|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pullman gives Carnegie enough Pennsylvania stock to collateralize a $600,000 loan?
2. What characterizes America?
3. Carnegie's first dividend check for ________ opens a whole new world of receiving cash from capital.
4. Scott leaves Carnegie in charge when he does what?
5. Business transactions at the time take place over what type of communication?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Carnegie is in Scotland?
2. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
3. Describe the firm and the new mill.
4. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
5. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
6. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
7. Who is Homestead? How does Carnegie deal with Homestead?
8. What work do the Carnegies find in America?
9. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
10. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
Essay Topic 1
Carnegie forms an informal investing triumvirate.
Part 1) Describe this triumvirate. Why does he form this group? How effective are they? How do they benefit Carnegie? How doe they benefit from him?
Part 2) Throughout the book, what role does this triumvirate play? How does it aid Andrew in growing his wealth? How is it, at times, detrimental?
Part 3) If you were to form a triumvirate, who would it include? Why? What would be the purpose of the triumvirate?
Essay Topic 2
Andrew escapes the coal and oil of textile mills.
Part 1) How does he escape? To where does he escape? How does he benefit from this? How do his experiences in these mills influence him?
Part 2) How important are his early careers to his life as a capitalist and then as entrepreneur? How does he use the knowledge he gains throughout his life in his career decisions? How does he benefit from doing this?
Part 3) How might your own work experiences influence you as an adult in the work force? What experiences have already occurred in your life that will be beneficial in the future?
Essay Topic 3
Carnegie works for the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Part 1) Describe his time with this railroad company. How is this time significant in his career as a businessman?
Part 2) What are four important things he learns from working for the Pennsylvania Railroad? How are these things useful later in his life?
Part 3) Andrew receives several promotions. Why? How is this success foreshadowed earlier in the book?
This section contains 3,058 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)