|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
2. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
3. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
4. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
5. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
2. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
3. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
4. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
5. What does Marx say the ship Pequod symbolizes in Melville's Moby Dick?
6. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
7. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
8. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
9. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
10. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the frontier resolve the tension between pastoralism and industrialism? How did it make the tension worse?
Essay Topic 2
Is there an essential pastoralism, or is each person's or culture's pastoralism unique to its own context? Does the similarity of symbols and associations apply in every time and case? Read one of the stories or novels Marx analyzes, to see how the pastoral themes might be unique to the individual work.
Essay Topic 3
What is the value of farming today? What ideological value does the small farm have? What is the reality of farming--is it agribusiness, or are small farms making a comeback? What forces are affecting the shape of farms in America? Is this a result of shifts in American pastoral ideology, or is it driving a new kind of pastoral ideology?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)