|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many atoms does corn utilize during photosynthesis, unlike others?
2. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
3. Salatin uses the animals to create a _________ system that also bolsters efficiency on the farm.
4. What is the name of the development lab that Pollan visits in order to learn more about corn?
(b) Birds Eye.
(c) Ralston Purina.
(d) General Mills.
5. The Salatin farming method is based on _________ polyculture, and it is highly energy efficient.
Short Answer Questions
1. Salatin doesn't follow the USDA guidelines by processing his _________ in an open air building without any walls.
2. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
3. Humans are not a perfect natural system in the food system because they can only _______ so much food.
4. Pollan looks over the land and it makes him think of _________, which is something marketers now try to sell.
5. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is corn starch broken down into after it has been processed in the wet milling process?
2. What does Pollan note as being a problem with organic foods being labeled as organic, as shown in the example of the lettuce?
3. Why is high fructose corn syrup used in sodas today instead of regular sugar?
4. What are some of the compounds that are derived from the various parts of the corn kernel?
5. What does Pollan point out is the start of any of the foods in the food chain, which came as a surprise to him?
6. What are some of the other creatures and ingredients that are a part of the picture of the natural cow eating the natural grass?
7. Why are the chicken pens slowly moved around the pasture during the day?
8. Describe the Salatin farm as Pollan views it in the book from his experiences visiting there.
9. What was the role of Earl Butz in the corn industry, according to the book?
10. What happened as a result of corn having mutated early on in its use?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)