|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 34 through 76..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edith react when she receives Hofmiller's flowers?
(a) She asks her father to invite him for dinner.
(b) She invites him to tea.
(c) She phones him to say thanks.
(d) She returns the flowers with an angry note.
2. How does Edith find out that Hofmiller had been playing cards rather than inspecting a horse when he failed to show up at the castle?
(a) Hofmiller admits it to her.
(b) She asks his commanding officer and he tells her the truth.
(c) Her father calls his barracks and someone tells him where Hofmiller is.
(d) She sends her chauffeur to find out where he is.
3. The night after his friends tease him about his relationship with Kekesfalva and his family, Hofmiller does not go to the castle. How does he feel about his decision to stay away?
(a) He worries constantly and realizes that he can't just turn his emotions off and on.
(b) He enjoys having a night away from the family and decides to visit them less often in the future.
(c) After a couple of hours, he changes his mind and goes to visit the family.
(d) He thoroughly enjoys playing cards with his friends and realizes it was the right decision not to go.
4. How does Hofmiller react when he sees Ilona in the street after taking a night away from the family to play cards with his friends?
(a) He is excited about the opportunity to introduce her to his friends.
(b) He is thrilled to see her on his own turf and asks her to go for a walk or to the patisserie.
(c) He is upset that she has apparently left Edith alone.
(d) He seems embarrassed and tries to avoid her.
5. How does the main character, Hofmiller, say his story began?
(a) It began with an innocent blunder on his part.
(b) It began with a storm that caused a loss of power.
(c) It began when he returned from a trip to South America.
(d) It began when he lost track of his car in an unfamiliar neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kekesfalva ask Hofmiller to be present when Dr. Condor comes to the castle and speak to him about Edith's condition?
2. At what point is Hofmiller comfortable giving his men the orders to resume galloping?
3. How does Ilona initially react to seeing Hofmiller in the street after he does not appear for dinner as has become his custom?
4. After Kekesfalva speaks privately to Hofmiller about talking to Dr. Condor, what is Edith's mood when the two men return to the house?
5. Why does Kekesfalva like Dr. Condor so much?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)