|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1849 when he takes the job, Carnegie is at the beginning of a period when capital, manpower and technology in the United States transitions from __________________.
2. A new competitor, ________________ , decides a lavishly decorated "rolling palace" may have an edge, and by 1867 he has forty-eight in service.
3. Railroad receipts increase from $40 million in 1851 to _____________ fifteen years later in 1867.
4. Andrew Carnegie becomes known as the city's best _____________.
5. Seeds of ambivalence develop within Andrew to appreciate what ideas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carnegie learn at the Pennsylvania Railroad?
2. Who are Roberto Goizuetta and Any Grove?
3. Give an example of when Carnegie meets railroad's customers and initiates control of division operations when needed.
4. By what is this dream not diminished?
5. What work do the Carnegies find in America?
6. The partners pledge an investment to be made in installments paid when due or by the company as credit for dividends payable on the whole investment. Give an example of this pledge in action.
7. What happens on July 15, 1848?
8. What are the jobs of the railroad managers?
9. How is Pittsburgh important at this time?
10. How is Carnegie cautious in his investments? How might this help him throughout his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Carnegie's apprenticeship ends at the Pennsylvania Railroad, he is ready to move on.
Part 1) Why does he decide it is time to move on? Is this a good decision? Why or why not? To where does he move on? Why?
Part 2) How does this move change his life? Do you believe he would have been successful if he had stayed at the Pennsylvania Railroad? Why or why not?
Part 3 ) Describe a time when you have realized it was time for a change. How did you know? How did you go about this change? What were the end results?
Essay Topic 2
Carnegie works for the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Part 1) Describe his time with this railroad company. How is this time significant in his career as a businessman?
Part 2) What are four important things he learns from working for the Pennsylvania Railroad? How are these things useful later in his life?
Part 3) Andrew receives several promotions. Why? How is this success foreshadowed earlier in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Carnegie invests in the Keystone Bridge Company.
Part 1) What is the Keystone Bridge Company? How is this investment significant? What investments and decisions lead up to this investment?
Part 2) Why might a company such as the Keystone Bridge Company be so important at this time? What connection does this company have with railroads and the telegraph?
Part 3) If Carnegie were alive today, in what types of companies might he invest? Why? If you were to invest in a company, which one would it be? Why?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)