|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thirteen year-old Andrew sees his father fail while admiring whose determination to rise above it?
2. Within _______ years of arriving in America, the Carnegies recoup their fortune through the help of their friends, relatives, and countrymen in America and earn more income that they ever received in Scotland.
3. Railroad ______________ run the trains, maintain rolling stock and track, price and collect charges for service on passenger and freight trains running in both directions to meet demand.
4. Carnegie's ideas about machines, individual success and the American political system contribute to the development and growth of what?
5. From 1867 through 1872, Andrew Carnegie joins the expansion trend by manipulating what stock to promote $30 million in stocks and bonds in Europe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Carnegie cautious in his investments? How might this help him throughout his career?
2. What does Carnegie learn at the Pennsylvania Railroad?
3. Describe Duqesne Steel.
4. What agreement is made between the triumvirate and James L. Shaw?
5. Describe the seven years of peace and prosperity in the North.
6. How does Andrew escape the textile mills?
7. What is a second dimension necessary to effect this integration?
8. What takes place in April 1899? How does Carnegie feel about this?
9. How does Carnegie determine he can profit from the boom in telegraphy?
10. Describe the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1865.
Essay Topic 1
Carnegie invests in the Keystone Bridge Company.
Part 1) What is the Keystone Bridge Company? How is this investment significant? What investments and decisions lead up to this investment?
Part 2) Why might a company such as the Keystone Bridge Company be so important at this time? What connection does this company have with railroads and the telegraph?
Part 3) If Carnegie were alive today, in what types of companies might he invest? Why? If you were to invest in a company, which one would it be? Why?
Essay Topic 2
A typical pattern in the 19th century is that a community builds up around a few pioneers who leave their homeland and then encourage friends and relatives to join them.
Part 1) How was this the case for the Carnegies? How did they benefit from this? How might this have affected communities in the U.S.?
Part 2) How would this affect one's ability to acclimate to the American culture? What might have been considered American culture at this time? Explain.
Part 3) How are these communities still seen today? Why do these ethnic communities still exist?
Essay Topic 3
The start of ET coincides with the Panic of 1873.
Part 1) What is ET? Why is it significant that the start of ET coincides with this panic? How does this affect Carnegie, his partners, and the investors?
Part 2) How does Carnegie deal with this panic? What decisions does he make? How much of an impact do these decisions have on his company? What do his decisions and actions reveal and reinforce about him?
Part 3) How would you have reacted if you had lived during the Panic of 1873? Would you have been as clear-headed and forward-thinking at Carnegie? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,055 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)