|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pollan points out that the industrial method of farming has led to increased ________ and polluted groundwater.
2. The idea behind grass farming is that the ________ is the most natural and renewable source of energy.
3. In many CAFOs, the _______ of pigs are cut off in response to the aggressive behavior they have in those conditions.
4. What is the name of the farm that Salatin runs?
5. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan point out as being the ingredients that are in a common breakfast cereal?
2. What is the history of Polyface Farm, according to the book?
3. What is the main idea behind the process of grass farming?
4. What is the hybrid corn that is described in this section of the book?
5. What is corn starch broken down into after it has been processed in the wet milling process?
6. Why is high fructose corn syrup used in sodas today instead of regular sugar?
7. What does the lack of a good culture in America cause among people?
8. What happens during the wet mill process of processing corn?
9. What happened as a result of corn having mutated early on in its use?
10. What does a person need to know in order to succeed with grass farming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main theme of the book is the omnivore's dilemma and it's one that Pollan returns to again and again.
Part 1: Do you think you face a dilemma when you sit down to eat?
Part 2: Why do you think Pollan believes that the dilemma is important?
Part 3: Should people think about where their food comes from or why they choose certain foods?
Essay Topic 2
Farmers continue to have to grow more and more corn to keep up with the supply and demand, but it's harming their farms.
Part 1: What are some of the problems of only growing corn in a field?
Part 2: Do you think that farmers should be pushed to grow so much corn?
Part 3: Why do you think farmers aren't trying to grow more diverse crops?
Essay Topic 3
The supersizing of foods and drinks has led to more sales for the soda drink companies.
Part 1: What do you think about the idea of supersizing your meals?
Part 2: Do you think that the idea of supersizing may have contributed to the growing obesity problem?
Part 3: Why do you think people tend to enjoy the idea of supersizing their meals and drinks?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)