|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What demand adequate cash flow and net income for operating expenses and a dividend sufficient to maintain and attract capital to grow?
(a) Railroad technology skills.
(b) Organizational skills.
(c) Railroad management skills.
(d) Sales skills.
2. Carnegie perfects business techniques to transform an iron and steel industry comprised of many small producers into what for the first time?
(a) No business.
(b) Government-controlled business.
(c) Small business.
(d) Big business.
3. Railroads link Pittsburgh to the Atlantic coast and eventually to the Pacific coast, with the _______________ the best of them all.
(a) CSX Corporation.
(b) Union Pacific.
(c) BNSF Railway Company.
(d) Pennsylvania Railroad.
4. The Carnegies stay in their homeland as long as they can until conditions become intolerable in what town?
5. Carnegie meets John Piper in 1856 in order to build _______ bridges, instead of wooden bridges that can be set afire from locomotive sparks and are not cost-effective beyond a certain span and load factor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Margaret Carnegie's sister precedes her move to America and Annie Aitken provides them what?
2. In 1856, Scott advises him to buy what company as his first stock investment?
3. Scott and Thomson like the Woodruff Sleeping Car Company that owns patents in 1858 but lacks what?
4. Andrew goes to night school in bookkeeping at what age?
5. Scott and Thomson hold stock in Carnegie's name for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement is made between the triumvirate and James L. Shaw?
2. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
3. How does Andrew escape the textile mills?
4. How does Carnegie determine he can profit from the boom in telegraphy?
5. The partners pledge an investment to be made in installments paid when due or by the company as credit for dividends payable on the whole investment. Give an example of this pledge in action.
6. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
7. What are the jobs of the railroad managers?
8. How is Carnegie cautious in his investments? How might this help him throughout his career?
9. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
10. Describe the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1865.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)