|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Their town is at one time known as the most radical in the kingdom, as a result of the influence of ______________ who demand concessions from Parliament, primarily political equality.
(b) The Chartists.
(c) World Socialist Movement.
(d) The Committee for a Workers' International.
2. Who was the founder of Intel and Liz Claibourne?
(a) Cuban Roberto Goizuetta.
(b) Hungarian Andy Grove.
(c) American Cuba Gooding, Jr.
(d) Indian Pooja Patel.
3. Andrew begins to see the railroad industry as an opportunity to regain what?
(a) The pride he thinks the Carnegies lost by emigrating.
(b) The money his family has lost.
(c) His sense of self.
(d) His understanding of business.
4. The triumvirate agrees to sell at once for what reason?
(a) Since it has no dollar investment in the transaction.
(b) It is the most logical plan.
(c) They want to get rid of shares.
(d) There are no better offers.
5. Carnegie's first installment on his one-eighth interest in Woodruff is $217.50 borrowed from the bank. The balance is paid by dividends in the venture's ________ year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Margaret Carnegie's sister precedes her move to America and Annie Aitken provides them what?
2. What characterizes America?
3. Within _______ years of arriving in America, the Carnegies recoup their fortune through the help of their friends, relatives, and countrymen in America and earn more income that they ever received in Scotland.
4. Carnegie becomes an expert in Pittsburgh's _____________ business.
5. Scott sends Carnegie off to where as a bond salesman with good wishes, a bag of bonds and letters of reference for the St. Louis Bridge Company?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Carnegie determine he can profit from the boom in telegraphy?
2. By what is this dream not diminished?
3. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
4. How does Andrew benefit from his work delivering telegraph messages?
5. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
6. Describe the Columbia Oil Company.
7. Describe Carnegie's rise in business by 1865.
8. What does Andrew do from 1867 through 1872?
9. The partners pledge an investment to be made in installments paid when due or by the company as credit for dividends payable on the whole investment. Give an example of this pledge in action.
10. Describe the informal investing triumvirate Carnegie formed with Thomson and Scott.
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)