|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of society was America (in the time of Marx's writing)?
2. How do modern authors, Marx included, tend to feel about preserving nature in an industrial world?
3. Who does Marx say will *not* contribute to reversing the trend toward urbanization and industrialization?
4. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
5. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
2. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
3. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
4. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
5. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
6. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
7. What is complex pastoral ideology, and where does Marx see it in evidence?
8. What does Marx say the ship Pequod symbolizes in Melville's Moby Dick?
9. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
10. How does Marx characterize the modern response to pastoralism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the value of farming today? What ideological value does the small farm have? What is the reality of farming--is it agribusiness, or are small farms making a comeback? What forces are affecting the shape of farms in America? Is this a result of shifts in American pastoral ideology, or is it driving a new kind of pastoral ideology?
Essay Topic 2
How did the frontier resolve the tension between pastoralism and industrialism? How did it make the tension worse?
Essay Topic 3
How does race factor into the experience of America pastoralism? What role did the Africans, slaves, and Native Americans have in the landscape? Was race a taint? (Was race a taint for whites as well?) Were they just emblems of nature to be treated like any other natural resource, or did pastoralism extend to the possibility of black white and red men running the earth in common?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)