|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6: "The Fire This Time".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the three major racialized systems of control adopted by the United States toward African Americans, according to the author in the Introduction?
(a) Slavery, voting rights, and the War on Drugs.
(b) Slavery, Jim Crow, and mass incarceration.
(c) Slavery, poverty, and educational oppression.
(d) Slavery, economic inequality, and injustice.
2. Where is the See Forever charter school for juvenile offenders?
(a) Los Angeles.
(c) New York City.
(d) Washington, D.C.
3. Nearly how many African Americans live below the poverty line today, according to the author in Chapter 6: "The Fire This Time"?
(a) Nearly 2/3.
(b) Nearly 1/3.
(c) Nearly 1/2.
(d) Nearly 1/4.
4. What sociologist is cited as saying in Chapter 4: "The Cruel Hand" that those sent to prison "are institutionally branded as a particular class of individuals"?
(a) C. Vann Woodward.
(b) Devah Pager.
(c) Lerone Bennett Jr.
(d) William Berkeley.
5. The author asserts in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow" that although rural counties contain only 20% of the U.S. population, what percentage of new prison construction occurs there?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who described The Strange Career of Jim Crow as the "historical bible of the Civil Rights Movement"?
2. When was the home of Scott Bryant raided by police in Dodge City, Wisconsin?
3. What writer for Time magazine wrote a critique of Obama's speech, as described in Chapter 5: "The New Jim Crow"?
4. When was the major conference held called "Why We Can't Wait: Reversing the Retreat on Civil Rights"?
5. When did San Francisco's Ban the Box policy take effect?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)