|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state supreme court issued a landmark decision in the case of Ruffin v. Commonwealth?
(a) The Virginia Supreme Court.
(b) The Mississippi Supreme Court.
(c) The Arkansas Supreme Court.
(d) The Louisiana Supreme Court.
2. When did the American Civil War end by proclamation?
(a) May 9, 1865.
(b) March 1, 1863.
(c) September 16, 1862.
(d) January 1, 1866.
3. In her Introduction, the author writes, "The impact of the drug war has been astounding. In less than 30 years, the U.S penal population exploded from around 300,000 to" how many?
(a) "More than 3 million."
(b) "Nearly 1.5 million."
(c) "Almost 1 million."
(d) "More than 2 million."
4. When did Ronald Reagan officially announce the War on Drugs?
5. What word used in the Introduction refers to the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities?
6. Whose quote opens the section "The Birth of Slavery" in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste"?
(a) Malcolm X's.
(b) Lerone Bennett Jr.'s.
(c) Frederick Douglass's.
(d) Martin Luther King Jr.'s.
7. Approximately how many people were in prison or jail for a drug offense in 1980?
8. Who wrote Slavery by Another Name?
(a) C. Vann Woodward.
(b) W. E. B. Du Bois.
(c) Loic Wacquant.
(d) Douglas Blackmon.
9. What Amendment to the U.S. Constitution prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures?
(a) The 16th Amendment.
(b) The 2nd Amendment.
(c) The 4th Amendment.
(d) The 3rd Amendment.
10. In 1997, the Pentagon handed over how many pieces of military equipment to local police departments?
(a) Over 1.6 million.
(b) Over 1.2 million.
(c) About 3 million.
(d) Over 1.8 million.
11. What percentage of all Southern elected officials were black in 1870?
12. When was Alberta Spruill killed in a botched SWAT raid in Harlem?
(a) April 12, 1995.
(b) September 16, 2006.
(c) June 13, 2000.
(d) May 16, 2003.
13. When did Abraham Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) January 1, 1865.
(b) January 1, 1864.
(c) January 1, 1863.
(d) January 1, 1866.
14. In the Urban League's 1990 report, "The State of Black America," it stated, "There is at least one concept that must be recognized if one is to see the pervasive and insidious nature of the drug problem for the African American community. Though difficult to accept, that is the concept of" what?
15. What did the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlaw?
(a) Discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
(b) Slavery in the Southern United States.
(c) Segregation in public schools and buildings.
(d) Discrimination against African Americans in relation to voting rights.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the time she worked at the ACLU, Michelle Alexander's focus shifted from employment discrimination to what focus?
2. Approximately how many people have been arrested for drug offenses since the drug war began, according to the author in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
3. How many SWAT team deployments were sent out for paramilitary drug raids in 2001?
4. How did Jarvious Cotton's great-grandfather die?
5. Who was the executive director of the Sentencing Project when the book was written?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)