Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pullman gives Carnegie enough Pennsylvania stock to collateralize a $600,000 loan?
(a) He believes it is one of his best ideas.
(b) He needs money.
(c) He is ignorant of this poor decision.
(d) He trusts Carnegie.
2. What characterizes America?
(a) The "American willpower."
(b) The "American pride."
(c) The "American dream."
(d) The "American car."
3. Carnegie's first dividend check for ________ opens a whole new world of receiving cash from capital.
4. Scott leaves Carnegie in charge when he does what?
(c) Takes a ten-day trip.
(d) Has mandatory surgery.
5. Business transactions at the time take place over what type of communication?
Short Answer Questions
1. Pennsylvania Railroad buys from the Woodruff venture and offers what when borrowing?
2. The triumvirate agrees to sell at once for what reason?
3. Will is unable to catch on to new opportunities and reverts back to weaving and selling his wares on the street, which does what?
4. Except for Tom, the youngest who is in school, Will and Margaret go to work by weaving and shoe-binding, and Andrew as what in a textile mill?
5. Although Andrew dislikes the tedium, smells and hours, he works in another textile mill until what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Carnegie is in Scotland?
2. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
3. Describe the firm and the new mill.
4. How is Rockefeller involved in Carnegie's business?
5. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
6. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
7. Who is Homestead? How does Carnegie deal with Homestead?
8. What work do the Carnegies find in America?
9. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
10. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)