|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. He follows a policy of putting all his eggs in the same basket and doing what?
(a) Ignoring it.
(b) Forgetting about it.
(c) Worrying about it.
(d) Watching it.
2. Henry Phipps reviews blast furnace operations where flue-cinders are thrown away. What happens to puddling furnace cinders?
(a) They are thrown away.
(b) They are used in the blast furnace.
(c) They are destroyed.
(d) They cause pollution.
3. Carnegie hires Captain Bill Jones to raid whose staff where they worked together before its strike to run ET?
(a) Cambria pines'.
(b) Cambria heights'.
(c) Cambria font's.
(d) Cambria mill's.
4. Beginning in 1872, Carnegie focuses on the single project of his steel-rail rolling mill that is completed in _________.
5. Tom Miller is a _________ man who forms joint ventures with Carnegie in several small investments. They form Freedom Iron Company of Lewiston Pennsylvania in 1861 that Carnegie restructures into Freedom Iron and Steel to retool for the Bessemer process in 1866.
Short Answer Questions
1. What firms are formed and the Gilded Age develops in New York?
2. One of the country's largest banking houses Jay Cooke's collapses, credit structures tumble and _____________ businesses fail in a year.
3. The process takes longer than expected, but by 1868 production begins, and expansion is planned in what year?
4. What problems does this steel company have?
5. Carnegie tries to use public relations, legislative action and threatens who to drive shipping costs down?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
2. What does Schwab do for the business?
3. Describe Carnegie's partners at this time.
4. Describe the seven years of peace and prosperity in the North.
5. What does Phipps suggest to Carnegie? How does Carnegie benefit from this?
6. Describe Carnegie's replacement of equipment.
7. Why does Andrew not help Tom Scott? What are the effects of this decision?
8. How does Carnegie rely on the McCallum system?
9. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
10. What does the entrepreneurial Carnegie begin in 1872? Describe his work at this time.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)