|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pollan looks over the land and it makes him think of _________, which is something marketers now try to sell.
2. What is NOT one of the threads of the worldwide food chain that humans fit into?
(a) The dairy market.
(b) The hunter-gatherer chain.
(c) The industrial chain.
(d) The organic chain.
3. Salatin's is an _________ farm, dedicated to the old agrarian ideas of how things should be grown.
(b) All free.
(c) All inclusive.
4. Hybrid corn is a __________ hog, according to this chapter, and is able to be grown without disruption of fertility issues.
5. Every day, the ________ pens are moved to ensure that the droppings spread evenly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many atoms does corn utilize during photosynthesis, unlike others?
2. _________ Farm started out as a small farm that sold pre-bagged salad mix, according to the book.
3. What were the programs that were set up in order to help farmers during the rougher years?
4. What is the name of the once trash strewn park that was turned into a community garden?
5. Pollan points out during the book that omnivores face a __________ when they eat today.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is corn starch broken down into after it has been processed in the wet milling process?
2. Why do humans have the problem of the omnivore's dilemma, according to Pollan?
3. What does the lack of a good culture in America cause among people?
4. What happens to the cows that produce organic milk for places like Whole Foods, according to Pollan?
5. What is another impact of the push for corn in farming, related to another type of industrialized food supply?
6. What are the reasons why Pollan calls farms and humans imperfect natural systems?
7. Why does most of the corn planting farming rely on the use of genetically modified organisms (GMO)?
8. What is the main idea behind the process of grass farming?
9. Why is high fructose corn syrup used in sodas today instead of regular sugar?
10. What does a person need to know in order to succeed with grass farming?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)