Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carnegie's methods in steel concentrate what?
(a) The first industry in the world.
(b) The beginnings of the American steel industry.
(c) The first American industry.
(d) The beginnings of pollution problems.
2. Americans in the North have how many years of peace and prosperity as they begin to exploit American markets?
3. In __________, Carnegie has the most modern operation.
4. Phipps sees possible gains in other operations and encourages Carnegie to hire who?
(a) A full-time conservationist.
(b) A full-time biologist.
(c) A full-time chemist.
(d) A full-time physicist.
5. Bank failures destroy personal savings, social safety nets are nonexistent and workers retreat to the family farm or where?
(a) The coasts.
(b) The city.
(c) The mother country.
6. Frick's first acquisition is _____________, which is the most modern steel mill and keeps the Carnegie Company at the forefront.
(a) U.S. Steel.
(b) Factory Steel.
(c) Duquesne Steel.
7. The partners want Frick to exercise power without Carnegie. Why?
(a) He is more trustworthy than Carnegie.
(b) He is more likely to keep wage costs down.
(c) He is easier to manipulate than Carnegie.
(d) He has good ideas for growth in the company.
8. Carnegie organizes a partnership with business associates and colleagues that are confident of his success to do what?
(a) Lower capital.
(b) Raise capital.
(c) Stabilize capital.
(d) Find capital.
9. Productive staff is rewarded and non-productive staff is ___________.
10. Beginning in 1872, Carnegie focuses on the single project of his steel-rail rolling mill that is completed in _________.
11. One of the country's largest banking houses Jay Cooke's collapses, credit structures tumble and _____________ businesses fail in a year.
12. When the state legislature creates a limited partnership in ____________, Carnegie, McCandless immediately restructures into the Edgar Thomson Steel Company, Limited.
13. William Coleman also shares Carnegie's interest and enthusiasm in what?
14. As mills become more efficient, the need for raw material continues with deposits from _______________________.
(a) Alabama, Alaska, and Arizona.
(b) New York, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.
(c) Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.
(d) Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois.
15. Specialized merchants control flow of product at every step, which _____________________.
(a) Slows costs and slows materials flow.
(b) Slows costs and increases materials flow.
(c) Increases costs and slows materials flow.
(d) Increases costs and increases materials flow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie contributes __________ of the partnership total $741,000 in original capital to the firm he names "Carnegie, McCandless and Company" and names the mill "Edgar Thomson Works" (ET) for the first president of Pennsylvania Railroad.
2. The mill site is strategically situated _______________ where the Pennsylvania, Baltimore and Ohio railroad and river transportation system is readily available, nearby the coal fields.
3. Carnegie's labor guidelines and Captain Bill's implementation works well until 1889 when what happens to Bill?
4. Their deal demonstrates the power of what?
5. Cost information enables cost-cutting per unit by __________________________ at the same output level.
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)