|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
2. Who does Marx offer as examples of 'complex pastoralism' in America literature?
3. What does our continued faith in the pastoral society preserve, in Marx's description?
4. How does Marx predict the trend toward urbanization and industrialization will be reversed?
5. What defines complex pastoralism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
2. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
3. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
4. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
5. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
6. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
7. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
8. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
9. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
10. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that there was ever a 'good place in nature' or is this concept itself a nostalgic imposition on the experience of loss, and the acquisition of civilization?
Essay Topic 2
In Notes on Virginia, Jefferson argues for keeping the factories in Europe. What role did pastoralism play in American nationalism, and how did it distinguish America from Europe? How was American pastoralism different than European pastoralism?
Essay Topic 3
How does race factor into the experience of America pastoralism? What role did the Africans, slaves, and Native Americans have in the landscape? Was race a taint? (Was race a taint for whites as well?) Were they just emblems of nature to be treated like any other natural resource, or did pastoralism extend to the possibility of black white and red men running the earth in common?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)