|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Two through Chapter Four.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The increased ______ of corn has meant a drop in crop space for other plants, according to Naylor.
2. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
3. Corn became a _________ because of its many applications for use by the settlers.
4. What is the name of the person who began to take away the programs to help the farmers?
(a) Earl Butz.
(b) Ed Burrow.
(c) Gerald Ford.
(d) Dwight Eisenhower.
5. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Naylor avoid when he is growing his crop on his farm?
2. Each acre of corn, according to Pollan needs to have _________ gallons of fossil fuel to support it.
3. Over time, corn has become everything humans need to be a staple of the _________ food chain.
4. Corn is also self _______ and wind pollinated, which is a process that Pollan describes in detail.
5. What is NOT one of the things that humans consult in order to determine what they will and will not eat?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)