|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
2. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
3. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
4. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
5. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
Essay Topic 1
How did the frontier resolve the tension between pastoralism and industrialism? How did it make the tension worse?
Essay Topic 2
How does Marx define the term pastoral ideology, and how does he describe the terms' uses? What uses does the term have, if it can be used for everything from social activities to government policies to literary themes? Is pastoralism always the same phenomena, or is it different depending on its application?
Essay Topic 3
The Bible is frequently cited as a source for the colonists' belief that they had reached a promised land where they had to have dominion and make a city on the hill, a garden out of the wilderness. Trace one biblical imperative through a few works of pastoral ideal. How does the biblical idea express itself in different works?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)