|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the attitude of Walden Two towards the importance of mother love in the lives of babies?
(a) It is not a necessity.
(b) They get it from daily visits with their mothers.
(c) They get it by being isolated from everyone except their mothers.
(d) They get it from the entire community.
2. What is the philosophy of the women as described by Mrs. Meyerson after Burris makes his comment?
(a) They place no emphasis on looking good.
(b) They are avid followers of modern fashion.
(c) They dress to disguise their attractiveness.
(d) They dress to flatter themselves but do not follow fashion.
3. What evidence does Frazier cite to support his argument about the impact of leisure on Walden Two?
(a) A successful school of performing arts.
(b) A strong spiritual culture.
(c) A burgeoning music community with composers and performers.
(d) A lively group of young artists.
4. Why does Mrs. Meyerson leave the group during their first visit?
(a) To report for work.
(b) She does not like one of the visiting group.
(c) To attend a special function for her daughter.
(d) To get away from Frazier.
5. After the visitors complete their first session of window-cleaning, how does Frazier clarify the view that Walden Two is about "getting back to a simpler time"?
(a) He explains that the objective is to reduce hard labor, use technology, and create leisure.
(b) The objective is to reduce work and improve relationships.
(c) The objective is to increase physical work and improve health.
(d) The objective is to increase physical and spiritual activity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Burris?
2. Why does the name of Walden Two contain the word Two?
3. Why does Frazier invite the men to visit Walden Two?
4. As the group observes some children leaving for a picnic, what answer does Castle receive when he asks about jealousy among those left behind?
5. How does the group of visitors manage the first work assignment of window-cleaning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of the discussion about Frazier and the action that Burris takes?
2. What is the philosophy of Walden Two about leisure?
3. Why is Frazier responsive to requests for visits from the "failed" outside world to his new society?
4. What are some of the feelings about his work that Burris has while being visited by the two men?
5. How does Burris convey his interest in the ideas of Steve and Rogers?
6. Why does the author expand the group that will visit Walden Two?
7. What three examples does Frazier give of methods used to teach children ethical behavior?
8. What aspects of Walden Two's practices do the visitors observe at dinner?
9. What is the narrative perspective of the novel, and why does the author choose it?
10. Summarize the main features of government and administration at Walden Two.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)