|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
2. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
3. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
4. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
5. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
2. How would you describe the genre shift at the end of 'The Machine in the Garden'?
3. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
4. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
5. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
6. How did Ralph Waldo Emerson see nature?
7. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
8. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
9. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
10. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review of Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'. What did Marx set out to do in the book, and how did he do it? Did he accomplish his goals? Did he fulfill all his promises? Did he leave questions unanswered? Were there problems or contradictions in the work that undermined it?
Essay Topic 2
How do women experience the pastoral ideal? Are men's and women's experiences of nature and the simple life different? What is it in male or female nature or in Western culture that accounts for the difference?
Essay Topic 3
How does race factor into the experience of America pastoralism? What role did the Africans, slaves, and Native Americans have in the landscape? Was race a taint? (Was race a taint for whites as well?) Were they just emblems of nature to be treated like any other natural resource, or did pastoralism extend to the possibility of black white and red men running the earth in common?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)