|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1849 when he takes the job, Carnegie is at the beginning of a period when capital, manpower and technology in the United States transitions from __________________.
(a) An old industrial to a new agricultural world.
(b) An old agricultural to a new industrial world.
(c) A new industrial world to an old agricultural world.
(d) An old hunter and gatherer society to a new agricultural world.
2. Carnegie rises from bobbin boy at __________ per week in 1850 to railroad superintendent at $2,400 per year in 1865.
3. Andrew succeeds in the mastery of what business techniques?
(a) Old World.
(b) His friend's.
(c) His parent's.
(d) New World.
4. When his father dies in 1855, Andrew calls him what?
(a) A man of the world.
(b) A man not of the world.
(c) An embarrassment.
(d) A loser.
5. In ___________, Andrew is offered a job by Tom Scott, western division superintendent of the Pennsylvania Railroad, to be his secretary and personal telegrapher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the cornerstone of Carnegie's fortune, followed in 1861 by Columbia Oil?
2. This craft has been practiced by half its 11,000 people since when?
3. Margaret Carnegie's sister precedes her move to America and Annie Aitken provides them what?
4. Success is due to the first president, ________________, and the superintendent of the western division, Tom Scott, who brings Andrew Carnegie into the modern system of train control.
5. Pennsylvania Railroad buys from the Woodruff venture and offers what when borrowing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carnegie's partners at this time.
2. Why does Andrew not help Tom Scott? What are the effects of this decision?
3. What happens when Carnegie is in Scotland?
4. How is Carnegie cautious in his investments? How might this help him throughout his career?
5. What are the jobs of the railroad managers?
6. How does Andrew escape the textile mills?
7. What are the benefits of the Cyclops and Union Mills merger?
8. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
9. By what are all the partners bound?
10. Describe American steel companies between 1870 and 1900.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)