|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the nineteenth century American railroads are financed by bonds with over ____ percent of their earnings used to pay bond interest.
2. _____________ is the focal point that straddles the east-west route where the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers join at the Ohio River.
3. Will is unable to catch on to new opportunities and reverts back to weaving and selling his wares on the street, which does what?
(a) Destroys his self-confidence and shames his family.
(b) Builds his self-confidence and brings pride to his family.
(c) Provides a significant income for his family.
(d) Brings him more work than when he had his factory job.
4. The Carnegies stay in their homeland as long as they can until conditions become intolerable in what town?
5. Their town is at one time known as the most radical in the kingdom, as a result of the influence of ______________ who demand concessions from Parliament, primarily political equality.
(a) The Committee for a Workers' International.
(b) The Chartists.
(c) World Socialist Movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the founder of Intel and Liz Claibourne?
2. Scott and Thomson hold stock in Carnegie's name for what reason?
3. Except for Tom, the youngest who is in school, Will and Margaret go to work by weaving and shoe-binding, and Andrew as what in a textile mill?
4. In following years Carnegie gets at least ___________ for a net investment of $217.50 until 1870 when he sells out.
5. Andrew Carnegie becomes known as the city's best _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carnegie determine he can profit from the boom in telegraphy?
2. By what is this dream not diminished?
3. Who is George M. Pullman? How do he and Carnegie become involved in business together?
4. What does Andrew do from 1867 through 1872?
5. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
6. What characterizes America? To what does this refer?
7. Describe the informal investing triumvirate Carnegie formed with Thomson and Scott.
8. Describe the Columbia Oil Company.
9. What does Carnegie learn at the Pennsylvania Railroad?
10. What happens within two years of arriving in America?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)