|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first exercise is directed to examine initial encounters with what item?
(d) Famous Poets.
2. Stanton encourages what emotion?
3. Which author wrote "Breaking the Sentence; or, "No Sentences but in Things?"
4. Students are required to avoid what item in their work?
(c) Flowery language.
(d) Common words.
5. The author in this section refers to which famous poet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Picturing a particular person in a particular place helps students to:
2. How many journal entries are to be used for comparison?
3. "Quilting in the Ditch" requires students to study what topic?
4. The author wants students to choose what kind of location?
5. "Chanting Flowers off the Wall" is effective when used in what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how acting as a narrator for the famous encounter might change the tone of the finished poem?
2. What is the purpose of "The Unconscious As Gold Mine?"
3. Why does Dove insist that students use their first drawings for the poetry exercise?
4. Explain the exercise featured in "Quilting in the Ditch."
5. What is the only request made by Roger Mitchell in the "Breaking the Sentence; or, No Sentences, but in Things?"
6. Explain the exercise involving a copy of "The Peasant Wedding" by Bruegel.
7. What is the general purpose of THE PRACTICE OF POETRY by Robin Behn?
8. Explain the four abstractions and what students are required to do with them.
9. What is the technique outlined in "A Little Night Music: the Narrative Metaphor?"
10. What is the purpose of using dream notebooks and existing journal entries?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)