|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
(a) Corn starch.
(b) Corn meal.
(c) Corn mallow.
(d) Corn husks.
2. What do many farmers rely on in order to create higher yields at their farms?
3. By _______, the government became involved in the organic market, as it sought to define what it meant to be organic.
4. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
(c) High quality.
5. How many atoms does corn utilize during photosynthesis, unlike others?
Short Answer Questions
1. The push for corn has also led to the industrialization of _______ farms, according to Naylor.
2. What takes corn meal, corn starch, and corn sweetener to make?
3. What is NOT one of the things that humans consult in order to determine what they will and will not eat?
4. Every day, the ________ pens are moved to ensure that the droppings spread evenly.
5. Pollan argues that Salatin's method of farming is far more efficient in terms of _________ to produce calories.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the cows that produce organic milk for places like Whole Foods, according to Pollan?
2. What does a person need to know in order to succeed with grass farming?
3. What does Naylor admit that he and most other growers grow in their corn fields?
4. What is corn starch broken down into after it has been processed in the wet milling process?
5. What are three of the benefits to grass farming, as outlined by Pollan?
6. What are some of the other creatures and ingredients that are a part of the picture of the natural cow eating the natural grass?
7. Describe the Salatin farm as Pollan views it in the book from his experiences visiting there.
8. What are the environmental results of the industrial method of farming, as Pollan finds out?
9. What does the lack of a good culture in America cause among people?
10. What does Pollan point out is the start of any of the foods in the food chain, which came as a surprise to him?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)