|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The invention of synthetic materials also meant that _________ would become necessary to fix the nitrogen.
(c) Fossil fuels.
(d) Solar power.
2. Pollan hopes to bring the reader back to their original _______ of food.
3. Pollan argues that Salatin's method of farming is far more efficient in terms of _________ to produce calories.
4. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
(c) High quality.
5. What does Naylor avoid when he is growing his crop on his farm?
(d) Government help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the products at the health store where Pollan shops contain foods from the _________ food chain.
2. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
3. Pollan learns that most organic _______ comes from factory farms, even though they seem to be "better."
4. _______ was mass produced because of all of the corn that was grown at the time of the alcohol period in the country.
5. Pollan looks over the land and it makes him think of _________, which is something marketers now try to sell.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three different parts of the food chain that Pollan follows in this book?
2. Why is high fructose corn syrup used in sodas today instead of regular sugar?
3. What does Pollan point out as a downside of there being more organic farms around today?
4. What is corn starch broken down into after it has been processed in the wet milling process?
5. What does Pollan point out as being the ingredients that are in a common breakfast cereal?
6. What happened as a result of corn having mutated early on in its use?
7. What are three of the benefits to grass farming, as outlined by Pollan?
8. What does the lack of a good culture in America cause among people?
9. What did Pollan feel about the meal that he had that was made from all organic foods?
10. What are some of the other creatures and ingredients that are a part of the picture of the natural cow eating the natural grass?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)