|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By _______, the government became involved in the organic market, as it sought to define what it meant to be organic.
2. What takes corn meal, corn starch, and corn sweetener to make?
3. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
4. Where does Pollan find himself first questioning what the food on the market is made of?
5. What is NOT one of the things that humans consult in order to determine what they will and will not eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Salatin farm not need to use because it practices other methods of pest control and fertilization?
2. What happens to the cows that produce organic milk for places like Whole Foods, according to Pollan?
3. What does Pollan point out is the start of any of the foods in the food chain, which came as a surprise to him?
4. What are the environmental results of the industrial method of farming, as Pollan finds out?
5. Describe the Salatin farm as Pollan views it in the book from his experiences visiting there.
6. Why do humans have the problem of the omnivore's dilemma, according to Pollan?
7. What happened as a result of corn having mutated early on in its use?
8. What is the history of Polyface Farm, according to the book?
9. What did Pollan feel about the meal that he had that was made from all organic foods?
10. What are the three different parts of the food chain that Pollan follows in this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Salatin's farming methods focus on efficiency and building up a system that helps maintain itself.
Part 1: How do you think industrial farms lack efficiency?
Part 2: Why do you think natural farming methods are more efficient?
Part 3: Do you think every farmer can be more efficient?
Essay Topic 2
Polyface Farm also strives to live off the grid in an effort to use as few resources as possible.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible for you to live without depending on the grid?
Part 2: Why do you think a person might want to live off the grid?
Part 3: How would your live change if you were to start living off the grid?
Essay Topic 3
The supersizing of foods and drinks has led to more sales for the soda drink companies.
Part 1: What do you think about the idea of supersizing your meals?
Part 2: Do you think that the idea of supersizing may have contributed to the growing obesity problem?
Part 3: Why do you think people tend to enjoy the idea of supersizing their meals and drinks?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)