|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the dinner at which Burris and Frazier discuss failed communal societies, where do they hear from Frazier about the "Good Life"?
2. What literary device is evident in the underlying contradiction between Frazier's comments on power and his own involvement in leading Walden Two?
3. Later in the evening after Burris' investigation, who do Burris, Frazier, and Castle observe?
4. According to Frazier, how does Walden Two's second generation of members differ from its first?
5. At the group's Sunday breakfast, how does Barbara's behavior affect Frazier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the motives of Steve and Barbara suggest about the type of persons that Walden Two might attract?
2. When Burris and Frazier are alone after rain destroys the group's plan of an afternoon walk, of what does Burris accuse Frazier, and why?
3. Although Frazier disagrees, does Castle imply that there is indoctrination of young people at Walden Two?
4. What is Frazier's vision for Walden Two?
5. What is Frazier's response when Castle questions his belief in democracy?
6. How does Castle seek to prove his point about personal freedom, and with what result?
7. What conflicting views about life at Walden Two surface for Rogers and Barbara after they have been exposed to some of the practices like education and family life?
8. What is the essence of the conflict between Castle and Frazier about democracy?
9. How does Frazier justify the emphasis on control at Walden Two?
10. How does Walden Two relate to government in the wider society, and what has the method accomplished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of the adversarial relationship between Castle and Frazier, and comment on the role played by this relationship in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail, the evolution of Burris' ideas about Frazier and Walden Two. Comment on whether his decision to return to Walden Two is a credible end to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the view that Walden Two is a vehicle through which Skinner destroys rather than vindicates the validity of alternative or Utopian communities.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)