|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Historically, management of the Carnegie companies resulted in _____ labor difficulties before the Homestead strike.
(a) Hundreds of.
(b) Quite a few.
2. Beginning in 1872, Carnegie focuses on the single project of his steel-rail rolling mill that is completed in _________.
3. Phipps sees possible gains in other operations and encourages Carnegie to hire who?
(a) A full-time chemist.
(b) A full-time biologist.
(c) A full-time conservationist.
(d) A full-time physicist.
4. Phipps buys flue-cinder at fifty cents a ton and sells puddle-cinder at ________ per ton to improve Lucy furnace product and save money.
5. Carnegie progresses from rolling rail to rolling structural beams and angles for bridges, skyscrapers, and ________________.
(b) Elevated railroads.
Short Answer Questions
1. Their deal demonstrates the power of what?
2. Small firms operate iron furnaces to smelt ore into _______ iron.
3. Carnegie forms an enterprise to manufacture Bessemer steel as he changes from ________________.
4. At the age of ___________ Carnegie finds a wife for his home, a business successor and considers retirement.
5. After this steel company's acquisition for _____ million bonds, Frick restructures all the related companies with Carnegie Steel Company, Limited taking over assets of Carnegie Brothers and Carnegie Phipps with a $25 million capital base, distributing to Carnegie 55 percent, Frick and Phipps both 11 percent each, 1 percent each to nineteen partners and 4 percent reserve for key staff.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
2. What is a second dimension necessary to effect this integration?
3. What does Frick's chairmanship mark?
4. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
5. What does Schwab do for the business?
6. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
7. What does the entrepreneurial Carnegie begin in 1872? Describe his work at this time.
8. Who is Homestead? How does Carnegie deal with Homestead?
9. What venture is formed between Tom Miller and Carnegie?
10. What does Carnegie do between 1872 and 1889?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)