|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The manure of the _______ is spread on all of the pastures without fouling the pasture with too many droppings.
2. The increased ______ of corn has meant a drop in crop space for other plants, according to Naylor.
3. The Naylor farm has turned from a diverse farm to one that has become a _________ production mecca.
4. Corn is also able to limit the ______ lost during the process of photosynthesis, according to the book.
5. Where does Pollan take his family at the end of this section of the book?
(a) Burger King.
(d) Taco Bell.
Short Answer Questions
1. A new program was introduced to pay the farmers directly for the difference in price between the target and the selling price of ________.
2. Gene Kahn is the founder of ______ Farm, which is a giant organic company that uses industrial methods.
3. Corn became a _________ because of its many applications for use by the settlers.
4. The farm and the human are two ________ natural systems that the food industry relies on.
5. Salatin's is an _________ farm, dedicated to the old agrarian ideas of how things should be grown.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is corn starch broken down into after it has been processed in the wet milling process?
2. What happens during the wet mill process of processing corn?
3. What did Pollan feel about the meal that he had that was made from all organic foods?
4. What does Pollan point out is the start of any of the foods in the food chain, which came as a surprise to him?
5. What does Pollan point out as being the ingredients that are in a common breakfast cereal?
6. Describe the Salatin farm as Pollan views it in the book from his experiences visiting there.
7. What does the Salatin farm not need to use because it practices other methods of pest control and fertilization?
8. Why do humans have the problem of the omnivore's dilemma, according to Pollan?
9. What is the history of Polyface Farm, according to the book?
10. What indicates a higher ratio of corn being eaten in a human's diet?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)