|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five through Chapter Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The _________ is one of the specialized animals that Pollan points out as having no issues with eating.
2. What is the process by which corn is changed into different parts?
(a) Wet mill.
(b) Wet substrate.
(c) Dry mill.
(d) Dry dock.
3. Humans are not a perfect natural system in the food system because they can only _______ so much food.
(c) Throw away.
4. To help combat how much a person can eat, the food industry has created ________ starch that can allow people to eat more.
5. Corn ________ early on to mass produce, but this also made the plant dependent on humans and animals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the development lab that Pollan visits in order to learn more about corn?
2. Hybrid corn is a __________ hog, according to this chapter, and is able to be grown without disruption of fertility issues.
3. Synthetic _______, invented by Fritz Haber as a side effect of his work on bombs in Germany, meant that crops could be grown without care about the amount of this substance on the Earth.
4. A new program was introduced to pay the farmers directly for the difference in price between the target and the selling price of ________.
5. Where does Pollan find himself first questioning what the food on the market is made of?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)