|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of man remained free of industrialism, in Carlyle's view?
2. What does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
3. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
4. What dangers were writers warning about as America urbanized?
5. What does the ocean symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
2. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
3. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
4. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
5. How does Marx characterize the modern response to pastoralism?
6. What were the roles of men of understanding and men of reason in Emerson's vision?
7. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
8. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
9. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
10. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the value of farming today? What ideological value does the small farm have? What is the reality of farming--is it agribusiness, or are small farms making a comeback? What forces are affecting the shape of farms in America? Is this a result of shifts in American pastoral ideology, or is it driving a new kind of pastoral ideology?
Essay Topic 2
Utopia means 'the good place' and 'no place'. How does this paradox relate to the pastoral ideal? Is pastoralism ultimately Utopian? What are the differences between Utopianism and pastoralism?
Essay Topic 3
Which literary forms are most appropriate to the pastoral life, poetry, fiction or the non-fiction essays like Emerson and Thoreau wrote? Is there a literature form that corresponds to experience?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)