|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Their deal demonstrates the power of what?
2. William Coleman also shares Carnegie's interest and enthusiasm in what?
3. From 1872 through ________, Carnegie builds an integrated industrial business to become the best-known manufacturer in the world, publishes three books, travels around the world, and becomes a philanthropist with the express intent to give away his fortune.
4. Americans in the North have how many years of peace and prosperity as they begin to exploit American markets?
5. Holley's pre-production estimates and Shinn's voucher system provides Carnegie's Edgar Thomson Works with accurate profitability in its ________ month of operation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie's methods in steel concentrate what?
2. Cost information enables cost-cutting per unit by __________________________ at the same output level.
3. Beginning in 1872, Carnegie focuses on the single project of his steel-rail rolling mill that is completed in _________.
4. When Carnegie decides what furnace is more effective, he orders six more to be built immediately.
5. The Cyclops and Union Mills merger reduces time and labor cost of moving material and eliminates middlemen by _________ integration.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
2. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
3. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
4. What does Schwab do for the business?
5. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
6. What venture is formed between Tom Miller and Carnegie?
7. Describe the deficiency that Carnegie corrected by integrating Keystone Bridge and Union Iron?
8. What does Frick's chairmanship mark?
9. Describe American steel companies between 1870 and 1900.
10. Why does Andrew not help Tom Scott? What are the effects of this decision?
This section contains 1,135 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)