|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why should people try not to turn their job into an identity?
2. Why do people feel very free when volunteering?
3. What should people do about unusual extra expenses, such as medical bills or birthday parties?
4. What is Step 6?
5. The wall chart should accommodate data for how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do peoples' words cause them to identify themselves personally with their jobs? Why is this a problem?
2. Why are most people happier when their jobs are not related to their passions?
3. What is the difference between the word "frugal" and the Spanish word "aprovechar?" Which do the authors prefer?
4. What are the advantages of predicting when the crossover point will occur?
5. What are 1,000,001 SURE WAYS TO SAVE MONEY?
6. Why is it unwise to seek employment in an area involving a person's passion?
7. What span of time should the wall chart cover? Why?
8. What do many people try to get from other jobs, other than a paycheck?
9. Describe the process of creating the wall chart.
10. Why do volunteers often feel more fulfilled than ever before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The authors express displeasure with each of the following concepts: business as usual; over-consumption; keeping up with neighbors; the rat race; and clutter. Choose one concept and analyze why the item causes problems for individuals, for society, and for the planet.
Essay Topic 2
What is the authors' view of work vs. personal identity? How can subtle shifts in language and attitude change a person's perspective, regarding what constitutes work? Why should security, tradition, enjoyment, duty, prestige, status, power, or social opportunities be sought after away from a person's work environment?
Essay Topic 3
Expand upon the authors' comparison between budgeting and dieting. Why are honest record-keeping and frugality better tools for managing finances than a budget? What terms would parallel record keeping and frugality, in terms of managing food intake?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)