|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Salatin's ______ invented many of the methods of farming that are used on the farm today.
2. Where does Pollan take his family at the end of this section of the book?
(b) Taco Bell.
(d) Burger King.
3. To combat the human end of the imperfect system, marketers add ______ to their raw product -- making it a novelty.
4. What does the farmer use to cover the chicken waste in the compost pile?
(a) Wood chips.
5. Where do all of the parts of the corn end up in as a result of the new process to separate its parts?
(a) Processed foods.
(b) Egg sandwiches.
(c) Bottled water.
Short Answer Questions
1. The grass also gets a chance to ________ when the cattle is moved around.
2. Pollan points out that the industrial method of farming has led to increased ________ and polluted groundwater.
3. The Naylor farm has turned from a diverse farm to one that has become a _________ production mecca.
4. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
5. Gene Kahn is the founder of ______ Farm, which is a giant organic company that uses industrial methods.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pollan note as being a problem with organic foods being labeled as organic, as shown in the example of the lettuce?
2. What does the Salatin farm not need to use because it practices other methods of pest control and fertilization?
3. What are three of the benefits to grass farming, as outlined by Pollan?
4. Why does most of the corn planting farming rely on the use of genetically modified organisms (GMO)?
5. What indicates a higher ratio of corn being eaten in a human's diet?
6. Describe the Salatin farm as Pollan views it in the book from his experiences visiting there.
7. What does the lack of a good culture in America cause among people?
8. Why do humans have the problem of the omnivore's dilemma, according to Pollan?
9. What does Naylor admit that he and most other growers grow in their corn fields?
10. What is the history of Polyface Farm, according to the book?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)