|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Two through Chapter Four.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The invention of synthetic materials also meant that _________ would become necessary to fix the nitrogen.
(a) Fossil fuels.
(b) Solar power.
2. What is NOT one of the threads of the worldwide food chain that humans fit into?
(a) The industrial chain.
(b) The dairy market.
(c) The organic chain.
(d) The hunter-gatherer chain.
3. Pollan hopes to bring the reader back to their original _______ of food.
4. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
5. Where is the farm that George Naylor runs when Pollan goes to visit him to learn more?
Short Answer Questions
1. The _________ is one of the specialized animals that Pollan points out as having no issues with eating.
2. Who introduced the idea of using corn to the English settlers?
3. As a result of the new government agreement, the market is flooded with _______ corn.
4. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
5. In what part of the body can one determine just how much corn is being eaten by the person?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)