|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In __________, Carnegie has the most modern operation.
2. Carnegie leases the iron ore properties from this man. Why?
(a) To make him a partner.
(b) To keep him out of the steel business.
(c) To retire slowly from the industry.
(d) To keep him happy.
3. Carnegie pressures management and Frick resigns again. Is his resignation accepted?
(b) Only later.
(c) Not at first.
4. At thirty, Frick is a millionaire with _______ thousand coke ovens and three thousand acres of land.
5. Frick shares Carnegie's vision and drive but is self-righteous and lacks what?
(a) A sense of humor.
6. Phipps takes Carnegie's cost-cutting seriously by having who analyze flue and puddle cinders?
(a) A physicist.
(b) A biologist.
(c) A conservationist.
(d) A chemist.
7. The process takes longer than expected, but by 1868 production begins, and expansion is planned in what year?
8. When the state legislature creates a limited partnership in ____________, Carnegie, McCandless immediately restructures into the Edgar Thomson Steel Company, Limited.
9. Tom Miller is a _________ man who forms joint ventures with Carnegie in several small investments. They form Freedom Iron Company of Lewiston Pennsylvania in 1861 that Carnegie restructures into Freedom Iron and Steel to retool for the Bessemer process in 1866.
10. Carnegie follows the successful path of building through a depression and lack of customers by ________________.
(a) Increasing costs and decreasing output.
(b) Driving costs and output down.
(c) Increasing costs and output.
(d) Driving costs down and increasing output.
11. The 1893 depression is caused by what?
(a) Manufacturing undercapacity, particularly in the oil industry.
(b) Manufacturing undercapacity, particularly in the steel industry.
(c) Manufacturing overcapacity, particularly in the steel industry.
(d) Manufacturing overcapacity, particularly in the oil industry.
12. When Carnegie decides what furnace is more effective, he orders six more to be built immediately.
(a) A central warm-Air furnace.
(b) A steam or hot-water system.
(c) An open-hearth.
(d) A reverse-cycle system.
13. Americans in the North have how many years of peace and prosperity as they begin to exploit American markets?
14. Carnegie corrects this deficiency by integrating _______________________.
(a) Sun Oil and US Oil.
(b) Pullman and Woodruff.
(c) Pennsylvania Railroad with Pacific Union.
(d) Keystone Bridge and Union Iron.
15. Schwab cuts $500,000 in costs at Homestead by __________________ and replacing skilled labor with machines and unskilled workers.
(a) Cutting 15 percent from wages.
(b) Adding 15 percent to wages.
(c) Cutting 25 percent from wages.
(d) Adding 25 percent to wages.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carnegie progresses from rolling rail to rolling structural beams and angles for bridges, skyscrapers, and ________________.
2. Henry Phipps reviews blast furnace operations where flue-cinders are thrown away. What happens to puddling furnace cinders?
3. The start of ET construction coincides with what?
4. Carnegie is praised by labor leaders and Frick is considered _____________.
5. Who rescues Merritt's Mesabi Range from bankruptcy?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)