|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The 1878 Thomas process of lime-lining the heating vessel to eliminate phosphorous is acquired by Carnegie and sold to who two years later?
2. When prosperity returns, the Carnegie business thrives. Does the damage to his personal reputation from the strike ever heal?
3. A second dimension necessary to effect this integration is the implementation of what system?
4. Carnegie relies on what system implemented by Thomson and Scott at the railroad to transfer and adapt it to industry?
5. Phipps takes Carnegie's cost-cutting seriously by having who analyze flue and puddle cinders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the economic collapse. How are Carnegie and others affected by it?
2. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
3. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
4. How does Carnegie rely on the McCallum system?
5. What does Frick's chairmanship mark?
6. How does Carnegie benefit from cutting costs?
7. Describe the firm and the new mill.
8. Describe Duqesne Steel.
9. What does Schwab do for the business?
10. Describe Captain Bill Jones' management of labor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carnegie leaves Pittsburgh for New York City.
Part 1) Why does he decide to make this move? How is this connected to his decisions surrounding his business? How does he benefit from this move and the people he meets upon arriving in New York?
Part 2) Do you believe Carnegie would have been as successful as he was if he had stayed in Pittsburgh? Why or why not? Why was New York City an important place to be at this time? Is New York City as important today? If so, why? If not, why not?
Part 3) In what are you interested? What is the best place to be for this interest? Would you consider moving to this place? Why or why not? How might your life change by making this move?
Essay Topic 2
Andrew Carnegie emigrated from Scotland.
Part 1) When and why did he emigrate from Scotland? Describe his life upon arriving in the U.S. How did it compare to the lives of other immigrants?
Part 2) How did his family adjust to life in America? How did this affect Andrew? When did he get the opportunity for advancement? How was this a case of being in the right place at the right time?
Part 3) What might it be like to be an immigrant today? Might it be easier or harder to adjust to American life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Carnegie's insistence on knowing the costs continues for his twenty-five years in the steel business.
Part 1) How and why does cost matter throughout Carnegie's career in the steel business, as well as previous business ventures? How might this compare to the importance of cost to other companies? Use the text to support your response.
Part 2) How has this focus on cost influenced other businesses? How does it continue to be important to businesses today? How does this focus on cost aid in the creation of big business?
Part 3) When you make important decisions, on what do you focus? What aspects of a decision are important to you? How does your decision-making process compare to Carnegie's?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)