|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first significant activity at Walden Two that Frazier points out to the visitors on the first day of their visit?
2. What factors determine the most common form of entertainment at Walden Two?
3. Whose ideas for a perfect society are reflected in the structure and operations of Walden Two?
4. What is the philosophy of the women as described by Mrs. Meyerson after Burris makes his comment?
5. After they visit the school, Frazier discusses the advantages of the education system with the visitors. To what three features does Frazier attribute the system's efficiency?
Short Essay Questions
1. After breakfast, what do the visitors observe that involves children and babies?
2. What is the result of the discussion about Frazier and the action that Burris takes?
3. What does the conversation about jealousy give Frazier the opportunity to do, and how do Barbara and Castle respond?
4. Why have Steve and Rogers come to visit Burris?
5. As Castle observes the nursery, what is he concerned about and how is his concern addressed?
6. What evidence is there at Walden Two regarding Frazier's idea of a flourishing artistic environment?
7. Why is Frazier responsive to requests for visits from the "failed" outside world to his new society?
8. What advertising practices does Walden Two observe?
9. What is the narrative perspective of the novel, and why does the author choose it?
10. What are the deficiencies of Walden Two's system of government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the advantages and disadvantages of including Walden Two in a current high school literature syllabus?
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes in Walden Two is individual freedom versus social engineering and behavior control. Discuss in detail the instances in which this theme is revealed in the play, and comment on the extent to which it reflects a major concern in today's mainstream society.
Essay Topic 3
Walden Two was first published in 1948 and revised for a 1967 publication. What is the relevance of the ideas and theories espoused in the novel, relevant to modern life?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)