|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carnegie's labor guidelines and Captain Bill's implementation works well until 1889 when what happens to Bill?
(a) He is injured in a blast furnace explosion.
(b) He is killed in a blast furnace explosion.
(c) He is accused of causing a blast furnace explosion.
(d) He causes a blast furnace explosion.
2. What firms are formed and the Gilded Age develops in New York?
(a) Bank and credit unions.
(b) Retail and mercantile.
(c) Restaurants and fast food chains.
(d) Technology and communication.
3. A second dimension necessary to effect this integration is the implementation of what system?
4. Who rescues Merritt's Mesabi Range from bankruptcy?
(c) John D. Rockefeller.
5. Carnegie contributes __________ of the partnership total $741,000 in original capital to the firm he names "Carnegie, McCandless and Company" and names the mill "Edgar Thomson Works" (ET) for the first president of Pennsylvania Railroad.
(c) $2.5 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. Schwab cuts $500,000 in costs at Homestead by __________________ and replacing skilled labor with machines and unskilled workers.
2. Frick's first acquisition is _____________, which is the most modern steel mill and keeps the Carnegie Company at the forefront.
3. When the state legislature creates a limited partnership in ____________, Carnegie, McCandless immediately restructures into the Edgar Thomson Steel Company, Limited.
4. He follows a policy of putting all his eggs in the same basket and doing what?
5. When prosperity returns, the Carnegie business thrives. Does the damage to his personal reputation from the strike ever heal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carnegie hire Alexander Holley?
2. Describe Captain Bill Jones' management of labor.
3. Describe Carnegie's replacement of equipment.
4. Describe Carnegie's partners at this time.
5. Describe the seven years of peace and prosperity in the North.
6. Describe the firm and the new mill.
7. Describe Duqesne Steel.
8. What does Schwab do for the business?
9. What does Carnegie do between 1872 and 1889?
10. Carnegie's interest and insistence on cost-cutting leads him into more complex areas of manufacturing detail composition and chemistry. Give an example of this.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)