|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _______ was mass produced because of all of the corn that was grown at the time of the alcohol period in the country.
2. What is the underlying foundation of the entire Salatin farm, according to Pollan?
3. A new program was introduced to pay the farmers directly for the difference in price between the target and the selling price of ________.
4. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
(d) Organic blends.
5. The push for corn has also led to the industrialization of _______ farms, according to Naylor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gene Kahn is the founder of ______ Farm, which is a giant organic company that uses industrial methods.
2. Where does Pollan find himself first questioning what the food on the market is made of?
3. Pollan points out during the book that omnivores face a __________ when they eat today.
4. What is NOT one of the things that humans consult in order to determine what they will and will not eat?
5. What do many farmers rely on in order to create higher yields at their farms?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the wet mill process of processing corn?
2. Why is high fructose corn syrup used in sodas today instead of regular sugar?
3. What is another impact of the push for corn in farming, related to another type of industrialized food supply?
4. What is corn starch broken down into after it has been processed in the wet milling process?
5. What happens to the cows that produce organic milk for places like Whole Foods, according to Pollan?
6. What are some of the compounds that are derived from the various parts of the corn kernel?
7. What does Pollan point out is the start of any of the foods in the food chain, which came as a surprise to him?
8. Why does most of the corn planting farming rely on the use of genetically modified organisms (GMO)?
9. What does the Salatin farm not need to use because it practices other methods of pest control and fertilization?
10. Why are the chicken pens slowly moved around the pasture during the day?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)