|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are these items called?
2. "Quilting in the Ditch" requires students to study what topic?
3. "Getting at Metaphor" is comprised of how many parts?
4. Students are required to avoid what item in their work?
(a) Common words.
(d) Flowery language.
5. "Intriguing Objects Exercise/ 'Show and Tell'" offers what type of exercise?
(b) Thought provoking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Exercises in this section give students:
2. "As/Like/Finish the Sentence" calls for the student to answer how many questions?
3. Who wrote "A Journey to Nowhere?"
4. Which item are students not required to study in this section?
5. How many lines must the poem contain as a minimum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the purpose of "Translations: Idea to Change."
2. What is the technique outlined in "A Little Night Music: the Narrative Metaphor?"
3. How do the drawings used in "Your Mother's Kitchen" affect the final outcome of the poems?
4. Why are students required to write a serious poem about a tabloid story?
5. Explain the exercise involving a copy of "The Peasant Wedding" by Bruegel.
6. Why does Dove insist that students use their first drawings for the poetry exercise?
7. What is the purpose of "The Unconscious As Gold Mine?"
8. What type of audience is most suited to the exercise in "The Widow?"
9. Why is it important to teach beginning poets about the use of specific images?
10. Why are tabloids good fodder for poetry?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)