|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Machines begin taking over production with energy from _____________ independent from windmills and waterwheels.
(a) Wood-burning steam boilers.
(b) Electric steam boilers.
(c) Oil-burning steam boilers.
(d) Coal-fired steam boilers.
2. Andrew's job delivering telegraph messages puts him in touch with whom?
(a) Business producers on their way to national prominence.
(b) People of varying races.
(c) Many irate individuals.
(d) The President of the United States.
3. Although Andrew dislikes the tedium, smells and hours, he works in another textile mill until what?
(a) He gets a college scholarship.
(b) He gets promoted to a management position.
(c) He gets injured.
(d) He gets an office opportunity in accounting.
4. In _________, the transcontinental Union Pacific seeks bids from sleeping car companies for its expansion.
5. The Carnegies stay in their homeland as long as they can until conditions become intolerable in what town?
6. Carnegie sells Central patents for ____________ to Pullman and they exchange shares for no money to form the new company.
7. Carnegie meets John Piper in 1856 in order to build _______ bridges, instead of wooden bridges that can be set afire from locomotive sparks and are not cost-effective beyond a certain span and load factor.
8. Will is unable to catch on to new opportunities and reverts back to weaving and selling his wares on the street, which does what?
(a) Brings him more work than when he had his factory job.
(b) Provides a significant income for his family.
(c) Builds his self-confidence and brings pride to his family.
(d) Destroys his self-confidence and shames his family.
9. Scot Andrew Carnegie became what?
(a) The richest man in the world.
(b) The most powerful man in the world.
(c) The scariest man in the world.
(d) The laziest man in the world.
10. Andrew's opportunity to escape the coal and oil of textile mills comes through _________ asking him to become a messenger boy with a telegraph company in Pittsburgh.
(a) His Uncle Harold.
(b) His Uncle Henry.
(c) His Uncle Hogan.
(d) His Uncle Heathe.
11. Who is Cuban Roberto Goizuetta?
(a) The deceased chairman of Applebee's.
(b) The deceased chairman of Coca-Cola.
(c) The deceased CEO of Intel.
(d) The deceased president of Liz Claiborne.
12. Carnegie's first dividend check for ________ opens a whole new world of receiving cash from capital.
13. Andrew Carnegie becomes known as the city's best _____________.
14. Success is due to the first president, ________________, and the superintendent of the western division, Tom Scott, who brings Andrew Carnegie into the modern system of train control.
(a) J. Edgar Johnson.
(b) J. Edgar Hoover.
(c) J. Edgar Thomson.
(d) J. Edgar Smith.
15. Whose pioneering skills in management are codified in his "Book of Rules and the Employees' Timetable?"
(a) Duane McMahon's.
(b) David McClure's.
(c) Darrel McAllister's.
(d) Daniel McCallum's.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the nineteenth century American railroads are financed by bonds with over ____ percent of their earnings used to pay bond interest.
2. Scott sends Carnegie off to where as a bond salesman with good wishes, a bag of bonds and letters of reference for the St. Louis Bridge Company?
3. In 1856, Scott advises him to buy what company as his first stock investment?
4. The triumvirate agrees to sell at once for what reason?
5. Carnegie's ideas about machines, individual success and the American political system contribute to the development and growth of what?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)