|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Frazier explains the operations of Walden Two to the visitors, what technique does the author use to support the ideas behind Walden Two's operations?
2. What is the attitude of Walden Two towards the importance of mother love in the lives of babies?
3. What assumption does Walden Two make about how to build resistance in babies?
4. Where are babies kept in the early stages of life at Walden Two?
5. How does Frazier respond to Castle's expression of horror at the practices with the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author humanize Frazier in the description of the birthday party?
2. After the visit to the schools, what do the visitors discover about child-bearing practices at Walden Two and the advantages of the approach used?
3. Why is Frazier's response to Castle's question about government and politics ironic?
4. What is castle's response when he observes the incident with the sheep?
5. On the last day of the visit when Frazier takes Burris to observe Frazier as he works, what transpires between the men?
6. While on the roof, how does Frazier counter Castle's claim that life at Walden Two offers no challenge and lacks moral law?
7. How does Castle seek to prove his point about personal freedom, and with what result?
8. Why is Frazier responsive to requests for visits from the "failed" outside world to his new society?
9. Why are Steve and Mary attracted to joining Walden Two?
10. What conflicting views about life at Walden Two surface for Rogers and Barbara after they have been exposed to some of the practices like education and family life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Walden Two's ideas about education are directly related to Skinner's dissatisfaction with the educational practices of his day. How do the principles and practices in Walden Two's educational system address real weaknesses in modern education?
Essay Topic 2
Select one of the scenes in which the author involves Castle, Burris, and Frazier in a heated argument. Discuss in detail the contribution made by the selected scene to action, suspense, tension, and conflict or its resolution in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What are the advantages and disadvantages of including Walden Two in a current high school literature syllabus?
This section contains 1,580 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)