|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Productive staff is rewarded and non-productive staff is ___________.
2. Phipps sees possible gains in other operations and encourages Carnegie to hire who?
3. Only how many of the original nine partners remain?
4. Frick's first acquisition is _____________, which is the most modern steel mill and keeps the Carnegie Company at the forefront.
5. Carnegie hires Captain Bill Jones to raid whose staff where they worked together before its strike to run ET?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the economic collapse. How are Carnegie and others affected by it?
2. What is a second dimension necessary to effect this integration?
3. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
4. Describe the firm and the new mill.
5. How does Carnegie benefit from cutting costs?
6. Describe Carnegie's replacement of equipment.
7. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
8. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
9. Describe the deficiency that Carnegie corrected by integrating Keystone Bridge and Union Iron?
10. Describe Captain Bill Jones' management of labor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Andrew becomes known as Pittsburgh's best telegraph operator.
Part 1) How does he become known as this? What does this reveal about his personality? How are these character traits continually revealed and reinforced throughout this book?
Part 2) How does Andrew benefit from this title? How does his work ethic and natural business sense impact the decisions he makes throughout his life?
Part 3) What can you learn from Andrew? How can you benefit from Andrew's experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Carnegie works for the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Part 1) Describe his time with this railroad company. How is this time significant in his career as a businessman?
Part 2) What are four important things he learns from working for the Pennsylvania Railroad? How are these things useful later in his life?
Part 3) Andrew receives several promotions. Why? How is this success foreshadowed earlier in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Carnegie and George Pullman make "The Pullman Palace Car Company" a joint venture.
Part 1) How does this joint venture come about? Is this a good decision for both men? Why or why not? What does this joint venture reveal about both Carnegie and Pullman?
Part 2) How does this venture affect the triumvirate? How does it affect other stockholders? How does it lead to the end of stock speculation? How does this end of speculation lead Carnegie in a new direction?
Part 3) Think of two companies you admire or whose products you enjoy. What would it be like if they joined forces? How would this joint venture affect them? How would it affect customers like yourself?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)