|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Nathaniel Bacon live as a property owner?
(a) Jamestown, Virginia.
(b) Province of New Jersey.
(c) Roanoke, Virginia.
2. During the time she worked at the ACLU, Michelle Alexander's focus shifted from employment discrimination to what focus?
(a) Affirmative action.
(b) Tax reform.
(c) Criminal justice reform.
(d) Education reform.
3. Where was the conflict labor camp the Parchman Farm established?
4. Why is Jarvious Cotton unable to vote, according to the author in the Introduction?
(a) He is illiterate.
(b) He is unable to pay poll taxes.
(c) He is a slave.
(d) He is a felon.
5. What was the dominant means of securing cheap labor in the early colonial period in America, according to the author in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste"?
(a) Indentured servitude.
(b) Native American slavery.
(c) White slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What years comprised the Reconstruction Era?
2. What does "caste" refer to?
3. What question does the author say the book explores in Chapter 1?
4. Who described The Strange Career of Jim Crow as the "historical bible of the Civil Rights Movement"?
5. What group of people is the focus of The New Jim Crow, according to the author in her Introduction?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)