|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Success is due to the first president, ________________, and the superintendent of the western division, Tom Scott, who brings Andrew Carnegie into the modern system of train control.
2. What characterizes America?
3. Margaret Carnegie's sister precedes her move to America and Annie Aitken provides them what?
4. In _________, the transcontinental Union Pacific seeks bids from sleeping car companies for its expansion.
5. How many people immigrate from the Old to the New World to embed the dream into an image of America far stronger than the success of a few like the Guggenheims and Vanderbilts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1865.
2. Describe Carnegie's rise in business by 1865.
3. By what is this dream not diminished?
4. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
5. What does Andrew do from 1867 through 1872?
6. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
7. What does Carnegie learn at the Pennsylvania Railroad?
8. Describe Carnegie's investment in Keystone Bridge Company.
9. Give an example of how the size and complexity of a railroad business requires creation of bureaucratic organization, structure, and policy to fit the needs.
10. How does Andrew escape the textile mills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carnegie invests in the Keystone Bridge Company.
Part 1) What is the Keystone Bridge Company? How is this investment significant? What investments and decisions lead up to this investment?
Part 2) Why might a company such as the Keystone Bridge Company be so important at this time? What connection does this company have with railroads and the telegraph?
Part 3) If Carnegie were alive today, in what types of companies might he invest? Why? If you were to invest in a company, which one would it be? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Carnegie leaves Pittsburgh for New York City.
Part 1) Why does he decide to make this move? How is this connected to his decisions surrounding his business? How does he benefit from this move and the people he meets upon arriving in New York?
Part 2) Do you believe Carnegie would have been as successful as he was if he had stayed in Pittsburgh? Why or why not? Why was New York City an important place to be at this time? Is New York City as important today? If so, why? If not, why not?
Part 3) In what are you interested? What is the best place to be for this interest? Would you consider moving to this place? Why or why not? How might your life change by making this move?
Essay Topic 3
Andrew escapes the coal and oil of textile mills.
Part 1) How does he escape? To where does he escape? How does he benefit from this? How do his experiences in these mills influence him?
Part 2) How important are his early careers to his life as a capitalist and then as entrepreneur? How does he use the knowledge he gains throughout his life in his career decisions? How does he benefit from doing this?
Part 3) How might your own work experiences influence you as an adult in the work force? What experiences have already occurred in your life that will be beneficial in the future?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)