|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 113 through 151..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During dinner with Hofmiller and Kekesfalva, what does Dr. Condor initially say about Edith's current condition?
(a) He says it's clear that she hasn't been doing her exercises as regularly as she should.
(b) He says her leg strength has deteriorated considerably since his last visit.
(c) He says she's improved remarkably since his last visit.
(d) He says her exercises are going well, but that her mental state seems different.
2. How does Hofmiller perceive Edith after their first two meetings?
(a) He sees her as an invalid who needs to be comforted and protected.
(b) He finds her dull and boring.
(c) He thinks she's the most beautiful woman he's ever seen.
(d) He is immediately attracted to her and wants to court her.
3. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller was his initial opinion about why Hofmiller has become friends with Kekesfalva and his family?
(a) He thought Hofmiller was looking for a replacement for his absent family.
(b) He thought Hofmiller was after Kekesfalva's money.
(c) He thought Hofmiller wanted to court and marry Ilona.
(d) He thought Hofmiller was under the impression that Kekesfalva could help him advance in his career.
4. How does the main character, Hofmiller, say his story began?
(a) It began with a storm that caused a loss of power.
(b) It began with an innocent blunder on his part.
(c) It began when he returned from a trip to South America.
(d) It began when he lost track of his car in an unfamiliar neighborhood.
5. Why is Hofmiller uncomfortable when he first arrives at the dinner party?
(a) He is dressed inappropriately.
(b) He arrives late and doesn't know any of the other guests.
(c) He doesn't like the food that is being served.
(d) He arrives an hour early.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kekesfalva asks Hofmiller about his conversation with Dr. Condor regarding Edith's condition, what does Hofmiller say at first?
2. Why did Dietzenhof follow Kekesfalva's advice about selling her property without question?
3. When telling him about the potential treatment for Edith, what does Hofmiller finally end up promising Kekesfalva?
4. How does Hofmiller feel after learning about Kekesfalva's past?
5. The night after his friends tease him about his relationship with Kekesfalva and his family, Hofmiller does not go to the castle. How does he feel about his decision to stay away?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)