|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 34 through 76..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The night after his friends tease him about his relationship with Kekesfalva and his family, Hofmiller does not go to the castle. How does he feel about his decision to stay away?
(a) He thoroughly enjoys playing cards with his friends and realizes it was the right decision not to go.
(b) He enjoys having a night away from the family and decides to visit them less often in the future.
(c) After a couple of hours, he changes his mind and goes to visit the family.
(d) He worries constantly and realizes that he can't just turn his emotions off and on.
2. How does Edith react when Hofmiller asks her to dance?
(a) She gives him a shy smile and turns away.
(b) She is delighted by the attention being paid to her.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She is horrified and begins to sob.
3. How does the main character, Hofmiller, say his story began?
(a) It began when he lost track of his car in an unfamiliar neighborhood.
(b) It began with an innocent blunder on his part.
(c) It began with a storm that caused a loss of power.
(d) It began when he returned from a trip to South America.
4. How does Ilona initially react to seeing Hofmiller in the street after he does not appear for dinner as has become his custom?
(a) She ignores him and begins to flirt with his friends.
(b) She is delighted to see him and greets him warmly and affectionately.
(c) She says she's in a hurry and tries to rush away from him.
(d) She asks him to take her out for a drink.
5. Why does Hofmiller try to keep his two worlds - his life in the military and his relationship with the Kekesfalva family - separate from each other?
(a) He thinks Kekesfalva will think less of him if he realizes that he is a low-ranking officer in the military.
(b) He doesn't want his friends to build a relationship with the family and become his rival for their affections.
(c) Kekesfalva asks him to keep the relationship a secret.
(d) He thinks they don't fit together.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hofmiller is training with his men the morning following his tea with Edith, why does he order them to stop galloping and trot their horses?
2. After angrily confronting Hofmiller about lying to her, what does Edith tell him about continuing to visit the family?
3. How does Edith react when Josef, the butler, comes to take her for her exercises?
4. What does his decision to trot instead of gallop make Hofmiller realize about himself?
5. How does Hofmiller fill about Edith and Ilona after spending a few evenings in their company?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)