|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Salatin is a strong believer in farming in line with one's ___________, as seen in a phone call with Pollan.
(c) Season cycle.
(d) World view.
2. Where do all of the parts of the corn end up in as a result of the new process to separate its parts?
(a) Egg sandwiches.
(c) Processed foods.
(d) Bottled water.
3. To combat the human end of the imperfect system, marketers add ______ to their raw product -- making it a novelty.
4. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
(a) Corn meal.
(b) Corn starch.
(c) Corn mallow.
(d) Corn husks.
5. What is NOT one of the parts of corn that is separated out in the newly used process?
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the products at the health store where Pollan shops contain foods from the _________ food chain.
2. What is the name of the once trash strewn park that was turned into a community garden?
3. In many CAFOs, the _______ of pigs are cut off in response to the aggressive behavior they have in those conditions.
4. The lack of a food _______ is something that causes humans to be susceptible to food fads.
5. Corn takes in more carbon _______ during the process of photosynthesis than other plants.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan point out is the start of any of the foods in the food chain, which came as a surprise to him?
2. Why do humans have the problem of the omnivore's dilemma, according to Pollan?
3. What are three of the benefits to grass farming, as outlined by Pollan?
4. What does the Salatin farm not need to use because it practices other methods of pest control and fertilization?
5. Why is high fructose corn syrup used in sodas today instead of regular sugar?
6. What are some of the compounds that are derived from the various parts of the corn kernel?
7. What are the environmental results of the industrial method of farming, as Pollan finds out?
8. What did Pollan feel about the meal that he had that was made from all organic foods?
9. What are some of the other creatures and ingredients that are a part of the picture of the natural cow eating the natural grass?
10. Why are the chicken pens slowly moved around the pasture during the day?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)