|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie's methods in steel concentrate what?
2. From 1872 through ________, Carnegie builds an integrated industrial business to become the best-known manufacturer in the world, publishes three books, travels around the world, and becomes a philanthropist with the express intent to give away his fortune.
3. When the state legislature creates a limited partnership in ____________, Carnegie, McCandless immediately restructures into the Edgar Thomson Steel Company, Limited.
4. The partners want Frick to exercise power without Carnegie. Why?
5. Holley's pre-production estimates and Shinn's voucher system provides Carnegie's Edgar Thomson Works with accurate profitability in its ________ month of operation.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carnegie's partners at this time.
2. What does Frick's chairmanship mark?
3. What venture is formed between Tom Miller and Carnegie?
4. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
5. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
6. Who is Homestead? How does Carnegie deal with Homestead?
7. Describe the economic collapse. How are Carnegie and others affected by it?
8. What causes the 1893 depression? What does Carnegie do at this time?
9. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
10. Describe the seven years of peace and prosperity in the North.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carnegie and George Pullman make "The Pullman Palace Car Company" a joint venture.
Part 1) How does this joint venture come about? Is this a good decision for both men? Why or why not? What does this joint venture reveal about both Carnegie and Pullman?
Part 2) How does this venture affect the triumvirate? How does it affect other stockholders? How does it lead to the end of stock speculation? How does this end of speculation lead Carnegie in a new direction?
Part 3) Think of two companies you admire or whose products you enjoy. What would it be like if they joined forces? How would this joint venture affect them? How would it affect customers like yourself?
Essay Topic 2
The Panic of 1873 is significant.
Part 1) Describe the Panic of 1873. How does it begin? How are businesses and ordinary citizens affected by it? How does the country pull out of this panic? How does this panic compare to the 1929 Crash and the Great Depression that followed?
Part 2) Could this panic have been avoided? If so, how? If not, why not? Did the country learn from this panic? Why or why not?
Part 3) Could a panic such as this occur again? Why or why not? Have we as a country learned anything from this panic, the Crash of 1929, and other economic disasters? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
A typical pattern in the 19th century is that a community builds up around a few pioneers who leave their homeland and then encourage friends and relatives to join them.
Part 1) How was this the case for the Carnegies? How did they benefit from this? How might this have affected communities in the U.S.?
Part 2) How would this affect one's ability to acclimate to the American culture? What might have been considered American culture at this time? Explain.
Part 3) How are these communities still seen today? Why do these ethnic communities still exist?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)