|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
2. Which industry has Marx talked most about, in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
3. What else does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
4. How would you classify Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'?
5. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
2. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
3. What does Marx say the ship Pequod symbolizes in Melville's Moby Dick?
4. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
5. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
6. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
7. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
8. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
9. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
10. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do women experience the pastoral ideal? Are men's and women's experiences of nature and the simple life different? What is it in male or female nature or in Western culture that accounts for the difference?
Essay Topic 2
Is there an essential pastoralism, or is each person's or culture's pastoralism unique to its own context? Does the similarity of symbols and associations apply in every time and case? Read one of the stories or novels Marx analyzes, to see how the pastoral themes might be unique to the individual work.
Essay Topic 3
Write a review of Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'. What did Marx set out to do in the book, and how did he do it? Did he accomplish his goals? Did he fulfill all his promises? Did he leave questions unanswered? Were there problems or contradictions in the work that undermined it?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)