|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people immigrate from the Old to the New World to embed the dream into an image of America far stronger than the success of a few like the Guggenheims and Vanderbilts?
2. The triumvirate agrees to sell at once for what reason?
3. Coleman wants to raise the price of oil by doing what?
4. Carnegie uses $11,000 in Woodruff dividends to buy 1,100 shares that pay $17,800 in their first year and eventually over _________ dollars.
5. In _________, the transcontinental Union Pacific seeks bids from sleeping car companies for its expansion.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
2. What does Carnegie learn at the Pennsylvania Railroad?
3. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
4. What characterizes America? To what does this refer?
5. How is Carnegie cautious in his investments? How might this help him throughout his career?
6. How does Carnegie determine he can profit from the boom in telegraphy?
7. Describe Carnegie's investment in Keystone Bridge Company.
8. What happens on July 15, 1848?
9. How does industry benefit from Carnegie?
10. Give an example of when Carnegie meets railroad's customers and initiates control of division operations when needed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Andrew escapes the coal and oil of textile mills.
Part 1) How does he escape? To where does he escape? How does he benefit from this? How do his experiences in these mills influence him?
Part 2) How important are his early careers to his life as a capitalist and then as entrepreneur? How does he use the knowledge he gains throughout his life in his career decisions? How does he benefit from doing this?
Part 3) How might your own work experiences influence you as an adult in the work force? What experiences have already occurred in your life that will be beneficial in the future?
Essay Topic 2
Frick shares Carnegie's vision and drive but lacks a sense of humor and is self-righteous.
Part 1) Describe Henry Frick. What is the relationship between Frick and Carnegie? How does this relationship develop? How are both men affected by this relationship?
Part 2) What are the benefits and detriments of Frick to the Carnegie Company? In the end, do you believe Frick was a benefit or a detriment to Carnegie? Why?
Part 3) How does Frick allow his power to go to his head? How does this affect the decisions he makes about the Carnegie Company? Describe someone you know who has allowed power to adversely affect him or her. How can this be avoided? What is required in one's personality to avoid this egotism?
Essay Topic 3
The "American dream" characterizes America.
Part 1) What is the "American dream?" How does it characterize America? How did this dream come to be? How did this dream affect immigration into the United States? How does it affect immigration into our country today?
Part 2) How was Andrew Carnegie affected by this dream? What role did this dream play in his rise in power and Carnegie's being the richest man in the world?
Part 3) How are you affected by the "American dream?" How do you see this "dream" in your own community and in the U.S. as a whole? Do you believe it is as strong as it was over one hundred years ago? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)