|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many of the products at the health store where Pollan shops contain foods from the _________ food chain.
(b) Local farmer.
2. At the beginning of the food chain is ________, which surprised Pollan when he realized this.
3. Salatin is a strong believer in farming in line with one's ___________, as seen in a phone call with Pollan.
(a) Season cycle.
(b) World view.
4. Where is the farm that George Naylor runs when Pollan goes to visit him to learn more?
5. Salatin points out that being ________ doesn't necessarily mean that a farm is also going to be sustainable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
2. Gene Kahn is the founder of ______ Farm, which is a giant organic company that uses industrial methods.
3. What were the programs that were set up in order to help farmers during the rougher years?
4. Pollan points out during the book that omnivores face a __________ when they eat today.
5. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan note as being a problem with organic foods being labeled as organic, as shown in the example of the lettuce?
2. What does Pollan point out as a downside of there being more organic farms around today?
3. Why does most of the corn planting farming rely on the use of genetically modified organisms (GMO)?
4. What are three of the benefits to grass farming, as outlined by Pollan?
5. What was the role of Earl Butz in the corn industry, according to the book?
6. What is corn starch broken down into after it has been processed in the wet milling process?
7. What does the lack of a good culture in America cause among people?
8. What is the hybrid corn that is described in this section of the book?
9. Why are the chicken pens slowly moved around the pasture during the day?
10. What indicates a higher ratio of corn being eaten in a human's diet?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)