|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Pollan ask for a detailed account of what happens when a steer is processed?
2. The modern CAFO does not take into consideration the _________ of an animal when processing them.
3. Who is considered to be the first researcher of the omnivore's dilemma?
4. Pollan sees some mushrooms which he believes to be ___________, though he is not sure enough to eat them.
5. Gasset points out to Pollan that he believes _________ returned humans back to nature, and Pollan agrees.
(a) The New Age movement.
(b) The organic farmers.
(c) The econony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pollan wants to say ________ to the animals for the meal, but realizes this is already in the meal.
2. Pollan is disgusted when he looks at a picture of himself with his kill and sees ________.
3. Buying local foods grown in a __________ manner underwrites a set of values important to the people.
4. What is a sign that the food is something that should not be eaten again?
5. _________ changed the way that humans ate, and put humans at the top of the food chain.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan point out as being a failing of the industrialized food chain?
2. Why is Bev having troubles getting his eggs into stores and into the market?
3. What are some of the downsides for shopping for local, sustainably grown foods?
4. What does Ortega y Gasset have to say about the idea of hunting?
5. Why is Pollan disgusted by the picture of him with a pig that he hunted?
6. What does Pollan begin to realize as he is preparing for his hunter's license?
7. What does Pollan suggest that our intelligence allows a person to do that an animal cannot?
8. Why does Pollan think that the hunter-gatherer food chain is not a realistic choice?
9. Why is there a national eating disorder, according to Pollan's findings?
10. What is the reason why Garro hunts for the food in the woods?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)