|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else is invited to join the three men as they plan their visit to Walden Two?
(a) Barbara Macklin, Mary Grove, and Augustine Castle.
(b) Augusta and Barbara.
(c) Castle and Mackling.
(d) Barbara and Mackie.
2. What activities does Frazier plan for the group after breakfast on the morning after their leisure activities?
(a) They will work and then visit churches.
(b) They will have a debate about Walden Two and then do their chores.
(c) They will visit the schools and earn labor credits.
(d) They will visit factories and do their work there.
3. Based on Frazier's description of the system, which of the following statements best describes a weakness in the way leaders are chosen at Walden Two?
(a) It has no mechanism for participation of workers.
(b) It places too much power in the hands of a few persons.
(c) It places too much power in the hands of one person.
(d) It assumes that the motives and skills of the decision-makers are at the apppropriate level.
4. After the visitors complete their first session of window-cleaning, how does Frazier clarify the view that Walden Two is about "getting back to a simpler time"?
(a) The objective is to increase physical work and improve health.
(b) He explains that the objective is to reduce hard labor, use technology, and create leisure.
(c) The objective is to reduce work and improve relationships.
(d) The objective is to increase physical and spiritual activity.
5. How are new leaders and managers chosen at Walden Two?
(a) Frazier appoints a selection board each year.
(b) Frazier selects the high-level leaders and they choose managers.
(c) The members of the highest leadership group choose their successors, and managers work up to their positions.
(d) The Community Action Board chooses new leaders and managers.
6. What is the highest level of community leadership at Walden Two?
(a) The Management Board.
(b) The Chief of the Community, who is Frazier.
(c) The Board of Planners.
(d) The Community Action Board.
7. What do the visitors learn about Walden Two's method of keeping babies healthy?
(a) Babies are inoculated against illness in their first year.
(b) Babies are only fed organic food in the first year.
(c) To prevent illness, babies have limited exposure to the outside world in the first year.
(d) Babies are only fed breast milk in the first year.
8. As the visitors take their first walk around Walden Two, what does Frazier explain to the visitors about the buildings?
(a) They are communal buildings made of rammed earth with covered passages, and they protect them from extreme weather.
(b) They are cheaper to maintain.
(c) They prevent the chilrden from going outside.
(d) They protect them from bad weather because they are insulated.
9. What factors determine the most common form of entertainment at Walden Two?
(a) Cost, transportation, and the amount of trouble involved.
(b) Talent and time.
(c) The members of the community vote on what they want to do.
(d) Cost and time to organize it.
10. What is the impact on Burris when he participates in his chosen form of entertainment?
(a) He agrees with Frazier's philosophy.
(b) He believes Fraizer's ideas are unrealistic.
(c) He is not convinced that Walden Two has the potential for a Golden Age.
(d) He is overcome with the idea of a Golden Age.
11. Apart from artwork in the gallery, what other type of artistic activity is referred to in the first part of the visitors' tour of Walden Two?
(a) Musical performances.
12. Whose ideas for a perfect society are reflected in the structure and operations of Walden Two?
(a) Ideas of university professors.
(b) Ideas of the communist leaders.
(c) Ideas of the author, B.F. Skinner.
(d) Ideas of democratic leaders.
13. Why does Mrs. Meyerson leave the group during their first visit?
(a) To get away from Frazier.
(b) To attend a special function for her daughter.
(c) She does not like one of the visiting group.
(d) To report for work.
14. Who is in charge of the nursery visited by the group?
(a) Mrs. Meyerson.
(b) Mrs. Nash.
(c) Mrs. Frazier.
(d) Mrs. Rogers.
15. After Burris selects what he wants to do from the bulletin board, what do Mary and Steve decide to do instead?
(a) They go to the theater.
(b) They go to a movie.
(c) They go to a bowling alley.
(d) They go to a dance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the group of visitors manage the first work assignment of window-cleaning?
2. What event does Burris find listed on a bulletin board?
3. What is the first significant activity at Walden Two that Frazier points out to the visitors on the first day of their visit?
4. What is the profession of Burris?
5. Who is the first member of Walden Two that Frazier allows the group to meet?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)