|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did California pass Proposition 184, the Three Strikes Law?
2. What question does the author say the book explores in Chapter 1?
(a) "How did we get here?"
(b) "How do we face and address the past?"
(c) "Where do we go next?"
(d) "Why are we here?"
3. What sociologist is cited in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste" as stating that each reincarnation of racial caste "is less total, less capable of encompassing and controlling the entire race"?
(a) Martin Luther King Jr.
(b) Loic Wacquant.
(c) W. E. B. Du Bois.
(d) Marc Mauer.
4. According to the author in the Introduction, how many people are in prison in the United States per 100,000?
5. During the time she worked at the ACLU, Michelle Alexander's focus shifted from employment discrimination to what focus?
(a) Affirmative action.
(b) Education reform.
(c) Criminal justice reform.
(d) Tax reform.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the governor that was under attack in Bacon's Rebellion?
2. To whom is the following quote that opens Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste" attributed: "The slave went free; stood a brief moment in the sun; then moved back again toward slavery"?
3. Where was the conflict labor camp the Parchman Farm established?
4. Approximately how many people were in prison or jail for a drug offense in 1980?
5. When was the Military Cooperation with Law Enforcement Act passed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the ermergence of slavery as the primary means for labor in the South?
2. What were the "black codes" and what impact did they have?
3. What was concluded in the case of Brown v. Board of Education?
4. How does the author define "caste"? What is meant by "racial caste"?
5. What were the impacts and repercussions of Bacon's Rebellion?
6. How do incarceration rates in the U.S. compare with those in other countries across the globe?
7. What obstacle does the Barack Obama presidency present for civil rights advocates, according to the author in the Introduction?
8. What is the Ku Klux Klan? What did the Ku Klux Klan acts dictate?
9. What was Operation Pipeline and what impacts did it have?
10. What does the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution declare?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)