|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Andrew's job delivering telegraph messages puts him in touch with whom?
2. What does Andrew dislike about the oil business that seems beyond control of management until the 1880s and Rockefeller?
3. Relying on the telegraph lets dispatchers control what, with current information and disciplined workers?
4. In 1863, his investments pay $45,460 and by 1868, he receives __________ per year for an investment of $817 that he borrows to make.
5. In _________, the transcontinental Union Pacific seeks bids from sleeping car companies for its expansion.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carnegie do when Pacific dividend payments stop?
2. What happens on July 15, 1848?
3. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
4. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
5. What happens within two years of arriving in America?
6. How is Carnegie cautious in his investments? How might this help him throughout his career?
7. Who are Roberto Goizuetta and Any Grove?
8. What characterizes America? To what does this refer?
9. How does Carnegie determine he can profit from the boom in telegraphy?
10. Give an example of when Carnegie meets railroad's customers and initiates control of division operations when needed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carnegie invests in the Keystone Bridge Company.
Part 1) What is the Keystone Bridge Company? How is this investment significant? What investments and decisions lead up to this investment?
Part 2) Why might a company such as the Keystone Bridge Company be so important at this time? What connection does this company have with railroads and the telegraph?
Part 3) If Carnegie were alive today, in what types of companies might he invest? Why? If you were to invest in a company, which one would it be? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Carnegie forms an informal investing triumvirate.
Part 1) Describe this triumvirate. Why does he form this group? How effective are they? How do they benefit Carnegie? How doe they benefit from him?
Part 2) Throughout the book, what role does this triumvirate play? How does it aid Andrew in growing his wealth? How is it, at times, detrimental?
Part 3) If you were to form a triumvirate, who would it include? Why? What would be the purpose of the triumvirate?
Essay Topic 3
Andrew Carnegie emigrated from Scotland.
Part 1) When and why did he emigrate from Scotland? Describe his life upon arriving in the U.S. How did it compare to the lives of other immigrants?
Part 2) How did his family adjust to life in America? How did this affect Andrew? When did he get the opportunity for advancement? How was this a case of being in the right place at the right time?
Part 3) What might it be like to be an immigrant today? Might it be easier or harder to adjust to American life? Explain.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)