|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In __________, Carnegie has the most modern operation.
2. At thirty, Frick is a millionaire with _______ thousand coke ovens and three thousand acres of land.
3. Specialized merchants control flow of product at every step, which _____________________.
(a) Slows costs and increases materials flow.
(b) Increases costs and increases materials flow.
(c) Slows costs and slows materials flow.
(d) Increases costs and slows materials flow.
4. Carnegie is praised by labor leaders and Frick is considered _____________.
(a) "Carnegie's assistant."
(b) "A hero."
(c) "Haughty and disdainful."
(d) "Strange and righteous."
5. Frick shares Carnegie's vision and drive but is self-righteous and lacks what?
(b) A sense of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie hires the expert ____________ to put the Bessemer program in place and function as its works superintendent.
2. Carnegie feels confident enough in 1870 to do what?
3. Carnegie corrects this deficiency by integrating _______________________.
4. What firms are formed and the Gilded Age develops in New York?
5. Carnegie progresses from rolling rail to rolling structural beams and angles for bridges, skyscrapers, and ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Duqesne Steel.
2. Describe Carnegie's replacement of equipment.
3. Describe the deficiency that Carnegie corrected by integrating Keystone Bridge and Union Iron?
4. Describe American steel companies between 1870 and 1900.
5. How does Carnegie rely on the McCallum system?
6. Describe the economic collapse. How are Carnegie and others affected by it?
7. What does Frick's chairmanship mark?
8. Why does Andrew not help Tom Scott? What are the effects of this decision?
9. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
10. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)