|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
2. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
3. What would manufacturing do for America, in Coxe's estimation?
4. What did Thoreau conclude as a result of his time at Walden?
5. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
2. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
3. How does Marx characterize the modern response to pastoralism?
4. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
5. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
6. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
7. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
8. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
9. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
10. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Manufacturing was both an evil and a source of national strength in the 18th century. How did manufacturing change the idea of industrialism, and did the acquisition of manufacturing strength redeem the loss of natural land? Who argued that it did? Who argued that it did not?
Essay Topic 2
Utopia means 'the good place' and 'no place'. How does this paradox relate to the pastoral ideal? Is pastoralism ultimately Utopian? What are the differences between Utopianism and pastoralism?
Essay Topic 3
Which literary forms are most appropriate to the pastoral life, poetry, fiction or the non-fiction essays like Emerson and Thoreau wrote? Is there a literature form that corresponds to experience?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)