|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the number of the steer that Pollan has picked out for his meal?
2. Salatin disagrees with the idea that organic food is ___________.
(b) More expensive.
(c) More intensive.
3. The alliance between chefs and small farmers is what helps _____________ flourish.
(b) Grocery stores.
(c) Local economies.
(d) Cooking schools.
4. Mushrooms, Pollan points out, can be ________, but they can also be deadly.
(b) Easy to find.
5. A new economy, based on a new way of __________, demands a new kind of eating where people enjoy preparing meals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pollan admits that losing ________ does force the human to lose a part of his or her culture as well as his or her nature.
2. Buying local foods grown in a __________ manner underwrites a set of values important to the people.
3. Some believe that human ________ is different from that of animals because humans are capable of suffering.
4. Pollan tries to be vegetarian, but gives it up as he finds it less ________ and much more difficult.
5. Pollan also makes two entrees, one of grilled and one of braised __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the other part of the meal that Pollan has to abandon as a part of his plan?
2. Why does Pollan think that the hunter-gatherer food chain is not a realistic choice?
3. What is in the meal that Pollan makes at the end of this section, which he describes as being phenomenal?
4. What is the irony that Pollan sees when he is looking over the delicious meal?
5. What does Pollan begin to experience after a day of hunting for a wild boar?
6. Why do humans seem to eat what other humans eat, according to Pollan?
7. Why is Pollan disgusted by the picture of him with a pig that he hunted?
8. What are some of the ways in which humans have learned to overcome the plant's defenses?
9. What does Garro bring to the meal that Pollan has already asked him to bring?
10. What does Pollan try to make, but then decides that he shouldn't use it because it doesn't seem right?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)