|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Railroads link Pittsburgh to the Atlantic coast and eventually to the Pacific coast, with the _______________ the best of them all.
2. _____________ is the focal point that straddles the east-west route where the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers join at the Ohio River.
3. Andrew succeeds in the mastery of what business techniques?
4. In _________, the transcontinental Union Pacific seeks bids from sleeping car companies for its expansion.
5. Why does Pullman gives Carnegie enough Pennsylvania stock to collateralize a $600,000 loan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens on July 15, 1848?
2. What happens within two years of arriving in America?
3. What is a second dimension necessary to effect this integration?
4. What takes place in April 1899? How does Carnegie feel about this?
5. Why does Andrew not help Tom Scott? What are the effects of this decision?
6. Describe Carnegie's partners at this time.
7. How does industry benefit from Carnegie?
8. What characterizes America? To what does this refer?
9. How does Carnegie determine he can profit from the boom in telegraphy?
10. Describe Carnegie's replacement of equipment.
Essay Topic 1
The "American dream" characterizes America.
Part 1) What is the "American dream?" How does it characterize America? How did this dream come to be? How did this dream affect immigration into the United States? How does it affect immigration into our country today?
Part 2) How was Andrew Carnegie affected by this dream? What role did this dream play in his rise in power and Carnegie's being the richest man in the world?
Part 3) How are you affected by the "American dream?" How do you see this "dream" in your own community and in the U.S. as a whole? Do you believe it is as strong as it was over one hundred years ago? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Carnegie invests in the Keystone Bridge Company.
Part 1) What is the Keystone Bridge Company? How is this investment significant? What investments and decisions lead up to this investment?
Part 2) Why might a company such as the Keystone Bridge Company be so important at this time? What connection does this company have with railroads and the telegraph?
Part 3) If Carnegie were alive today, in what types of companies might he invest? Why? If you were to invest in a company, which one would it be? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Carnegie and George Pullman make "The Pullman Palace Car Company" a joint venture.
Part 1) How does this joint venture come about? Is this a good decision for both men? Why or why not? What does this joint venture reveal about both Carnegie and Pullman?
Part 2) How does this venture affect the triumvirate? How does it affect other stockholders? How does it lead to the end of stock speculation? How does this end of speculation lead Carnegie in a new direction?
Part 3) Think of two companies you admire or whose products you enjoy. What would it be like if they joined forces? How would this joint venture affect them? How would it affect customers like yourself?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)