|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage of all Southern elected officials were black in 1870?
2. What Constitutional Amendment prohibits states from denying citizens due process and "equal protection of the law"?
(a) The 15th Amendment.
(b) The 13th Amendment.
(c) The 14th Amendment.
(d) The 12th Amendment.
3. In her Introduction, the author writes, "The impact of the drug war has been astounding. In less than 30 years, the U.S penal population exploded from around 300,000 to" how many?
(a) "Almost 1 million."
(b) "Nearly 1.5 million."
(c) "More than 2 million."
(d) "More than 3 million."
4. Where was Terrance Bostick traveling on a Greyhound bus when he was arrested?
(a) To Little Rock.
(b) To Atlanta.
(c) To Memphis.
(d) To Los Angeles.
5. What question does the author say the book explores in Chapter 1?
(a) "Why are we here?"
(b) "Where do we go next?"
(c) "How did we get here?"
(d) "How do we face and address the past?"
Short Answer Questions
1. The author asserts in the Introduction that one in how many young African American men are currently under the control of the criminal justice system--in prison, in jail, on probation, or on parole?
2. How many SWAT team deployments were sent out for paramilitary drug raids in 2001?
3. When was the Military Cooperation with Law Enforcement Act passed?
4. What Supreme Court Justice dissented on the ruling in Terry v. Ohio?
5. When was Schneckloth v. Bustamonte decided?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the circumstances of Robert Robinette's arrest described in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
2. What percentages do drug offenses account for in the rise of the federal inmate population and state prisoners, according to the author in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
3. What were the impacts and repercussions of Bacon's Rebellion?
4. What legislative achievements were seen in the Reconstruction Era?
5. What was Operation Pipeline and what impacts did it have?
6. What obstacle does the Barack Obama presidency present for civil rights advocates, according to the author in the Introduction?
7. What was concluded in the case of Brown v. Board of Education?
8. What does the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution declare?
9. When did Terry v. Ohio go to the Supreme Court? What was the ruling?
10. What does "Jim Crow" refer to?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)