|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the time she worked at the ACLU, Michelle Alexander's focus shifted from employment discrimination to what focus?
(a) Affirmative action.
(b) Education reform.
(c) Criminal justice reform.
(d) Tax reform.
2. Where was the conflict labor camp the Parchman Farm established?
3. When did Bacon's Rebellion take place?
4. What was the dominant means of securing cheap labor in the early colonial period in America, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste"?
(a) White slavery.
(b) Indentured servitude.
(c) Native American slavery.
5. Who wrote The Strange Career of Jim Crow?
(a) Loic Wacquant.
(b) W. E. B. Du Bois.
(c) C. Vann Woodward.
(d) Marc Mauer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What U.S. Constitutional Amendment provided that the right to vote should not be denied on account of race?
2. Where did crack cocaine first emerge in poor black neighborhoods in the United States before spreading elsewhere?
3. What Supreme Court Justice dissented on the ruling in Terry v. Ohio?
4. What did the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlaw?
5. Where was Terrance Bostick traveling on a Greyhound bus when he was arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who declared the "War on Drugs"? When was it declared?
2. What percentages do drug offenses account for in the rise of the federal inmate population and state prisoners, according to the author in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
3. How did the concept of "race" emerge in America, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste"?
4. When did Terry v. Ohio go to the Supreme Court? What was the ruling?
5. What does the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution declare?
6. How are the circumstances of Robert Robinette's arrest described in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
7. What does "Jim Crow" refer to?
8. What is Federalism and what role has it played in racial oppression, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste"?
9. What was concluded in the case of Brown v. Board of Education?
10. What were the impacts and repercussions of Bacon's Rebellion?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)