|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Carnegie and his triumvirate get a franchise from Pennsylvania Railroad with the benefits of existing poles and franchising from Trenton through to what?
(a) The Illinois state line.
(b) The Indiana state line.
(c) The Missouri state line.
(d) The Ohio state line.
2. In ___________, Andrew is offered a job by Tom Scott, western division superintendent of the Pennsylvania Railroad, to be his secretary and personal telegrapher.
3. When his father dies in 1855, Andrew calls him what?
(a) An embarrassment.
(b) A man not of the world.
(c) A man of the world.
(d) A loser.
4. Carnegie's first installment on his one-eighth interest in Woodruff is $217.50 borrowed from the bank. The balance is paid by dividends in the venture's ________ year.
5. James L. Shaw of the Pacific and Atlantic Telegraph Company offers to buy how many shares of Keystone at three times its value, or $150,000?
(a) One million.
(b) One hundred thousand.
(c) Ten thousand.
(d) One thousand.
6. What demand adequate cash flow and net income for operating expenses and a dividend sufficient to maintain and attract capital to grow?
(a) Sales skills.
(b) Organizational skills.
(c) Railroad technology skills.
(d) Railroad management skills.
7. Railroads need huge amounts of what to construct track and more as they expand?
(d) Technological understanding.
8. Who is the cornerstone of Carnegie's fortune, followed in 1861 by Columbia Oil?
(d) Pennsylvania Railroad.
9. Carnegie rises from bobbin boy at __________ per week in 1850 to railroad superintendent at $2,400 per year in 1865.
10. Carnegie buys his stock in Pullman selling shares in Central to other stockholders by not using what?
(a) The money of others.
(c) Any of his own money.
(d) His connections.
11. By ________, the Pennsylvania Railroad runs 3,500 miles of track with 30,000 employees and $61 million invested.
12. Erie and Pennsylvania Railroads each have ________ thousand employees trained into a disciplined workforce.
13. Andrew goes to night school in bookkeeping at what age?
14. This old craft is destroyed in _______ years, along with Will Carnegie's job and his town's main source of income.
15. Railroads link Pittsburgh to the Atlantic coast and eventually to the Pacific coast, with the _______________ the best of them all.
(a) Union Pacific.
(b) CSX Corporation.
(c) Pennsylvania Railroad.
(d) BNSF Railway Company.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1863, his investments pay $45,460 and by 1868, he receives __________ per year for an investment of $817 that he borrows to make.
2. Carnegie works ___________ years at the Pennsylvania Railroad while he develops managerial skill, economic principles and personal relationships to become a successful manager, capitalist and entrepreneur.
3. Carnegie promotes expanding with other Pennsylvania-controlled franchises through Scott and assures construction in his contracting business by bartering Pacific stock for construction costs with ___________ exchange rates.
4. Scot Andrew Carnegie became what?
5. Carnegie meets John Piper in 1856 in order to build _______ bridges, instead of wooden bridges that can be set afire from locomotive sparks and are not cost-effective beyond a certain span and load factor.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)