|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Two through Chapter Four.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
2. What is NOT one of the threads of the worldwide food chain that humans fit into?
(a) The organic chain.
(b) The hunter-gatherer chain.
(c) The industrial chain.
(d) The dairy market.
3. Over time, corn has become everything humans need to be a staple of the _________ food chain.
4. Each acre of corn, according to Pollan needs to have _________ gallons of fossil fuel to support it.
5. Where is the farm that George Naylor runs when Pollan goes to visit him to learn more?
Short Answer Questions
1. Corn is also able to limit the ______ lost during the process of photosynthesis, according to the book.
2. What is NOT one of the things that humans consult in order to determine what they will and will not eat?
3. What were the programs that were set up in order to help farmers during the rougher years?
4. Pollan points out that the industrial method of farming has led to increased ________ and polluted groundwater.
5. The increased ______ of corn has meant a drop in crop space for other plants, according to Naylor.
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)