|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 9-12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What factors determine the most common form of entertainment at Walden Two?
(a) Cost and time to organize it.
(b) Talent and time.
(c) The members of the community vote on what they want to do.
(d) Cost, transportation, and the amount of trouble involved.
2. Where are babies kept in the early stages of life at Walden Two?
(a) In their mothers' rooms.
(b) In their parents' home.
(c) In climate controlled cubicles with glass windows.
(d) In an intensive care unit.
3. In the first discussion between Rogers, Burris, and Jamnik, why is Frazier's name introduced?
(a) Frazier is also in the army.
(b) Frazier is a colleague of Rogers.
(c) Jamnik has read an article about Frazier's community.
(d) Burris knows Frazier.
4. After the visitors complete their first session of window-cleaning, how does Frazier clarify the view that Walden Two is about "getting back to a simpler time"?
(a) He explains that the objective is to reduce hard labor, use technology, and create leisure.
(b) The objective is to increase physical and spiritual activity.
(c) The objective is to increase physical work and improve health.
(d) The objective is to reduce work and improve relationships.
5. Why have Rogers and Jamnik come to visit Burris at the beginning of the novel?
(a) To invite him to join their group.
(b) To find out about a utopian society he once mentioned to Rogers.
(c) To renew old acquaintances.
(d) For advice on their future.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mary exhibits a kind of embroidery stitch to some women, they seem grateful but do not communicate this to her. What is the reason for this?
2. Whose ideas for a perfect society are reflected in the structure and operations of Walden Two?
3. What do the visitors learn at dinner about how the management of meals contributes to avoidance of crowds at Walden Two?
4. According to Frazier's explanation, how is the system managed to prevent members from favoring professional work over manual labor?
5. What is the attitude of Walden Two towards the importance of mother love in the lives of babies?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)