|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carnegie relies on what system implemented by Thomson and Scott at the railroad to transfer and adapt it to industry?
(a) The McMillan.
(b) The McAllister.
(c) The McCallum.
(d) The McDonald.
2. Carnegie progresses from rolling rail to rolling structural beams and angles for bridges, skyscrapers, and ________________.
(b) Elevated railroads.
3. They make a deal that is considered what?
(a) Carnegie's least important achievement.
(b) Carnegie's greatest achievement.
(c) A poor decision.
(d) Carnegie's most surprising decisions.
4. Carnegie follows the successful path of building through a depression and lack of customers by ________________.
(a) Increasing costs and decreasing output.
(b) Increasing costs and output.
(c) Driving costs and output down.
(d) Driving costs down and increasing output.
5. At the age of ___________ Carnegie finds a wife for his home, a business successor and considers retirement.
6. Frick's first acquisition is _____________, which is the most modern steel mill and keeps the Carnegie Company at the forefront.
(a) U.S. Steel.
(b) Duquesne Steel.
(d) Factory Steel.
7. By 1892, Carnegie is in ______________ and leaves labor issues to Frick.
8. Andrew needs a strong leader to manage growth after what happens to his brother Tom?
(a) He dies.
(b) He retires.
(c) He becomes ill.
(d) He moves.
9. Carnegie's methods in steel concentrate what?
(a) The first industry in the world.
(b) The first American industry.
(c) The beginnings of pollution problems.
(d) The beginnings of the American steel industry.
10. Rich and poor are impacted when even Tom Scott faces ruin and disgrace from Texas Pacific Railroad default unless what happens?
(a) The economy improves.
(b) A miracle occurs.
(c) His friend Andrew Carnegie endorses the note.
(d) He can sell stock.
11. In __________, Carnegie has the most modern operation.
12. Phipps buys flue-cinder at fifty cents a ton and sells puddle-cinder at ________ per ton to improve Lucy furnace product and save money.
13. Their deal demonstrates the power of what?
14. Carnegie contributes __________ of the partnership total $741,000 in original capital to the firm he names "Carnegie, McCandless and Company" and names the mill "Edgar Thomson Works" (ET) for the first president of Pennsylvania Railroad.
(c) $2.5 million.
15. Americans in the North have how many years of peace and prosperity as they begin to exploit American markets?
Short Answer Questions
1. Along with Shinn, they put together an effective team based on Carnegie's systematic analysis of personnel to provide performance incentives that raise __________ men through ranks to share ownership.
2. Phipps sees possible gains in other operations and encourages Carnegie to hire who?
3. Only how many of the original nine partners remain?
4. Carnegie eliminates the costly fire insurance on his wooden buildings by replacing them with what?
5. When the state legislature creates a limited partnership in ____________, Carnegie, McCandless immediately restructures into the Edgar Thomson Steel Company, Limited.
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)