|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Holley's pre-production estimates and Shinn's voucher system provides Carnegie's Edgar Thomson Works with accurate profitability in its ________ month of operation.
2. Frick's first acquisition is _____________, which is the most modern steel mill and keeps the Carnegie Company at the forefront.
(a) Duquesne Steel.
(b) U.S. Steel.
(c) Factory Steel.
3. The mill site is strategically situated _______________ where the Pennsylvania, Baltimore and Ohio railroad and river transportation system is readily available, nearby the coal fields.
(a) At the Potomac.
(b) At the Allegheny.
(c) At the Monongahela.
(d) At the Ohio River.
4. By 1892, Carnegie is in ______________ and leaves labor issues to Frick.
5. Carnegie progresses from rolling rail to rolling structural beams and angles for bridges, skyscrapers, and ________________.
(d) Elevated railroads.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the age of ___________ Carnegie finds a wife for his home, a business successor and considers retirement.
2. When the state legislature creates a limited partnership in ____________, Carnegie, McCandless immediately restructures into the Edgar Thomson Steel Company, Limited.
3. Americans in the North have how many years of peace and prosperity as they begin to exploit American markets?
4. Carnegie forms an enterprise to manufacture Bessemer steel as he changes from ________________.
5. Carnegie sells _____________ bonds to Junius Morgan in London to complete construction of the Edgar Thomson Works in 1875, and saves 25 percent in costs from the depression.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carnegie rely on the McCallum system?
2. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
3. Describe the deficiency that Carnegie corrected by integrating Keystone Bridge and Union Iron?
4. Describe Captain Bill Jones' management of labor.
5. Describe Duqesne Steel.
6. What venture is formed between Tom Miller and Carnegie?
7. What does Schwab do for the business?
8. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
9. What does the entrepreneurial Carnegie begin in 1872? Describe his work at this time.
10. What is a second dimension necessary to effect this integration?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)