|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _____________ is the focal point that straddles the east-west route where the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers join at the Ohio River.
2. Except for Tom, the youngest who is in school, Will and Margaret go to work by weaving and shoe-binding, and Andrew as what in a textile mill?
(a) A weaver.
(b) A bobbin boy.
(c) An errand boy.
(d) A shoe-binder.
3. Their town is at one time known as the most radical in the kingdom, as a result of the influence of ______________ who demand concessions from Parliament, primarily political equality.
(a) The Committee for a Workers' International.
(b) World Socialist Movement.
(c) The Chartists.
4. Carnegie uses $11,000 in Woodruff dividends to buy 1,100 shares that pay $17,800 in their first year and eventually over _________ dollars.
(a) Two hundred thousand.
(b) Two million.
(c) A thousand.
(d) A million.
5. Carnegie becomes an expert in Pittsburgh's _____________ business.
Short Answer Questions
1. In following years Carnegie gets at least ___________ for a net investment of $217.50 until 1870 when he sells out.
2. What demand adequate cash flow and net income for operating expenses and a dividend sufficient to maintain and attract capital to grow?
3. He leaves his Pittsburgh home and iron business to live in what city?
4. Managerial skill level reached over ______________ years exceeds that of the prior five centuries.
5. Erie and Pennsylvania Railroads each have ________ thousand employees trained into a disciplined workforce.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andrew escape the textile mills?
2. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
3. What does Carnegie learn at the Pennsylvania Railroad?
4. Describe Carnegie's rise in business by 1865.
5. What characterizes America? To what does this refer?
6. How is Pittsburgh important at this time?
7. How does industry benefit from Carnegie?
8. How does Carnegie determine he can profit from the boom in telegraphy?
9. What does Andrew do from 1867 through 1872?
10. Describe Carnegie's investment in Keystone Bridge Company.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)