|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A typical pattern in the ____________ century is that a community builds up around a few pioneers who leave their homeland and then encourage friends and relatives to join them.
2. Seeds of ambivalence develop within Andrew to appreciate what ideas?
(a) Old World.
(b) His friend's.
(c) New World.
(d) His parent's.
3. Andrew goes to night school in bookkeeping at what age?
4. From 1867 through 1872, Andrew Carnegie joins the expansion trend by manipulating what stock to promote $30 million in stocks and bonds in Europe?
(a) Woodruff and Western Union.
(b) Pennsylvania Railroad and Western Union.
(c) Western Union and Union Pacific.
(d) Union Pacific and Pennsylvania Railroad.
5. It is _______________ private business firm in the world and is called "the standard railroad of the world."
(a) One of the largest.
(b) The smallest.
(c) One of the smallest.
(d) The largest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie meets John Piper in 1856 in order to build _______ bridges, instead of wooden bridges that can be set afire from locomotive sparks and are not cost-effective beyond a certain span and load factor.
2. Carnegie meets railroad's ____________ and initiates control of division operations when needed.
3. Carnegie's ideas about machines, individual success and the American political system contribute to the development and growth of what?
4. Railroad ______________ run the trains, maintain rolling stock and track, price and collect charges for service on passenger and freight trains running in both directions to meet demand.
5. Carnegie perfects business techniques to transform an iron and steel industry comprised of many small producers into what for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Andrew do from 1867 through 1872?
2. By what is this dream not diminished?
3. Describe the Columbia Oil Company.
4. Describe Carnegie's rise in business by 1865.
5. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
6. What are the jobs of the railroad managers?
7. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
8. Give an example of when Carnegie meets railroad's customers and initiates control of division operations when needed.
9. The partners pledge an investment to be made in installments paid when due or by the company as credit for dividends payable on the whole investment. Give an example of this pledge in action.
10. What does Carnegie do when Pacific dividend payments stop?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)