Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pullman gives Carnegie enough Pennsylvania stock to collateralize a $600,000 loan?
2. What characterizes America?
3. Carnegie's first dividend check for ________ opens a whole new world of receiving cash from capital.
4. Scott leaves Carnegie in charge when he does what?
5. Business transactions at the time take place over what type of communication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Carnegie is in Scotland?
2. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
3. Describe the firm and the new mill.
4. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
5. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
6. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
7. Who is Homestead? How does Carnegie deal with Homestead?
8. What work do the Carnegies find in America?
9. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
10. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
Essay Topic 1
The start of ET coincides with the Panic of 1873.
Part 1) What is ET? Why is it significant that the start of ET coincides with this panic? How does this affect Carnegie, his partners, and the investors?
Part 2) How does Carnegie deal with this panic? What decisions does he make? How much of an impact do these decisions have on his company? What do his decisions and actions reveal and reinforce about him?
Part 3) How would you have reacted if you had lived during the Panic of 1873? Would you have been as clear-headed and forward-thinking at Carnegie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Carnegie and George Pullman make "The Pullman Palace Car Company" a joint venture.
Part 1) How does this joint venture come about? Is this a good decision for both men? Why or why not? What does this joint venture reveal about both Carnegie and Pullman?
Part 2) How does this venture affect the triumvirate? How does it affect other stockholders? How does it lead to the end of stock speculation? How does this end of speculation lead Carnegie in a new direction?
Part 3) Think of two companies you admire or whose products you enjoy. What would it be like if they joined forces? How would this joint venture affect them? How would it affect customers like yourself?
Essay Topic 3
After Carnegie's apprenticeship ends at the Pennsylvania Railroad, he is ready to move on.
Part 1) Why does he decide it is time to move on? Is this a good decision? Why or why not? To where does he move on? Why?
Part 2) How does this move change his life? Do you believe he would have been successful if he had stayed at the Pennsylvania Railroad? Why or why not?
Part 3 ) Describe a time when you have realized it was time for a change. How did you know? How did you go about this change? What were the end results?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)