|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What store does Pollan go to in order to begin creating a store-purchased organic meal?
(a) Whole Foods.
(c) Richard's Organic Foods.
(d) Trader Joe's.
2. Hybrid corn is a __________ hog, according to this chapter, and is able to be grown without disruption of fertility issues.
3. What does the farmer use to cover the chicken waste in the compost pile?
(a) Wood chips.
4. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
(c) High quality.
5. What is NOT one of the parts of corn that is separated out in the newly used process?
Short Answer Questions
1. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
2. In the early 19th century, Americans were drinking more alcohol, which cause the Alcohol _________.
3. Where does Pollan take his family at the end of this section of the book?
4. Corn is also able to limit the ______ lost during the process of photosynthesis, according to the book.
5. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the hybrid corn that is described in this section of the book?
2. What does Pollan point out about the loss of meat in one's diet?
3. What does Pollan point out as being a failing of the industrialized food chain?
4. What are the reasons why Pollan calls farms and humans imperfect natural systems?
5. What happens to the cows that produce organic milk for places like Whole Foods, according to Pollan?
6. Where can Pollan buy some of the Salatin farm's produce?
7. What are some of the compounds that are derived from the various parts of the corn kernel?
8. What indicates a higher ratio of corn being eaten in a human's diet?
9. What is the irony that Pollan sees when he is looking over the delicious meal?
10. Why does Salatin disagree with the argument that organic food costs too much?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)