|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the discussion about socializing children to develop ethics, what is the first lesson that Frazier describes?
2. After observing the behavior of children left behind by those going on a picnic, how do Castle and Barbara respond to Frazier's explanations about emotional expression?
3. How do Walden Two's communication practices differ from the outside world?
4. Which of the following terms best describes the approach to education of older children at Walden Two?
5. What is the most advanced exercise for children to learn ethics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Frazier responsive to requests for visits from the "failed" outside world to his new society?
2. What three examples does Frazier give of methods used to teach children ethical behavior?
3. What explanations does Mrs. Nash give the visitors about bringing up babies at Walden Two?
4. After a tour of the dairy, what two traditions of Walden Two do the visitors observe?
5. What does the conversation about jealousy give Frazier the opportunity to do, and how do Barbara and Castle respond?
6. What are some of the feelings about his work that Burris has while being visited by the two men?
7. How does Burris convey his interest in the ideas of Steve and Rogers?
8. What are the major features of the Walden Two approach to education?
9. What is the philosophy of Walden Two about leisure?
10. What is the result of the discussion about Frazier and the action that Burris takes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select one of the scenes in which the author involves Castle, Burris, and Frazier in a heated argument. Discuss in detail the contribution made by the selected scene to action, suspense, tension, and conflict or its resolution in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The novel takes place almost exclusively in one setting - the confines of Walden Two. What are the limitations caused by this single setting, and what techniques does the writer use to overcome such limitations?
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed critique of Walden Two's system of labor credits and its method of determining who goes into different careers.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)