|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie becomes an expert in Pittsburgh's _____________ business.
2. When dividend payments stop, Carnegie plans a ________ exit to maximize Pacific's price by speculation that lets the triumvirate cash out and leave the remaining Pacific stockholders to drown.
3. The business is _______________ with conductors and station agents collecting millions in small coin revenue.
4. Carnegie proposes they cooperate rather than bid against each other and suggests what be the joint venture?
5. In 1849 when he takes the job, Carnegie is at the beginning of a period when capital, manpower and technology in the United States transitions from __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The partners pledge an investment to be made in installments paid when due or by the company as credit for dividends payable on the whole investment. Give an example of this pledge in action.
2. How does industry benefit from Carnegie?
3. What are the jobs of the railroad managers?
4. Describe Carnegie's investment in Keystone Bridge Company.
5. What does Andrew do from 1867 through 1872?
6. Describe the Columbia Oil Company.
7. Describe the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1865.
8. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
9. How does Andrew benefit from his work delivering telegraph messages?
10. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Panic of 1873 is significant.
Part 1) Describe the Panic of 1873. How does it begin? How are businesses and ordinary citizens affected by it? How does the country pull out of this panic? How does this panic compare to the 1929 Crash and the Great Depression that followed?
Part 2) Could this panic have been avoided? If so, how? If not, why not? Did the country learn from this panic? Why or why not?
Part 3) Could a panic such as this occur again? Why or why not? Have we as a country learned anything from this panic, the Crash of 1929, and other economic disasters? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Andrew becomes known as Pittsburgh's best telegraph operator.
Part 1) How does he become known as this? What does this reveal about his personality? How are these character traits continually revealed and reinforced throughout this book?
Part 2) How does Andrew benefit from this title? How does his work ethic and natural business sense impact the decisions he makes throughout his life?
Part 3) What can you learn from Andrew? How can you benefit from Andrew's experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Frick shares Carnegie's vision and drive but lacks a sense of humor and is self-righteous.
Part 1) Describe Henry Frick. What is the relationship between Frick and Carnegie? How does this relationship develop? How are both men affected by this relationship?
Part 2) What are the benefits and detriments of Frick to the Carnegie Company? In the end, do you believe Frick was a benefit or a detriment to Carnegie? Why?
Part 3) How does Frick allow his power to go to his head? How does this affect the decisions he makes about the Carnegie Company? Describe someone you know who has allowed power to adversely affect him or her. How can this be avoided? What is required in one's personality to avoid this egotism?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)