|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
2. Which industry has Marx talked most about, in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
3. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
4. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
5. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
2. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
3. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
4. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
5. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
6. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
7. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
8. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
9. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
10. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Notes on Virginia, Jefferson argues for keeping the factories in Europe. What role did pastoralism play in American nationalism, and how did it distinguish America from Europe? How was American pastoralism different than European pastoralism?
Essay Topic 2
Which literary forms are most appropriate to the pastoral life, poetry, fiction or the non-fiction essays like Emerson and Thoreau wrote? Is there a literature form that corresponds to experience?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that there was ever a 'good place in nature' or is this concept itself a nostalgic imposition on the experience of loss, and the acquisition of civilization?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)