|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carnegie pressures management and Frick resigns again. Is his resignation accepted?
(a) Only later.
(d) Not at first.
2. The Cyclops and Union Mills merger reduces time and labor cost of moving material and eliminates middlemen by _________ integration.
3. The 1893 depression is caused by what?
(a) Manufacturing overcapacity, particularly in the oil industry.
(b) Manufacturing undercapacity, particularly in the oil industry.
(c) Manufacturing undercapacity, particularly in the steel industry.
(d) Manufacturing overcapacity, particularly in the steel industry.
4. William Coleman also shares Carnegie's interest and enthusiasm in what?
5. They make a deal that is considered what?
(a) Carnegie's most surprising decisions.
(b) Carnegie's least important achievement.
(c) Carnegie's greatest achievement.
(d) A poor decision.
Short Answer Questions
1. What firms are formed and the Gilded Age develops in New York?
2. Tom Miller is a _________ man who forms joint ventures with Carnegie in several small investments. They form Freedom Iron Company of Lewiston Pennsylvania in 1861 that Carnegie restructures into Freedom Iron and Steel to retool for the Bessemer process in 1866.
3. Americans in the North have how many years of peace and prosperity as they begin to exploit American markets?
4. Carnegie hires Captain Bill Jones to raid whose staff where they worked together before its strike to run ET?
5. Carnegie is praised by labor leaders and Frick is considered _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the 1893 depression? What does Carnegie do at this time?
2. Why does Andrew not help Tom Scott? What are the effects of this decision?
3. Describe Carnegie's replacement of equipment.
4. Describe Captain Bill Jones' management of labor.
5. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
6. Describe the economic collapse. How are Carnegie and others affected by it?
7. Describe Duqesne Steel.
8. Describe the firm and the new mill.
9. How does Carnegie benefit from cutting costs?
10. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)