision to trot instead of gallop make Hofmiller realize about himself?
(a) He has lost the respect of his men.
(b) He loves Edith and wants to marry her.
(c) Edith's condition makes it impossible for him to respect her.
(d) He is undergoing a profound change as a result of his pity for Edith.
3. How does Edith react when she receives Hofmiller's flowers?
(a) She phones him to say thanks.
(b) She asks her father to invite him for dinner.
(c) She invites him to tea.
(d) She returns the flowers with an angry note.
4. When Ilona asks Hofmiller why he did not come to the castle, what lie does he tell her?
(a) He admits that he simply did not want to come.
(b) He says he fell asleep and didn't wake up until it was too late.
(c) He says his parents had arrived unexpectedly for a visit.
(d) He says he had to inspect a horse his Colonel wanted to buy.
5. Why does Hofmiller continue exaggerating about the new treatment's promise?
(a) He hopes that he'll benefit financially if he finds a cure for Edith.
(b) He has been diagnosed as a compulsive liar.
(c) Dr. Condor asked him to make the treatment sound more promising than it actually is.
(d) He finds the fact that Kekesfalva is hanging on his every word intoxicating.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Hofmiller find Edith most attractive?
2. What does Hofmiller ask Dr. Condor to tell Edith?
3. What does Hofmiller do after Ilona explains the reason Edith became so upset at the dinner party?
4. How does Hofmiller fill about Edith and Ilona after spending a few evenings in their company?
5. Why does Hofmiller eventually decide to open the letter from Edith?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)