|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states in her Introduction, "Conversations about class are resisted in part because there is a tendency to imagine that one's class reflects upon" what?
(a) One's history."
(b) "One's income."
(c) "One's race."
(d) "One's character."
2. In her Introduction, the author writes, "The impact of the drug war has been astounding. In less than 30 years, the U.S penal population exploded from around 300,000 to" how many?
(a) "More than 3 million."
(b) "More than 2 million."
(c) "Nearly 1.5 million."
(d) "Almost 1 million."
3. When was The Strange Career of Jim Crow published?
4. Where did crack cocaine first emerge in poor black neighborhoods in the United States before spreading elsewhere?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) New York.
5. When did California pass Proposition 184, the Three Strikes Law?
Short Answer Questions
1. What U.S. Constitutional Amendment provided that the right to vote should not be denied on account of race?
2. The author asserts in the Introduction that one in how many young African American men are currently under the control of the criminal justice system--in prison, in jail, on probation, or on parole?
3. Where did Nathaniel Bacon live as a property owner?
4. The author states in Chapter 1: "The Rebirth of Caste," "Any candid observer of American racial history must acknowledge that racism is highly" what?
5. What Constitutional Amendment prohibits states from denying citizens due process and "equal protection of the law"?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)