|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Managerial skill level reached over ______________ years exceeds that of the prior five centuries.
2. Their town is at one time known as the most radical in the kingdom, as a result of the influence of ______________ who demand concessions from Parliament, primarily political equality.
(a) The Committee for a Workers' International.
(c) The Chartists.
(d) World Socialist Movement.
3. What is the town's industry in 1835?
(a) Hand weaving.
(b) Silk weaving.
(c) Basket weaving.
4. Relying on the telegraph lets dispatchers control what, with current information and disciplined workers?
(a) Train movement.
(b) Customer movement.
(c) Train repairs.
(d) Customer interest.
5. Carnegie presents the bonds to the Morgan investment banking house in London in March, 1869, where he sells them to Morgan at what percent?
Short Answer Questions
1. When his father dies in 1855, Andrew calls him what?
2. Within _______ years of arriving in America, the Carnegies recoup their fortune through the help of their friends, relatives, and countrymen in America and earn more income that they ever received in Scotland.
3. Machines begin taking over production with energy from _____________ independent from windmills and waterwheels.
4. Carnegie's ideas about machines, individual success and the American political system contribute to the development and growth of what?
5. Scott and Thomson like the Woodruff Sleeping Car Company that owns patents in 1858 but lacks what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Carnegie cautious in his investments? How might this help him throughout his career?
2. How does Andrew benefit from his work delivering telegraph messages?
3. The partners pledge an investment to be made in installments paid when due or by the company as credit for dividends payable on the whole investment. Give an example of this pledge in action.
4. What happens when Carnegie goes to Scotland?
5. Describe Carnegie's replacement of equipment.
6. Describe the informal investing triumvirate Carnegie formed with Thomson and Scott.
7. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
8. By what is this dream not diminished?
9. Describe the deficiency that Carnegie corrected by integrating Keystone Bridge and Union Iron?
10. What characterizes America? To what does this refer?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)