|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do modern authors, Marx included, tend to feel about preserving nature in an industrial world?
2. What does Marx say about modern farming (in the time of his writing this book)?
3. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
4. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
5. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
Essay Topic 1
Write a review of Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'. What did Marx set out to do in the book, and how did he do it? Did he accomplish his goals? Did he fulfill all his promises? Did he leave questions unanswered? Were there problems or contradictions in the work that undermined it?
Essay Topic 2
How did the frontier resolve the tension between pastoralism and industrialism? How did it make the tension worse?
Essay Topic 3
In Notes on Virginia, Jefferson argues for keeping the factories in Europe. What role did pastoralism play in American nationalism, and how did it distinguish America from Europe? How was American pastoralism different than European pastoralism?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)