|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pollan points out during the book that omnivores face a __________ when they eat today.
2. Salatin's ______ invented many of the methods of farming that are used on the farm today.
3. Humans are not a perfect natural system in the food system because they can only _______ so much food.
(d) Throw away.
4. The invention of synthetic materials also meant that _________ would become necessary to fix the nitrogen.
(b) Fossil fuels.
(d) Solar power.
5. Pollan points out that the Republic of _______ exists today because of all of the excess corn in the market.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of the food chain is ________, which surprised Pollan when he realized this.
2. The farm and the human are two ________ natural systems that the food industry relies on.
3. What does Pollan admit about the chickens that Salatin sells on his farm?
4. Organic farms might still look like industrial farms, but they do not use ___________.
5. The manure of the _______ is spread on all of the pastures without fouling the pasture with too many droppings.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do humans have the problem of the omnivore's dilemma, according to Pollan?
2. What does Pollan note as being a problem with organic foods being labeled as organic, as shown in the example of the lettuce?
3. What is the main idea behind the process of grass farming?
4. What does Naylor admit that he and most other growers grow in their corn fields?
5. What is the hybrid corn that is described in this section of the book?
6. What are the environmental results of the industrial method of farming, as Pollan finds out?
7. What does Pollan point out as being the ingredients that are in a common breakfast cereal?
8. What does the Salatin farm not need to use because it practices other methods of pest control and fertilization?
9. What happens to the cows that produce organic milk for places like Whole Foods, according to Pollan?
10. Why is high fructose corn syrup used in sodas today instead of regular sugar?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)