|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bank failures destroy personal savings, social safety nets are nonexistent and workers retreat to the family farm or where?
2. Carnegie relies on what system implemented by Thomson and Scott at the railroad to transfer and adapt it to industry?
3. Carnegie hires the expert ____________ to put the Bessemer program in place and function as its works superintendent.
4. What firms are formed and the Gilded Age develops in New York?
5. American capitalism and democracy conflict in the fear that economic justice requires what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carnegie do between 1872 and 1889?
2. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
3. What does Frick's chairmanship mark?
4. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
5. What causes the 1893 depression? What does Carnegie do at this time?
6. Describe the firm and the new mill.
7. How does Carnegie benefit from cutting costs?
8. Describe American steel companies between 1870 and 1900.
9. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
10. Describe the seven years of peace and prosperity in the North.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Andrew Carnegie emigrated from Scotland.
Part 1) When and why did he emigrate from Scotland? Describe his life upon arriving in the U.S. How did it compare to the lives of other immigrants?
Part 2) How did his family adjust to life in America? How did this affect Andrew? When did he get the opportunity for advancement? How was this a case of being in the right place at the right time?
Part 3) What might it be like to be an immigrant today? Might it be easier or harder to adjust to American life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
J.P. Morgan purchases the Carnegie company.
Part 1) Describe the purchasing of the Carnegie Company by J.P. Morgan. What challenges and disputes lead up to this purchase? What do these problems reveal about Carnegie, Frick, and others?
Part 2) Does Carnegie make the right decision by selling the company to J.P. Morgan? Why or why not? The new company, U.S. Steel, prints $300 million worth of bonds for Carnegie. Why does he never see these? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) J.P. Morgan congratulates Carnegie on being "the riches man in the world!" What do you think Carnegie thought of this? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Carnegie invests in the Keystone Bridge Company.
Part 1) What is the Keystone Bridge Company? How is this investment significant? What investments and decisions lead up to this investment?
Part 2) Why might a company such as the Keystone Bridge Company be so important at this time? What connection does this company have with railroads and the telegraph?
Part 3) If Carnegie were alive today, in what types of companies might he invest? Why? If you were to invest in a company, which one would it be? Why?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)