|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
2. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
3. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
4. What did Thoreau conclude as a result of his time at Walden?
5. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the roles of men of understanding and men of reason in Emerson's vision?
2. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
3. How would you describe the genre shift at the end of 'The Machine in the Garden'?
4. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
5. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
6. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
7. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
8. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
9. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
10. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research Utopian communities in America--from Brook Farm to Fruitlands to Fourierian and Owensian communes to contemporary Utopian communities. Are these places living out the pastoral ideal?
Essay Topic 2
Read the dialogue between Tityrus and Meliboeus in Virgil's Eclogues, and describe what makes American pastoralism uniquely American. Is pastoralism really an eternal theme in civilized culture, or is there a uniquely American strain to it?
Essay Topic 3
Is pastoralism a state of tension between nature and family on one hand and civilization on the other--is it something open-ended and eternal--or is it a goal, a way of life that can be lived if the right balances can be struck? What forces tend toward that balance? What forces tend to disturb or prevent it?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)