|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: "The Lockdown".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word used in the Introduction refers to the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities?
2. What years comprised the Reconstruction Era?
3. When was Alberta Spruill killed in a botched SWAT raid in Harlem?
(a) April 12, 1995.
(b) September 16, 2006.
(c) June 13, 2000.
(d) May 16, 2003.
4. The author asserts in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown" that drug offenses alone account for what fraction of the rise in the federal inmate population between 1985 and 2000?
5. To whom is the following quote that opens Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste" attributed: "The slave went free; stood a brief moment in the sun; then moved back again toward slavery"?
(a) Martin Luther King Jr.
(b) W. E. B. Du Bois.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) Malcolm X.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste," what "was the device employed to protect the institution of slavery and the political power of slaveholding states" when the Constitution was written?
2. In 1997, the Pentagon handed over how many pieces of military equipment to local police departments?
3. What Supreme Court Justice said of the Florida v. Bostick case that "the basis of the decision to single out particular passengers during a suspicionless sweep is less likely to be inarticulate than unspeakable"?
4. When were Michael Whren and James Brown stopped by plainclothes officers and searched?
5. When did the American Civil War begin?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)