|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
4. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
5. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the consequence of the pastoral ideal?
2. What is complex pastoral ideology?
3. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought by the time of Jefferson?
4. How did Shakespeare's characters describe the ideal society?
5. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
6. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
7. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
8. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
9. How did colonists see America?
10. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which literary forms are most appropriate to the pastoral life, poetry, fiction or the non-fiction essays like Emerson and Thoreau wrote? Is there a literature form that corresponds to experience?
Essay Topic 2
What is the value of farming today? What ideological value does the small farm have? What is the reality of farming--is it agribusiness, or are small farms making a comeback? What forces are affecting the shape of farms in America? Is this a result of shifts in American pastoral ideology, or is it driving a new kind of pastoral ideology?
Essay Topic 3
From driving to National Parks, or seeing wildlife in zoos or managing environments for the sake of wildfires or endangered species, Americans seem to be able to reconcile a high level of science and industry with a high sense of nature and pristineness. What arts or cultural developments have allowed Americans to endure the paradoxes of their industrial lifestyles?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)