|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
2. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
3. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
4. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
5. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
2. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
3. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
4. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
5. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
6. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
7. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
8. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
9. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
10. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the frontier resolve the tension between pastoralism and industrialism? How did it make the tension worse?
Essay Topic 2
How does race factor into the experience of America pastoralism? What role did the Africans, slaves, and Native Americans have in the landscape? Was race a taint? (Was race a taint for whites as well?) Were they just emblems of nature to be treated like any other natural resource, or did pastoralism extend to the possibility of black white and red men running the earth in common?
Essay Topic 3
How does Marx define the term pastoral ideology, and how does he describe the terms' uses? What uses does the term have, if it can be used for everything from social activities to government policies to literary themes? Is pastoralism always the same phenomena, or is it different depending on its application?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)