|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The grass also gets a chance to ________ when the cattle is moved around.
2. Each acre of corn, according to Pollan needs to have _________ gallons of fossil fuel to support it.
3. Pollan learns that most organic _______ comes from factory farms, even though they seem to be "better."
4. _________ Farm started out as a small farm that sold pre-bagged salad mix, according to the book.
5. What do many farmers rely on in order to create higher yields at their farms?
Short Answer Questions
1. The _________ is one of the specialized animals that Pollan points out as having no issues with eating.
2. How many generations have been at the Salatin farm, all committed to alternative farming?
3. Pollan hopes to bring the reader back to their original _______ of food.
4. Salatin uses the animals to create a _________ system that also bolsters efficiency on the farm.
5. How many acres of woodland help Salatin continue to live outside the modern world?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan suggest that our intelligence allows a person to do that an animal cannot?
2. What is another impact of the push for corn in farming, related to another type of industrialized food supply?
3. What is the history of Polyface Farm, according to the book?
4. What happened as a result of corn having mutated early on in its use?
5. What is the other part of the meal that Pollan has to abandon as a part of his plan?
6. Why is Pollan disgusted by the picture of him with a pig that he hunted?
7. Why do humans have the problem of the omnivore's dilemma, according to Pollan?
8. Why is high fructose corn syrup used in sodas today instead of regular sugar?
9. What does Pollan point out as being the ingredients that are in a common breakfast cereal?
10. What are some of the downsides for shopping for local, sustainably grown foods?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)