|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mary exhibits a kind of embroidery stitch to some women, they seem grateful but do not communicate this to her. What is the reason for this?
(a) Saying thanks is not encouraged because it elevates one person above another, which Walden Two's code does not permit.
(b) Saying thanks is not necessary because all work is required.
(c) Saying thanks is not necessary because it suggests obligation.
(d) Saying thanks is not necessary because everyone is doing his / her duty.
2. During their first discussion, what does Burris decide to do after the men have spoken about Frazier?
(a) To call Frazier.
(b) To write to Frazier.
(c) To give Rogers a note of introduction to Frazier.
(d) To visit Frazier.
3. As the visitors take their first walk around Walden Two, what does Frazier explain to the visitors about the buildings?
(a) They prevent the chilrden from going outside.
(b) They are cheaper to maintain.
(c) They protect them from bad weather because they are insulated.
(d) They are communal buildings made of rammed earth with covered passages, and they protect them from extreme weather.
4. What is the figure of speech contained in the name of the passageway where the visitors first have tea?
5. What subjects do the older children have to study in school?
(a) English, Math, and Science.
(b) English, Music, Math, and Science.
(c) Math, Engineering, and Science.
(d) Whatever interests them.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the group observes the child's birthday celebration, how does the author add a human touch to the portrayal of Frazier?
2. What further explanation does Frazier give about Walden Two's philosophy regarding emotional expression?
3. Where are babies kept in the early stages of life at Walden Two?
4. Why are all members of Walden Two required to do physical labor?
5. What is the most advanced exercise for children to learn ethics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the sheep that Frazier points out to the group early in their visit?
2. What are the deficiencies of Walden Two's system of government?
3. How does Burris convey his interest in the ideas of Steve and Rogers?
4. After breakfast, what do the visitors observe that involves children and babies?
5. Summarize the main features of government and administration at Walden Two.
6. What aspects of Walden Two's practices do the visitors observe at dinner?
7. What advertising practices does Walden Two observe?
8. As the novel begins, how does Rogers explain to Burris the need that he and Steve are experiencing?
9. As Castle observes the nursery, what is he concerned about and how is his concern addressed?
10. When the visitors observe some children going off on a picnic and raise questions about jealousy, what explanations do they receive?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)