|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie relies on what system implemented by Thomson and Scott at the railroad to transfer and adapt it to industry?
2. Phipps buys flue-cinder at fifty cents a ton and sells puddle-cinder at ________ per ton to improve Lucy furnace product and save money.
3. When the state legislature creates a limited partnership in ____________, Carnegie, McCandless immediately restructures into the Edgar Thomson Steel Company, Limited.
4. Frick's chairmanship of the Carnegie Company marks a difficult period in its history starting with what strike in 1892 and a four year depression from 1893.
5. William Coleman also shares Carnegie's interest and enthusiasm in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What venture is formed between Tom Miller and Carnegie?
2. Describe the seven years of peace and prosperity in the North.
3. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
4. Describe American steel companies between 1870 and 1900.
5. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
6. Describe Duqesne Steel.
7. What causes the 1893 depression? What does Carnegie do at this time?
8. How does Carnegie rely on the McCallum system?
9. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
10. Describe Captain Bill Jones' management of labor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Carnegie's apprenticeship ends at the Pennsylvania Railroad, he is ready to move on.
Part 1) Why does he decide it is time to move on? Is this a good decision? Why or why not? To where does he move on? Why?
Part 2) How does this move change his life? Do you believe he would have been successful if he had stayed at the Pennsylvania Railroad? Why or why not?
Part 3 ) Describe a time when you have realized it was time for a change. How did you know? How did you go about this change? What were the end results?
Essay Topic 2
Carnegie leaves Pittsburgh for New York City.
Part 1) Why does he decide to make this move? How is this connected to his decisions surrounding his business? How does he benefit from this move and the people he meets upon arriving in New York?
Part 2) Do you believe Carnegie would have been as successful as he was if he had stayed in Pittsburgh? Why or why not? Why was New York City an important place to be at this time? Is New York City as important today? If so, why? If not, why not?
Part 3) In what are you interested? What is the best place to be for this interest? Would you consider moving to this place? Why or why not? How might your life change by making this move?
Essay Topic 3
With the forming of an enterprise to manufacture Bessemer steel, Carnegie changes from capitalist to entrepreneur.
Part 1) Why does he decide to move into the steel business? How does this change him from a capitalist to an entrepreneur? Is this a good maneuver? If so, why? If not, why not?
Part 2) Carnegie follows a policy of putting all of his eggs in the same basket and watching that basket. Is this a good policy? Why or why not? How has becoming an entrepreneur changed Carnegie? In what ways has he stayed the same?
Part 3) Carnegie's partners include many wealthy executives and merchants. How important are these men in Carnegie's new ventures in steel? How have others been important in Carnegie's professional career? How important are others in your own life and advancements you have made?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)