|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
2. How did Emerson portray nature?
3. How would you describe Marx's book 'The Machine in the Garden'?
4. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
5. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
2. How would you describe the genre shift at the end of 'The Machine in the Garden'?
3. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
4. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
5. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
6. How does Marx characterize the modern response to pastoralism?
7. What were the roles of men of understanding and men of reason in Emerson's vision?
8. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
9. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
10. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there an essential pastoralism, or is each person's or culture's pastoralism unique to its own context? Does the similarity of symbols and associations apply in every time and case? Read one of the stories or novels Marx analyzes, to see how the pastoral themes might be unique to the individual work.
Essay Topic 2
What part of human nature are people like Shakespeare's Gonzalo or Thoreau or Huckleberry Finn trying to escape from in nature? Where in pastoral literature is that trait accounted for?
Essay Topic 3
How did the frontier resolve the tension between pastoralism and industrialism? How did it make the tension worse?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)