|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forces have led to the urbanization and industrialization Marx describes?
2. How did Melville describe whaling?
3. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
4. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
5. What conclusion about technology does the narrator reach at the end of Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
2. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
3. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
4. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
5. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
6. How would you describe the genre shift at the end of 'The Machine in the Garden'?
7. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
8. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
9. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
10. What is complex pastoral ideology, and where does Marx see it in evidence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that there was ever a 'good place in nature' or is this concept itself a nostalgic imposition on the experience of loss, and the acquisition of civilization?
Essay Topic 2
Write a review of Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'. What did Marx set out to do in the book, and how did he do it? Did he accomplish his goals? Did he fulfill all his promises? Did he leave questions unanswered? Were there problems or contradictions in the work that undermined it?
Essay Topic 3
Research Utopian communities in America--from Brook Farm to Fruitlands to Fourierian and Owensian communes to contemporary Utopian communities. Are these places living out the pastoral ideal?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)