Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
2. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
3. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
4. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
5. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
Do you think that there was ever a 'good place in nature' or is this concept itself a nostalgic imposition on the experience of loss, and the acquisition of civilization?
How did the frontier resolve the tension between pastoralism and industrialism? How did it make the tension worse?
Is there an essential pastoralism, or is each person's or culture's pastoralism unique to its own context? Does the similarity of symbols and associations apply in every time and case? Read one of the stories or novels Marx analyzes, to see how the pastoral themes might be unique to the individual work.
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)