|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie's methods in steel concentrate what?
2. Beginning in 1872, Carnegie focuses on the single project of his steel-rail rolling mill that is completed in _________.
3. The partners want Frick to exercise power without Carnegie. Why?
4. Americans in the North have how many years of peace and prosperity as they begin to exploit American markets?
5. The start of ET construction coincides with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carnegie benefit from cutting costs?
2. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
3. Describe American steel companies between 1870 and 1900.
4. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
5. Describe the firm and the new mill.
6. What venture is formed between Tom Miller and Carnegie?
7. Why does Andrew not help Tom Scott? What are the effects of this decision?
8. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
9. Who is Homestead? How does Carnegie deal with Homestead?
10. What does Phipps suggest to Carnegie? How does Carnegie benefit from this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Andrew becomes known as Pittsburgh's best telegraph operator.
Part 1) How does he become known as this? What does this reveal about his personality? How are these character traits continually revealed and reinforced throughout this book?
Part 2) How does Andrew benefit from this title? How does his work ethic and natural business sense impact the decisions he makes throughout his life?
Part 3) What can you learn from Andrew? How can you benefit from Andrew's experiences?
Essay Topic 2
J.P. Morgan purchases the Carnegie company.
Part 1) Describe the purchasing of the Carnegie Company by J.P. Morgan. What challenges and disputes lead up to this purchase? What do these problems reveal about Carnegie, Frick, and others?
Part 2) Does Carnegie make the right decision by selling the company to J.P. Morgan? Why or why not? The new company, U.S. Steel, prints $300 million worth of bonds for Carnegie. Why does he never see these? What does this reveal about him?
Part 3) J.P. Morgan congratulates Carnegie on being "the riches man in the world!" What do you think Carnegie thought of this? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Andrew escapes the coal and oil of textile mills.
Part 1) How does he escape? To where does he escape? How does he benefit from this? How do his experiences in these mills influence him?
Part 2) How important are his early careers to his life as a capitalist and then as entrepreneur? How does he use the knowledge he gains throughout his life in his career decisions? How does he benefit from doing this?
Part 3) How might your own work experiences influence you as an adult in the work force? What experiences have already occurred in your life that will be beneficial in the future?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)