|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carnegie proposes they cooperate rather than bid against each other and suggests what be the joint venture?
(a) "The Pullman Sleeper Car Company."
(b) "The Carnegie Car Company."
(c) "The Pullman-Carnegie Car Company."
(d) "The Pullman Palace Car Company."
2. Scott leaves Carnegie in charge when he does what?
(a) Takes a ten-day trip.
(d) Has mandatory surgery.
3. When his father dies in 1855, Andrew calls him what?
(a) A man of the world.
(b) An embarrassment.
(c) A man not of the world.
(d) A loser.
4. Carnegie and his triumvirate get a franchise from Pennsylvania Railroad with the benefits of existing poles and franchising from Trenton through to what?
(a) The Ohio state line.
(b) The Illinois state line.
(c) The Missouri state line.
(d) The Indiana state line.
5. Carnegie is cautious in his investments by limiting them to what?
(a) Firms his friends suggest.
(b) Small firms.
(c) Firms he has studied for several months.
(d) Firms he knows about that are related to the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie's ideas about machines, individual success and the American political system contribute to the development and growth of what?
2. Carnegie's first installment on his one-eighth interest in Woodruff is $217.50 borrowed from the bank. The balance is paid by dividends in the venture's ________ year.
3. The triumvirate agrees to sell at once for what reason?
4. Except for Tom, the youngest who is in school, Will and Margaret go to work by weaving and shoe-binding, and Andrew as what in a textile mill?
5. Andrew goes to night school in bookkeeping at what age?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Carnegie's investment in Keystone Bridge Company.
2. How does industry benefit from Carnegie?
3. What are the jobs of the railroad managers?
4. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
5. By what is this dream not diminished?
6. Describe the Columbia Oil Company.
7. What happens within two years of arriving in America?
8. Who are Roberto Goizuetta and Any Grove?
9. What work do the Carnegies find in America?
10. How does Andrew benefit from his work delivering telegraph messages?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)