|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frick's first acquisition is _____________, which is the most modern steel mill and keeps the Carnegie Company at the forefront.
(a) Factory Steel.
(c) Duquesne Steel.
(d) U.S. Steel.
2. What problems does this steel company have?
(a) Management and organization problems.
(b) Labor and capital problems.
(c) Financial and policy problems.
(d) Supply and labor problems.
3. Carnegie progresses from rolling rail to rolling structural beams and angles for bridges, skyscrapers, and ________________.
(a) Elevated railroads.
4. A second dimension necessary to effect this integration is the implementation of what system?
5. He installs a blast furnace called________ in 1872 to produce 13.361 tons initially and eventually over 100,000 tons annually by maximizing output.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie feels confident enough in 1870 to do what?
2. Carnegie's insistence on knowing the costs continues for his _______________ years in the steel business.
3. Carnegie pressures management and Frick resigns again. Is his resignation accepted?
4. Carnegie relies on what system implemented by Thomson and Scott at the railroad to transfer and adapt it to industry?
5. Along with Shinn, they put together an effective team based on Carnegie's systematic analysis of personnel to provide performance incentives that raise __________ men through ranks to share ownership.
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the 1893 depression? What does Carnegie do at this time?
2. Describe American steel companies between 1870 and 1900.
3. Describe the firm and the new mill.
4. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
5. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
6. Describe the deficiency that Carnegie corrected by integrating Keystone Bridge and Union Iron?
7. What does Carnegie do between 1872 and 1889?
8. Who is Homestead? How does Carnegie deal with Homestead?
9. Describe the seven years of peace and prosperity in the North.
10. Describe Carnegie's partners at this time.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)