|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five through Chapter Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the food chain is ________, which surprised Pollan when he realized this.
2. Where do all of the parts of the corn end up in as a result of the new process to separate its parts?
(a) Processed foods.
(c) Egg sandwiches.
(d) Bottled water.
3. In a bad corn year, the food industry might use __________ as a replacement in many foods.
(c) Baking soda.
4. What is the ingredient that is broken into glucose and sweeteners, including high fructose corn syrup?
(a) Corn starch.
(b) Corn mallow.
(c) Corn meal.
(d) Corn husks.
5. Over time, corn has become everything humans need to be a staple of the _________ food chain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes corn meal, corn starch, and corn sweetener to make?
2. As the food companies produced more corn, they create more _________ as it is cheaper than sugar.
3. Pollan points out that the industrial method of farming has led to increased ________ and polluted groundwater.
4. Since they don't have to worry about nitrogen, farmers no longer have to ________ their crops to ensure soil fertility.
5. Corn became a _________ because of its many applications for use by the settlers.
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)