|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Scot Andrew Carnegie became what?
(a) The most powerful man in the world.
(b) The richest man in the world.
(c) The laziest man in the world.
(d) The scariest man in the world.
2. Thirteen year-old Andrew sees his father fail while admiring whose determination to rise above it?
(a) His aunt's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His uncle's.
(d) His brother's.
3. Andrew's opportunity to escape the coal and oil of textile mills comes through _________ asking him to become a messenger boy with a telegraph company in Pittsburgh.
(a) His Uncle Heathe.
(b) His Uncle Henry.
(c) His Uncle Harold.
(d) His Uncle Hogan.
4. Carnegie becomes an expert in Pittsburgh's _____________ business.
5. A typical pattern in the ____________ century is that a community builds up around a few pioneers who leave their homeland and then encourage friends and relatives to join them.
6. It is _______________ private business firm in the world and is called "the standard railroad of the world."
(a) The largest.
(b) One of the largest.
(c) One of the smallest.
(d) The smallest.
7. Who is the cornerstone of Carnegie's fortune, followed in 1861 by Columbia Oil?
(b) Pennsylvania Railroad.
8. Carnegie and his triumvirate get a franchise from Pennsylvania Railroad with the benefits of existing poles and franchising from Trenton through to what?
(a) The Missouri state line.
(b) The Ohio state line.
(c) The Illinois state line.
(d) The Indiana state line.
9. Business transactions at the time take place over what type of communication?
10. Carnegie promotes expanding with other Pennsylvania-controlled franchises through Scott and assures construction in his contracting business by bartering Pacific stock for construction costs with ___________ exchange rates.
(a) 3 and 4 to one.
(b) 3 and 5 to one.
(c) 5 and 7 to one.
(d) 2 and 4 to one.
11. Previously Margaret Carnegie's sisters, Annie Aitken and Kitty Hogan immigrate in __________, and write of good and bad times there.
12. Carnegie buys his stock in Pullman selling shares in Central to other stockholders by not using what?
(a) The money of others.
(b) His connections.
(d) Any of his own money.
13. Andrew begins to see the railroad industry as an opportunity to regain what?
(a) The pride he thinks the Carnegies lost by emigrating.
(b) The money his family has lost.
(c) His sense of self.
(d) His understanding of business.
14. When dividend payments stop, Carnegie plans a ________ exit to maximize Pacific's price by speculation that lets the triumvirate cash out and leave the remaining Pacific stockholders to drown.
15. Margaret Carnegie's sister precedes her move to America and Annie Aitken provides them what?
(a) Low-rent housing.
(b) Rent-free housing.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Carnegie form Columbia Oil Company?
2. This craft has been practiced by half its 11,000 people since when?
3. By the age of __________ Carnegie manages a complex, multi-unit industrial enterprise and capitalizes on knowing the value of money based on what it can earn.
4. The business is _______________ with conductors and station agents collecting millions in small coin revenue.
5. Within _______ years of arriving in America, the Carnegies recoup their fortune through the help of their friends, relatives, and countrymen in America and earn more income that they ever received in Scotland.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)