|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
2. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
3. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
4. Who does Marx say will *not* contribute to reversing the trend toward urbanization and industrialization?
5. What kinds of machines especially did Americans welcome at the end of the 18th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
2. How would you describe the genre shift at the end of 'The Machine in the Garden'?
3. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
4. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
5. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
6. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
7. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
8. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
9. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
10. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review of Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'. What did Marx set out to do in the book, and how did he do it? Did he accomplish his goals? Did he fulfill all his promises? Did he leave questions unanswered? Were there problems or contradictions in the work that undermined it?
Essay Topic 2
Which literary forms are most appropriate to the pastoral life, poetry, fiction or the non-fiction essays like Emerson and Thoreau wrote? Is there a literature form that corresponds to experience?
Essay Topic 3
Utopia means 'the good place' and 'no place'. How does this paradox relate to the pastoral ideal? Is pastoralism ultimately Utopian? What are the differences between Utopianism and pastoralism?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)