|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What railroad focuses capital investments that either increase revenue or reduce unit cost to justify them?
(a) Union Pacific.
2. Andrew's job delivering telegraph messages puts him in touch with whom?
(a) People of varying races.
(b) The President of the United States.
(c) Business producers on their way to national prominence.
(d) Many irate individuals.
3. Erie and Pennsylvania Railroads each have ________ thousand employees trained into a disciplined workforce.
4. What demand adequate cash flow and net income for operating expenses and a dividend sufficient to maintain and attract capital to grow?
(a) Sales skills.
(b) Railroad management skills.
(c) Railroad technology skills.
(d) Organizational skills.
5. Railroads link Pittsburgh to the Atlantic coast and eventually to the Pacific coast, with the _______________ the best of them all.
(a) Pennsylvania Railroad.
(b) CSX Corporation.
(c) Union Pacific.
(d) BNSF Railway Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Railroad ______________ run the trains, maintain rolling stock and track, price and collect charges for service on passenger and freight trains running in both directions to meet demand.
2. He forms an informal investing ____________ with Thomson and Scott.
3. Andrew begins to see the railroad industry as an opportunity to regain what?
4. Carnegie, acting under Scott-Thomson proxies, now owns how much of Pacific and Atlantic for the start-up Keystone Telegraph?
5. Who was the founder of Intel and Liz Claibourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carnegie's rise in business by 1865.
2. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
3. How is Pittsburgh important at this time?
4. Describe the informal investing triumvirate Carnegie formed with Thomson and Scott.
5. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
6. What does Carnegie do in Europe?
7. Who is George M. Pullman? How do he and Carnegie become involved in business together?
8. What does Andrew do from 1867 through 1872?
9. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
10. Describe the Columbia Oil Company.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)