|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are new leaders and managers chosen at Walden Two?
2. What evidence does Frazier cite to support his argument about the impact of leisure on Walden Two?
3. Apart from artwork in the gallery, what other type of artistic activity is referred to in the first part of the visitors' tour of Walden Two?
4. As Frazier explains the operations of Walden Two to the visitors, what technique does the author use to support the ideas behind Walden Two's operations?
5. As the group observes the child's birthday celebration, how does the author add a human touch to the portrayal of Frazier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the main features of government and administration at Walden Two.
2. How does Burris convey his interest in the ideas of Steve and Rogers?
3. After a tour of the dairy, what two traditions of Walden Two do the visitors observe?
4. After the visit to the schools, what do the visitors discover about child-bearing practices at Walden Two and the advantages of the approach used?
5. What is the narrative perspective of the novel, and why does the author choose it?
6. Why is Frazier responsive to requests for visits from the "failed" outside world to his new society?
7. What aspects of Walden Two's practices do the visitors observe at dinner?
8. What is the philosophy of Walden Two about leisure?
9. What are the major features of the Walden Two approach to education?
10. What does the conversation about jealousy give Frazier the opportunity to do, and how do Barbara and Castle respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burris, Frazier, and Castle are the major players in the story but there are important minor characters. Discuss the role of any three minor characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write a detailed critique of Walden Two's system of labor credits and its method of determining who goes into different careers.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, the reader is no wiser as to whether Steve will return to Walden Two. Discuss the forces operating in Steve's conflict and discuss whether the author's failure to resolve this conflict is a strength or weakness in the story line.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)