|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Corn is one of the only plants that is adaptable to _________.
2. What store does Pollan go to in order to begin creating a store-purchased organic meal?
(a) Whole Foods.
(b) Richard's Organic Foods.
(d) Trader Joe's.
3. Pollan isn't surprised that the ________ doesn't encourage Salatin's farming since he buys almost nothing to support it.
(a) Big box stores.
(c) Neighboring farmers.
(d) Feed lots.
4. Every day, the ________ pens are moved to ensure that the droppings spread evenly.
5. Where do all of the parts of the corn end up in as a result of the new process to separate its parts?
(a) Processed foods.
(b) Bottled water.
(c) Egg sandwiches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the products at the health store where Pollan shops contain foods from the _________ food chain.
2. Corn is also able to limit the ______ lost during the process of photosynthesis, according to the book.
3. By _______, the government became involved in the organic market, as it sought to define what it meant to be organic.
4. Wallerstein originally worked for a _______ where he learned he could entice people to buy more with larger sizes.
5. Pollan learns that most organic _______ comes from factory farms, even though they seem to be "better."
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there a national eating disorder, according to Pollan's findings?
2. What does Pollan try to make, but then decides that he shouldn't use it because it doesn't seem right?
3. What is the history of Polyface Farm, according to the book?
4. Why does Pollan think that the hunter-gatherer food chain is not a realistic choice?
5. What does Ortega y Gasset have to say about the idea of hunting?
6. What indicates a higher ratio of corn being eaten in a human's diet?
7. What does Pollan point out about the loss of meat in one's diet?
8. What does Pollan point out as a downside of there being more organic farms around today?
9. What is the other part of the meal that Pollan has to abandon as a part of his plan?
10. What is the irony that Pollan sees when he is looking over the delicious meal?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)