|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subjects do the older children have to study in school?
2. Why is Mrs. Nash confused when Castle asks about jealousy as he observes some children leaving from a picnic?
3. As the group observes some children leaving for a picnic, what answer does Castle receive when he asks about jealousy among those left behind?
4. What is the profession of Burris?
5. What is the name of the passageway where the visitors have their tea on their first day at Walden Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What evidence is there at Walden Two regarding Frazier's idea of a flourishing artistic environment?
2. What aspects of Walden Two's practices do the visitors observe at dinner?
3. As the novel begins, how does Rogers explain to Burris the need that he and Steve are experiencing?
4. Why does the author expand the group that will visit Walden Two?
5. What three examples does Frazier give of methods used to teach children ethical behavior?
6. After the visit to the schools, what do the visitors discover about child-bearing practices at Walden Two and the advantages of the approach used?
7. What explanations does Mrs. Nash give the visitors about bringing up babies at Walden Two?
8. Why is Frazier responsive to requests for visits from the "failed" outside world to his new society?
9. What are the major features of the Walden Two approach to education?
10. As Castle observes the nursery, what is he concerned about and how is his concern addressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel takes place almost exclusively in one setting - the confines of Walden Two. What are the limitations caused by this single setting, and what techniques does the writer use to overcome such limitations?
Essay Topic 2
Walden Two's ideas about education are directly related to Skinner's dissatisfaction with the educational practices of his day. How do the principles and practices in Walden Two's educational system address real weaknesses in modern education?
Essay Topic 3
Walden Two was first published in 1948 and revised for a 1967 publication. What is the relevance of the ideas and theories espoused in the novel, relevant to modern life?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)