|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. He forms an informal investing ____________ with Thomson and Scott.
2. A typical pattern in the ____________ century is that a community builds up around a few pioneers who leave their homeland and then encourage friends and relatives to join them.
3. Carnegie is cautious in his investments by limiting them to what?
(a) Firms his friends suggest.
(b) Small firms.
(c) Firms he has studied for several months.
(d) Firms he knows about that are related to the Pennsylvania Railroad.
4. Andrew Carnegie's last bond financing sale comes in July, _______ when he sells $6 million in bonds to Sulzbach Brothers, who buy bonds reluctantly, with Carnegie's encouragement.
5. This old craft is destroyed in _______ years, along with Will Carnegie's job and his town's main source of income.
Short Answer Questions
1. In ___________, Andrew is offered a job by Tom Scott, western division superintendent of the Pennsylvania Railroad, to be his secretary and personal telegrapher.
2. Machines begin taking over production with energy from _____________ independent from windmills and waterwheels.
3. In 1863, his investments pay $45,460 and by 1868, he receives __________ per year for an investment of $817 that he borrows to make.
4. Within _______ years of arriving in America, the Carnegies recoup their fortune through the help of their friends, relatives, and countrymen in America and earn more income that they ever received in Scotland.
5. Success is due to the first president, ________________, and the superintendent of the western division, Tom Scott, who brings Andrew Carnegie into the modern system of train control.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does industry benefit from Carnegie?
2. How is Pittsburgh important at this time?
3. Who is George M. Pullman? How do he and Carnegie become involved in business together?
4. What does Daniel McCallum offer those in management?
5. How do family members and friends help immigrants? How is Carnegie's family helped?
6. Describe the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1865.
7. How does Andrew escape the textile mills?
8. What happens within two years of arriving in America?
9. Give an example of how the size and complexity of a railroad business requires creation of bureaucratic organization, structure, and policy to fit the needs.
10. Why do the Carnegies leave Scotland?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)