|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Quality Housing and Work Responsibility Act passed, authorizing public housing agencies the ability to exclude and evict drug offenders and other felons from access?
2. The quote from Frederick Douglass that opens Chapter 4: "The Cruel Hand" was a part of a statement on behalf of delegates to the National Colored Convention held when?
3. Who coined the term "invisible punishment" to describe the plight faced by former inmates trapped in the criminal justice system?
(a) Devah Pager.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Jeremy Travis.
(d) C. Vann Woodward.
4. When was Christopher Lee Armstrong's motel room raided, leading to his arrest for conspiracy to distribute crack cocaine?
(a) April, 1992.
(b) May, 1989.
(c) June, 2000.
(d) September, 1991.
5. What percentage of those arrested for drunk driving in 1990 were white men?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author asserts in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow," "All racial caste systems, not just mass incarceration, have been supported by" what?
2. Who wrote The Anatomy of Racial Inequality?
3. How many African American men received a bachelor's degree from Illinois state universities in 1999?
4. In June of 2001, how many more black men were in the Illinois state prison system than were enrolled in the state's public universities?
5. When was Clinton Drake arrested for possession of marijuana?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author assert drug-law enforcement is different than other types of law enforcement in Chapter 3: "The Color of Justice"?
2. How does the author compare the incarceration rates of blacks and whites in the U.S. for drug offenses versus the statistics of use among blacks and whites in the country?
3. How does the author describe white victims of racial caste in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
4. What circumstances led to Clinton Drake's inability to vote?
5. When did Whren v. United States go before the Supreme Court? What was the Court's decision?
6. Why does the author discuss Barack Obama's speech at the Apostolic Church of God in Chicago in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
7. What are the historical parallels between Jim Crow and mass incarceration that the author explores in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
8. How does the author compare the circumstances of a freed prisoner to those of a black person living in Mississippi at the height of Jim Crow in Chapter 4: "The Cruel Hand"?
9. How is Iris Marion Young's "birdcage" metaphor described in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
10. What is discussed regarding Stanley Cohen's States of Denial in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)