|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some believe that human ________ is different from that of animals because humans are capable of suffering.
2. The tart is made with _________ from Pollan's neighbor's garden as a dessert.
3. Americans can develop an eating culture that allows omnivores to eat without _____, according to Pollan, and with full consciousness.
4. __________ involves higher emotions of dread, shame, and fear, according to Pollan.
(c) Moral drama.
5. Humans also overcame their _________ in plants through cooking, grinding, or soaking the foods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pollan makes __________ toasts from the produce in his garden and bread that uses yeast he has gathered.
2. Pollan tries to be vegetarian, but gives it up as he finds it less ________ and much more difficult.
3. Buying local foods grown in a __________ manner underwrites a set of values important to the people.
4. There are parts of the world, Pollan points out, where the only use of the land is for _______, otherwise it would be useless.
5. Pollan sees some mushrooms which he believes to be ___________, though he is not sure enough to eat them.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bev having troubles getting his eggs into stores and into the market?
2. What are some of the downsides for shopping for local, sustainably grown foods?
3. What is Pollan surprised about when he begins to eat the meal that he has prepared?
4. What does Pollan begin to experience after a day of hunting for a wild boar?
5. What are the eating patterns in many American households today?
6. What does Pollan suggest that our intelligence allows a person to do that an animal cannot?
7. What do omnivores do when they are faced with a new food?
8. What is the fundamental argument in Singer's book about the ethics of meat?
9. Why is Pollan disgusted by the picture of him with a pig that he hunted?
10. What does Garro bring to the meal that Pollan has already asked him to bring?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)