|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did San Francisco's Ban the Box policy take effect?
2. In what case in 1985 did the Court rule that racially biased strikes violate the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment?
(a) Rucker v. Davis.
(b) Plessy v. Ferguson.
(c) McClesky v. Kemp.
(d) Batson v. Kentucky.
3. Who wrote the book States of Denial?
(a) Devah Pager.
(b) C. Vann Woodward.
(c) Loic Wacquant.
(d) Stanley Cohen.
4. When was the case of Yick Wo v. Hopkins decided?
5. How many U.S. states prohibit all employers and licensing agencies from considering arrests, according to the author in Chapter 4: "The Cruel Hand"?
6. The author cites Marilyn Frye as having made a metaphor for the systemic racism toward African Americans. What metaphor is used?
(a) A mountain.
(b) A fishing net.
(c) A mask.
(d) A birdcage.
7. When did the article "Where Have the Black Men Gone" appear in Ebony magazine?
(a) June, 1995.
(b) December, 2006.
(c) March, 2011.
(d) September, 2001.
8. In what year was the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act passed that differentiated marijuana from other narcotics?
9. When was the case of McCleskey v. Kemp decided by the Supreme Court?
10. Who was the former director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy that stated that if your child bought drugs, "it was from a student of their own race generally"?
(a) George Wallace.
(b) Marc Mauer.
(c) Barry McCaffrey.
(d) Douglas Blackmon.
11. The increase in the number of African American males sent to prison for drug crimes increased by what percentage between 1985 and 2005?
12. How much was the fine that Ora Lee Hurley owed and was imprisoned for being unable to pay?
13. In what notable case did the Court establish the doctrine of "separate but equal"?
(a) Batson v. Kentucky.
(b) Rucker v. Davis.
(c) McClesky v. Kemp.
(d) Plessy v. Ferguson.
14. In June of 2001, how many more black men were in the Illinois state prison system than were enrolled in the state's public universities?
(a) Nearly 20,000.
(b) Nearly 5,000.
(c) Nearly 15,000.
(d) Nearly 10,000.
15. Where was Edward Clary stopped and searched when he was 18?
(a) The San Diego airport.
(b) JFK airport.
(c) The St. Louis airport.
(d) Chicago O'Hare airport.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the judge assigned to Edward Clary's case in the Federal District of Missouri?
2. The author asserts in The New Jim Crow that no one has more power in the criminal justice system than whom?
3. Where does the author describe Murray McNair returning home after his release from prison in Chapter 4: "The Cruel Hand"?
4. Who is cited in Chapter 4: "The Cruel Hand" as having said, "In this brave new world, punishment for the original offense is no longer enough; one's debt to society is never paid"?
5. Where was Christopher Lee Armstrong when his motel was raided for drugs?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)