|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are all members of Walden Two required to do physical labor?
2. According to Frazier's explanation, what is one of the most important expected outcomes of Walden Two's approach to organizing work?
3. What is the significance of the name of the passageway where the visitors first have tea?
4. What do babies sleep on in Walden Two?
5. Which of the following terms best describes some of the weaknesses that Frazier attributes to the traditional educational system?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the visit progresses to the next morning, what tensions emerge among the visitors themselves?
2. When the visitors observe some children going off on a picnic and raise questions about jealousy, what explanations do they receive?
3. What kind of celebration does the group observe after tea on the first day of the visit?
4. What aspects of Walden Two's practices do the visitors observe at dinner?
5. As the novel begins, how does Rogers explain to Burris the need that he and Steve are experiencing?
6. After a tour of the dairy, what two traditions of Walden Two do the visitors observe?
7. What are the deficiencies of Walden Two's system of government?
8. What is the philosophy of Walden Two about leisure?
9. What are the major features of the Walden Two approach to education?
10. Why have Steve and Rogers come to visit Burris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the evolution of the adversarial relationship between Castle and Frazier, and comment on the role played by this relationship in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Today's audiences have been fed a steady diet of science fiction through cinema, television, and theater. Discuss the pros and cons of the observation that this diet has reduced the impact of "Walden Two" as an example of this genre.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, the reader is no wiser as to whether Steve will return to Walden Two. Discuss the forces operating in Steve's conflict and discuss whether the author's failure to resolve this conflict is a strength or weakness in the story line.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)