|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A second dimension necessary to effect this integration is the implementation of what system?
2. Carnegie's methods in steel concentrate what?
(a) The beginnings of pollution problems.
(b) The first industry in the world.
(c) The beginnings of the American steel industry.
(d) The first American industry.
3. Holley's pre-production estimates and Shinn's voucher system provides Carnegie's Edgar Thomson Works with accurate profitability in its ________ month of operation.
4. Carnegie leases the iron ore properties from this man. Why?
(a) To keep him out of the steel business.
(b) To retire slowly from the industry.
(c) To keep him happy.
(d) To make him a partner.
5. However, by 1881, a competitor Homestead has the most modern equipment, but is plagued by what problems for two years?
6. Carnegie sells _____________ bonds to Junius Morgan in London to complete construction of the Edgar Thomson Works in 1875, and saves 25 percent in costs from the depression.
(b) $4 million.
7. Carnegie is praised by labor leaders and Frick is considered _____________.
(a) "Strange and righteous."
(b) "Haughty and disdainful."
(c) "Carnegie's assistant."
(d) "A hero."
8. Phipps takes Carnegie's cost-cutting seriously by having who analyze flue and puddle cinders?
(a) A chemist.
(b) A biologist.
(c) A physicist.
(d) A conservationist.
9. Carnegie organizes a partnership with business associates and colleagues that are confident of his success to do what?
(a) Raise capital.
(b) Lower capital.
(c) Stabilize capital.
(d) Find capital.
10. Carnegie's insistence on knowing the costs continues for his _______________ years in the steel business.
11. The 1878 Thomas process of lime-lining the heating vessel to eliminate phosphorous is acquired by Carnegie and sold to who two years later?
(a) The Mellon Association.
(b) The Bessemer Association.
(c) The John D. Rockefeller Association.
(d) The Roosevelt Association.
12. Schwab cuts $500,000 in costs at Homestead by __________________ and replacing skilled labor with machines and unskilled workers.
(a) Cutting 15 percent from wages.
(b) Cutting 25 percent from wages.
(c) Adding 25 percent to wages.
(d) Adding 15 percent to wages.
13. Carnegie contributes __________ of the partnership total $741,000 in original capital to the firm he names "Carnegie, McCandless and Company" and names the mill "Edgar Thomson Works" (ET) for the first president of Pennsylvania Railroad.
(c) $2.5 million.
14. Frick shares Carnegie's vision and drive but is self-righteous and lacks what?
(a) A sense of humor.
15. Americans in the North have how many years of peace and prosperity as they begin to exploit American markets?
Short Answer Questions
1. He installs a blast furnace called________ in 1872 to produce 13.361 tons initially and eventually over 100,000 tons annually by maximizing output.
2. Beginning in 1872, Carnegie focuses on the single project of his steel-rail rolling mill that is completed in _________.
3. At thirty, Frick is a millionaire with _______ thousand coke ovens and three thousand acres of land.
4. Carnegie hires the expert ____________ to put the Bessemer program in place and function as its works superintendent.
5. The industrial economy is crippled with some __________________ firms failing over six years.
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)