Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
2. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
3. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
4. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
5. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
Essay Topic 1
How do women experience the pastoral ideal? Are men's and women's experiences of nature and the simple life different? What is it in male or female nature or in Western culture that accounts for the difference?
Essay Topic 2
Utopia means 'the good place' and 'no place'. How does this paradox relate to the pastoral ideal? Is pastoralism ultimately Utopian? What are the differences between Utopianism and pastoralism?
Essay Topic 3
Which literary forms are most appropriate to the pastoral life, poetry, fiction or the non-fiction essays like Emerson and Thoreau wrote? Is there a literature form that corresponds to experience?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)