Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pullman gives Carnegie enough Pennsylvania stock to collateralize a $600,000 loan?
2. What characterizes America?
3. Carnegie's first dividend check for ________ opens a whole new world of receiving cash from capital.
4. Scott leaves Carnegie in charge when he does what?
5. Business transactions at the time take place over what type of communication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Carnegie is in Scotland?
2. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
3. Describe the firm and the new mill.
4. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
5. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
6. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
7. Who is Homestead? How does Carnegie deal with Homestead?
8. What work do the Carnegies find in America?
9. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
10. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
Essay Topic 1
Carnegie works for the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Part 1) Describe his time with this railroad company. How is this time significant in his career as a businessman?
Part 2) What are four important things he learns from working for the Pennsylvania Railroad? How are these things useful later in his life?
Part 3) Andrew receives several promotions. Why? How is this success foreshadowed earlier in the book?
Essay Topic 2
After Carnegie's apprenticeship ends at the Pennsylvania Railroad, he is ready to move on.
Part 1) Why does he decide it is time to move on? Is this a good decision? Why or why not? To where does he move on? Why?
Part 2) How does this move change his life? Do you believe he would have been successful if he had stayed at the Pennsylvania Railroad? Why or why not?
Part 3 ) Describe a time when you have realized it was time for a change. How did you know? How did you go about this change? What were the end results?
Essay Topic 3
The "American dream" characterizes America.
Part 1) What is the "American dream?" How does it characterize America? How did this dream come to be? How did this dream affect immigration into the United States? How does it affect immigration into our country today?
Part 2) How was Andrew Carnegie affected by this dream? What role did this dream play in his rise in power and Carnegie's being the richest man in the world?
Part 3) How are you affected by the "American dream?" How do you see this "dream" in your own community and in the U.S. as a whole? Do you believe it is as strong as it was over one hundred years ago? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)