|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2: "The Lockdown".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Supreme Court Justice dissented on the ruling in Terry v. Ohio?
(a) Justice Blackmon.
(b) Justice Douglas.
(c) Justice Woodward.
(d) Justice Bennett.
2. Approximately how many people have been arrested for drug offenses since the drug war began, according to the author in Chapter 2: "The Lockdown"?
(a) About 20 million.
(b) Over 35 million.
(c) About 10 million.
(d) Over 31 million.
3. When was the ruling in Florida v. Bostick decided?
4. Who described The Strange Career of Jim Crow as the "historical bible of the Civil Rights Movement"?
(a) Frederick Douglass.
(b) Martin Luther King Jr.
(c) W. E. B. Du Bois.
(d) Malcolm X.
5. In 1997, the Pentagon handed over how many pieces of military equipment to local police departments?
(a) Over 1.6 million.
(b) About 3 million.
(c) Over 1.2 million.
(d) Over 1.8 million.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is the following quote that opens Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste" attributed: "The slave went free; stood a brief moment in the sun; then moved back again toward slavery"?
2. What years comprised the Reconstruction Era?
3. The author states in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste," "Any candid observer of American racial history must acknowledge that racism is highly" what?
4. What are the three major racialized systems of control adopted by the United States toward African Americans, according to the author in the Introduction?
5. What Constitutional Amendment prohibits states from denying citizens due process and "equal protection of the law"?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)