|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The process takes longer than expected, but by 1868 production begins, and expansion is planned in what year?
2. Only how many of the original nine partners remain?
3. Carnegie feels confident enough in 1870 to do what?
(a) Make large changes in the business.
(b) Sell the business.
(c) Expand the business.
(d) Buy new businesses.
4. Carnegie pressures management and Frick resigns again. Is his resignation accepted?
(a) Not at first.
(d) Only later.
5. The 1893 depression is caused by what?
(a) Manufacturing overcapacity, particularly in the oil industry.
(b) Manufacturing overcapacity, particularly in the steel industry.
(c) Manufacturing undercapacity, particularly in the steel industry.
(d) Manufacturing undercapacity, particularly in the oil industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. As mills become more efficient, the need for raw material continues with deposits from _______________________.
2. At the age of ___________ Carnegie finds a wife for his home, a business successor and considers retirement.
3. The industrial economy is crippled with some __________________ firms failing over six years.
4. By 1892, Carnegie is in ______________ and leaves labor issues to Frick.
5. Small firms operate iron furnaces to smelt ore into _______ iron.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carnegie's partners at this time.
2. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
3. How does Carnegie rely on the McCallum system?
4. Describe the seven years of peace and prosperity in the North.
5. What does Phipps suggest to Carnegie? How does Carnegie benefit from this?
6. Who is Homestead? How does Carnegie deal with Homestead?
7. Describe American steel companies between 1870 and 1900.
8. What venture is formed between Tom Miller and Carnegie?
9. What does Frick's chairmanship mark?
10. Describe the deficiency that Carnegie corrected by integrating Keystone Bridge and Union Iron?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)