|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 113 through 151..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Dr. Condor actively pursuing a cure for Edith?
(a) Yes, he has just received funding for a new research project he is conducting in his own lab.
(b) Yes, he is trying to get in touch with a doctor who has a promising new treatment for paralysis.
(c) Yes, he is planning a trip to the United States to pursue some new possibilities.
(d) No, he has no hope of a cure, but has not told the family how he feels.
2. What did Dietzenhof eventually tell Kekesfalva she wanted to do with her estate?
(a) She said she planned to invite a number of relatives to move in with her.
(b) She said she planned to continue living in the house alone.
(c) She said she wanted to turn the property into a hotel.
(d) She said she wanted to sell the property.
3. How much was Dietzenhof's estate actually worth?
(a) It was worth about six times the amount Kekesfalva quoted to her.
(b) It was worth about half the amount Kekesfalva quoted to her.
(c) It was worth about three times the amount Kekesfalva quoted to her.
(d) It was considered priceless.
4. Why does Hofmiller hesitate when Kekesfalva insists that his driver take Hofmiller home on a rainy night?
(a) He enjoys walking in the rain.
(b) He thinks Kekesfalva is being too generous.
(c) He doesn't want Kekesfalva to know that he is planning to meet some friends rather than go home that night.
(d) He is concerned about how arriving in a luxury car will appear to his fellow soldiers.
5. According to the book's introduction by Joan Acocella, why was the author, Stefan Zweig, so interested in the inner workings of the human mind?
(a) His father was a psychiatrist.
(b) He was a friend of Sigmund Freud.
(c) He read a great deal about psychology.
(d) He was trained as a psychiatrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Condor perceive that Edith's attitude seems to have changed?
2. How does Edith react when Hofmiller asks her to dance?
3. What does Hofmiller say is the most startling thing that happens to him the night of his conversation with Dr. Condor?
4. How does Hofmiller perceive Edith after their first two meetings?
5. Why did Princess Orosvar cut her relatives out of her will?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)