|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five through Chapter Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Corn began to rise to fame when the government war factories turned into __________ factories.
2. Pollan points out that the Republic of _______ exists today because of all of the excess corn in the market.
3. Over time, corn has become everything humans need to be a staple of the _________ food chain.
4. How many atoms does corn utilize during photosynthesis, unlike others?
5. What is the name of the development lab that Pollan visits in order to learn more about corn?
(a) Ralston Purina.
(b) General Mills.
(d) Birds Eye.
Short Answer Questions
1. The factories from the war time began to produce ________ for farmers to help with their crops.
2. The invention of synthetic materials also meant that _________ would become necessary to fix the nitrogen.
3. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
4. To help combat how much a person can eat, the food industry has created ________ starch that can allow people to eat more.
5. The farm and the human are two ________ natural systems that the food industry relies on.
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)