|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the defendants in Yick Wo v. Hopkins accused of doing?
(a) Murder and kidnapping.
(b) Operating laundries without licenses.
(c) Forgery and extortion.
(d) Operating restaurants without licenses.
2. Federal law provides that a child-support enforcement officer can garnish up to what percent of an individual's wages for child support?
(a) Up to 15%.
(b) Up to 65%.
(c) Up to 50%.
(d) Up to 45%.
3. In what year was the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act passed that differentiated marijuana from other narcotics?
4. When was the first year that a black person ever sat on a jury in the United States?
5. What writer is attributed to the following quote from Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow": "It's respectable to tar and feather criminals, to advocate locking them up and thowing away the key. It's not racist to be against crime, even though the archetypal criminal in the media and the public imagination almost always wears Willie Horton's face"?
(a) James Forman Jr.
(b) W. E. B. Du Bois.
(c) C. Vann Woodward.
(d) John Edgar Wideman.
6. The author notes in Chapter 4: "The Cruel Hand" that two-thirds of people detained in jails report annual incomes under what amount prior to their arrests?
(a) Under $5,000.
(b) Under $12,000.
(c) Under $10,000.
(d) Under $20,000.
7. In 2006, one in how many African American men was behind bars?
8. In what notable case did the Court establish the doctrine of "separate but equal"?
(a) Rucker v. Davis.
(b) Batson v. Kentucky.
(c) Plessy v. Ferguson.
(d) McClesky v. Kemp.
9. Where was Christopher Lee Armstrong when his motel was raided for drugs?
(a) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
10. In Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow" the author describes a speech that Barack Obama gave during his presidential campaign. Where was the speech given?
(a) The First Episcopal Church.
(b) The New Life Christian Science Church.
(c) The Apostolic Church of God.
(d) The New Zion Church of God.
11. Approximately what percentage of people sentenced to prison in Illinois for a drug offense are African American, according to the author in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
12. The increase in the number of African American males sent to prison for drug crimes increased by what percentage between 1985 and 2005?
13. Who is attributed to the quote in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow," "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"?
(a) William Berkeley.
(b) Martin Luther King Jr.
(c) W. E. B. Du Bois.
(d) John Edgar Wideman.
14. When was Christopher Lee Armstrong's motel room raided, leading to his arrest for conspiracy to distribute crack cocaine?
(a) September, 1991.
(b) May, 1989.
(c) April, 1992.
(d) June, 2000.
15. Who wrote the book States of Denial?
(a) Loic Wacquant.
(b) Devah Pager.
(c) Stanley Cohen.
(d) C. Vann Woodward.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization did Dorsey Nunn co-found?
2. Where did Warren McCleskey commit the crime he was accused of?
3. What writer for Time magazine wrote a critique of Obama's speech, as described in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
4. Where was Ora Lee Hurley imprisoned?
5. When did San Francisco's Ban the Box policy take effect?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)