|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the age of ___________ Carnegie finds a wife for his home, a business successor and considers retirement.
2. Carnegie's pace of ___________ replacement needs continuous reinvestment of profits to the exclusion of significant dividend payments.
3. The mill site is strategically situated _______________ where the Pennsylvania, Baltimore and Ohio railroad and river transportation system is readily available, nearby the coal fields.
4. Carnegie leases the iron ore properties from this man. Why?
5. Americans in the North have how many years of peace and prosperity as they begin to exploit American markets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carnegie do between 1872 and 1889?
2. How does Carnegie rely on the McCallum system?
3. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
4. What is a second dimension necessary to effect this integration?
5. What does Phipps suggest to Carnegie? How does Carnegie benefit from this?
6. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
7. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
8. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
9. What does the entrepreneurial Carnegie begin in 1872? Describe his work at this time.
10. Describe Captain Bill Jones' management of labor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carnegie invests in the Keystone Bridge Company.
Part 1) What is the Keystone Bridge Company? How is this investment significant? What investments and decisions lead up to this investment?
Part 2) Why might a company such as the Keystone Bridge Company be so important at this time? What connection does this company have with railroads and the telegraph?
Part 3) If Carnegie were alive today, in what types of companies might he invest? Why? If you were to invest in a company, which one would it be? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Carnegie forms an informal investing triumvirate.
Part 1) Describe this triumvirate. Why does he form this group? How effective are they? How do they benefit Carnegie? How doe they benefit from him?
Part 2) Throughout the book, what role does this triumvirate play? How does it aid Andrew in growing his wealth? How is it, at times, detrimental?
Part 3) If you were to form a triumvirate, who would it include? Why? What would be the purpose of the triumvirate?
Essay Topic 3
Andrew becomes known as Pittsburgh's best telegraph operator.
Part 1) How does he become known as this? What does this reveal about his personality? How are these character traits continually revealed and reinforced throughout this book?
Part 2) How does Andrew benefit from this title? How does his work ethic and natural business sense impact the decisions he makes throughout his life?
Part 3) What can you learn from Andrew? How can you benefit from Andrew's experiences?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)