|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the group observes some children leaving for a picnic, what answer does Castle receive when he asks about jealousy among those left behind?
2. How does Frazier seek to integrate the visitors with the work system at Walden Two?
3. Why have Rogers and Jamnik come to visit Burris at the beginning of the novel?
4. Where are babies kept in the early stages of life at Walden Two?
5. What subjects do the older children have to study in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advertising practices does Walden Two observe?
2. What are some of the feelings about his work that Burris has while being visited by the two men?
3. What evidence is there at Walden Two regarding Frazier's idea of a flourishing artistic environment?
4. What is the significance of the sheep that Frazier points out to the group early in their visit?
5. After breakfast, what do the visitors observe that involves children and babies?
6. According to Frazier, what are the benefits of the system for organizing work?
7. After the visit to the schools, what do the visitors discover about child-bearing practices at Walden Two and the advantages of the approach used?
8. Why does the author expand the group that will visit Walden Two?
9. As the visit progresses to the next morning, what tensions emerge among the visitors themselves?
10. What is the narrative perspective of the novel, and why does the author choose it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed critique of Walden Two's system of labor credits and its method of determining who goes into different careers.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes in Walden Two is individual freedom versus social engineering and behavior control. Discuss in detail the instances in which this theme is revealed in the play, and comment on the extent to which it reflects a major concern in today's mainstream society.
Essay Topic 3
Burris, Frazier, and Castle are the major players in the story but there are important minor characters. Discuss the role of any three minor characters in the novel.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)