|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carnegie tries to use public relations, legislative action and threatens who to drive shipping costs down?
(a) A competitor in the steel industry.
(b) The unions.
(c) A competitor railroad.
(d) John D. Rockefeller.
2. Cost information enables cost-cutting per unit by __________________________ at the same output level.
(a) Increasing the speed of materials flow and increasing labor cost.
(b) Decreasing the speed of materials flow and increasing labor cost.
(c) Decreasing the speed of materials flow and decreasing labor cost.
(d) Increasing the speed of materials flow and decreasing labor cost.
3. They make a deal that is considered what?
(a) Carnegie's greatest achievement.
(b) Carnegie's least important achievement.
(c) Carnegie's most surprising decisions.
(d) A poor decision.
4. Captain Bill Jones claims success in managing labor by doing what?
(a) Keeping crews "judiciously mixed."
(b) Raising the crews' salaries.
(c) Firing the instigators in the crew.
(d) Keeping crews "judiciously separated."
5. The 1878 Thomas process of lime-lining the heating vessel to eliminate phosphorous is acquired by Carnegie and sold to who two years later?
(a) The Mellon Association.
(b) The Roosevelt Association.
(c) The John D. Rockefeller Association.
(d) The Bessemer Association.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie pressures management and Frick resigns again. Is his resignation accepted?
2. The process takes longer than expected, but by 1868 production begins, and expansion is planned in what year?
3. In __________, Carnegie has the most modern operation.
4. Bank failures destroy personal savings, social safety nets are nonexistent and workers retreat to the family farm or where?
5. Productive staff is rewarded and non-productive staff is ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
2. What venture is formed between Tom Miller and Carnegie?
3. Describe the seven years of peace and prosperity in the North.
4. What does Carnegie do between 1872 and 1889?
5. What causes the 1893 depression? What does Carnegie do at this time?
6. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
7. Describe Carnegie's replacement of equipment.
8. Describe the firm and the new mill.
9. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
10. How does Carnegie rely on the McCallum system?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)