|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 34 through 76..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hofmiller go to Kekesfalva's home three days before the date of his dinner invitation?
(a) He wants to be certain he knows how to get there.
(b) He gets the date wrong.
(c) It is considered polite and proper to go early and express his gratitude for the invitation.
(d) He hopes to see Kekesfalva's niece again.
2. How does Kekesfalva plan to repay Hofmiller for talking to Dr. Condor for him?
(a) He plans to pay Hofmiller the equivalent of a week's salary.
(b) He offers Hofmiller his own suite of rooms at the castle.
(c) He says he'll introduce Hofmiller to high-ranking officials.
(d) He says he'll allow Hofmiller to court Edith.
3. In the introduction, Zweig says his depiction of Kekesfalva's early life and the discrimination he felt is based on what?
(a) It is based on his parents' experience.
(b) It is based on the experiences of characters in his favorite novels.
(c) It is based on the experience of Eastern Jews.
(d) It is based on his own experience.
4. How does Hofmiller fill about Edith and Ilona after spending a few evenings in their company?
(a) He admires Kekesfalva, but doesn't like either of the women.
(b) He cares for them as if they are his sisters.
(c) He is in love with Ilona.
(d) He is in love with Edith.
5. Why does Hofmiller say he joined the military?
(a) His career was forced on him.
(b) He was drafted.
(c) He hoped to become a general.
(d) It was his lifelong ambition.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Edith happy, rather than upset, when a new maid reacts in horror to the fact that she is disabled?
2. What happens at the second dinner that makes Hofmiller feel especially happy and powerful?
3. According to the introduction, in what way did Zweig's life mirror that of his main character, Hofmiller?
4. The night after his friends tease him about his relationship with Kekesfalva and his family, Hofmiller does not go to the castle. How does he feel about his decision to stay away?
5. What does Hofmiller do after Ilona explains the reason Edith became so upset at the dinner party?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)