|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After observing the behavior of children left behind by those going on a picnic, how do Castle and Barbara respond to Frazier's explanations about emotional expression?
(a) They object.
(b) They are confused.
(c) They believe it is excellent training.
(d) They decide to leave Walden Two immediately.
2. What event does Burris find listed on a bulletin board?
(a) A dance.
(b) A performance of Bach's Mass in B Minor.
(c) An auction.
(d) A talent show.
3. At the beginning of the novel, where have Rogers and Jamnik been before their visit to Burris?
(a) In the army fighting World War II.
(b) Visiting foreign countries.
(c) Studying politics at a university.
(d) Visiting Walden Two.
4. After the visitors complete their first session of window-cleaning, how does Frazier clarify the view that Walden Two is about "getting back to a simpler time"?
(a) The objective is to increase physical work and improve health.
(b) He explains that the objective is to reduce hard labor, use technology, and create leisure.
(c) The objective is to increase physical and spiritual activity.
(d) The objective is to reduce work and improve relationships.
5. Which of the following features are included in the systems of work and leadership outlined by Frazier in his description of Walden Two?
(a) Use of expertise, shared work, and experimentation.
(b) Shared work and experimentation.
(c) Scientific management and management of resources.
(d) Use of experiments.
Short Answer Questions
1. During their first discussion, what does Burris decide to do after the men have spoken about Frazier?
2. Who is the narrator of Walden Two?
3. How does Frazier seek to integrate the visitors with the work system at Walden Two?
4. As the group observes some children leaving for a picnic, what answer does Castle receive when he asks about jealousy among those left behind?
5. What is the philosophy of the women as described by Mrs. Meyerson after Burris makes his comment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the philosophy of Walden Two about leisure?
2. What are the major features of the Walden Two approach to education?
3. As Castle observes the nursery, what is he concerned about and how is his concern addressed?
4. As the visit progresses to the next morning, what tensions emerge among the visitors themselves?
5. What are the deficiencies of Walden Two's system of government?
6. How does the author humanize Frazier in the description of the birthday party?
7. What is the narrative perspective of the novel, and why does the author choose it?
8. Why have Steve and Rogers come to visit Burris?
9. How does Burris convey his interest in the ideas of Steve and Rogers?
10. According to Frazier, what are the benefits of the system for organizing work?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)