|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did nature continue to redeem individuals in pastoral ideology?
2. What does modern man hope for, in spite of industrialism?
3. What modern problem does Marx take as emblematic of man's treatment of nature?
4. What do complex pastoralists recognize, in Marx's account?
5. What did Thoreau conclude as a result of his time at Walden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Bible is frequently cited as a source for the colonists' belief that they had reached a promised land where they had to have dominion and make a city on the hill, a garden out of the wilderness. Trace one biblical imperative through a few works of pastoral ideal. How does the biblical idea express itself in different works?
Essay Topic 2
How do women experience the pastoral ideal? Are men's and women's experiences of nature and the simple life different? What is it in male or female nature or in Western culture that accounts for the difference?
Essay Topic 3
How does Marx define the term pastoral ideology, and how does he describe the terms' uses? What uses does the term have, if it can be used for everything from social activities to government policies to literary themes? Is pastoralism always the same phenomena, or is it different depending on its application?
This section contains 1,156 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)