|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Fascist?
2. After his heavy work stacking wood, when Burris talks with Frazier at dinner about communal societies that have failed, what is Frazier's first response?
3. What is ironic about Frazier's stated opposition to political action?
4. As Burris smokes in the garden, what thought occurs to him about the impact of his visit to Walden Two?
5. How is failure treated at Walden Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Frazier's explanation on the roof, what is the "Good Life"?
2. After hearing extensive reports from Frazier about the members of Walden Two, what does Burris decide to do?
3. After they have heard about education and child-rearing, what views about family life does Frazier share with the visitors?
4. When Burris and Frazier are alone after rain destroys the group's plan of an afternoon walk, of what does Burris accuse Frazier, and why?
5. When Castle and Frazier agree that force or threat of force can control behavior, what additions does Frazier make to the discussion?
6. What is the essence of the conflict between Castle and Frazier about democracy?
7. Why is Frazier's response to Castle's question about government and politics ironic?
8. What is Frazier's vision for Walden Two?
9. When the group sits down to lunch and Castle questions Frazier about government and politics, how does Frazier respond?
10. When Frazier, Burris, and Castle take a walk outside and see a group arriving, what information is given about the growth of the community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the advantages and disadvantages of including Walden Two in a current high school literature syllabus?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the novel, the reader is no wiser as to whether Steve will return to Walden Two. Discuss the forces operating in Steve's conflict and discuss whether the author's failure to resolve this conflict is a strength or weakness in the story line.
Essay Topic 3
An overriding fact about Walden Two is that its members are a self-selected group because they have all chosen to be there. How does this limit the idea of replicating the principles and practices of the community in the wider society?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)