|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term describes the title of Marx's epilogue?
2. Which industry has Marx talked most about, in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
3. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
4. How does Marx characterize man's hopes for nature?
5. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
2. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
3. What is complex pastoral ideology, and where does Marx see it in evidence?
4. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
5. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
6. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
7. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
8. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
9. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
10. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research Utopian communities in America--from Brook Farm to Fruitlands to Fourierian and Owensian communes to contemporary Utopian communities. Are these places living out the pastoral ideal?
Essay Topic 2
What part of human nature are people like Shakespeare's Gonzalo or Thoreau or Huckleberry Finn trying to escape from in nature? Where in pastoral literature is that trait accounted for?
Essay Topic 3
Is there an essential pastoralism, or is each person's or culture's pastoralism unique to its own context? Does the similarity of symbols and associations apply in every time and case? Read one of the stories or novels Marx analyzes, to see how the pastoral themes might be unique to the individual work.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)