|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Every day, the ________ pens are moved to ensure that the droppings spread evenly.
2. What takes corn meal, corn starch, and corn sweetener to make?
3. At the beginning of the food chain is ________, which surprised Pollan when he realized this.
4. The soda industry began to ______ their sodas, which led people to drink more and to buy more.
5. By _______, the government became involved in the organic market, as it sought to define what it meant to be organic.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan point out is the start of any of the foods in the food chain, which came as a surprise to him?
2. What is the history of Polyface Farm, according to the book?
3. Why does most of the corn planting farming rely on the use of genetically modified organisms (GMO)?
4. Why is high fructose corn syrup used in sodas today instead of regular sugar?
5. What does Naylor admit that he and most other growers grow in their corn fields?
6. Describe the Salatin farm as Pollan views it in the book from his experiences visiting there.
7. What was the role of Earl Butz in the corn industry, according to the book?
8. What are the reasons why Pollan calls farms and humans imperfect natural systems?
9. What does the lack of a good culture in America cause among people?
10. What is corn starch broken down into after it has been processed in the wet milling process?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Polyface Farm also strives to live off the grid in an effort to use as few resources as possible.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible for you to live without depending on the grid?
Part 2: Why do you think a person might want to live off the grid?
Part 3: How would your live change if you were to start living off the grid?
Essay Topic 2
The food industry, according to Pollan, relies on two imperfect natural systems - the farm and the human.
Part 1: What do you think might create a more perfect system for farming?
Part 2: Is it even possible to have a perfect system for farming?
Part 3: Do you think the farms or the humans are more to blame for the troubles in the food chain right now?
Essay Topic 3
The supersizing of foods and drinks has led to more sales for the soda drink companies.
Part 1: What do you think about the idea of supersizing your meals?
Part 2: Do you think that the idea of supersizing may have contributed to the growing obesity problem?
Part 3: Why do you think people tend to enjoy the idea of supersizing their meals and drinks?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)