|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the part of the debate when they speak about democracy, what weaknesses of this system does Frazier point out?
2. What do the visitors who want to join Walden Two have to pass?
3. What literary device is evident in the underlying contradiction between Frazier's comments on power and his own involvement in leading Walden Two?
4. After his heavy work stacking wood, when Burris talks with Frazier at dinner about communal societies that have failed, what is Frazier's first response?
5. What is a Fascist?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the group sits down to lunch and Castle questions Frazier about government and politics, how does Frazier respond?
2. How does Walden Two relate to government in the wider society, and what has the method accomplished?
3. As he seeks verification of the happiness of Walden Two's members, what groups does Burris encounter and what does he conclude?
4. How do the views of Castle and Frazier about freedom conflict?
5. What is Frazier's vision for Walden Two?
6. How does the conversation that Burris has with a housewife, on his way back to his room from his investigations, confirm his conclusions about Walden Two's members?
7. According to Frazier's explanation on the roof, what is the "Good Life"?
8. Why are Steve and Mary attracted to joining Walden Two?
9. After hearing extensive reports from Frazier about the members of Walden Two, what does Burris decide to do?
10. What is Frazier's response when Castle questions his belief in democracy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An overriding fact about Walden Two is that its members are a self-selected group because they have all chosen to be there. How does this limit the idea of replicating the principles and practices of the community in the wider society?
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed critique of Walden Two's system of labor credits and its method of determining who goes into different careers.
Essay Topic 3
Walden Two's ideas about education are directly related to Skinner's dissatisfaction with the educational practices of his day. How do the principles and practices in Walden Two's educational system address real weaknesses in modern education?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)