|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Two through Chapter Four.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
2. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
3. Where does Pollan find himself first questioning what the food on the market is made of?
4. In what part of the body can one determine just how much corn is being eaten by the person?
5. The push for corn has also led to the industrialization of _______ farms, according to Naylor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduced the idea of using corn to the English settlers?
2. Corn is also able to limit the ______ lost during the process of photosynthesis, according to the book.
3. Hybrid corn is a __________ hog, according to this chapter, and is able to be grown without disruption of fertility issues.
4. What were the programs that were set up in order to help farmers during the rougher years?
5. Corn takes in more carbon _______ during the process of photosynthesis than other plants.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)