|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
2. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
3. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
4. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
5. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
2. What is the pastoral ideal?
3. What contradiction marks the early accounts of the New World, according to Marx?
4. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
5. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
6. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
7. What discovery does Marx say we find in Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
8. What view typified the opposite of the bountiful-Edenic image of the New World?
9. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
10. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Utopia means 'the good place' and 'no place'. How does this paradox relate to the pastoral ideal? Is pastoralism ultimately Utopian? What are the differences between Utopianism and pastoralism?
Essay Topic 2
How does Marx define the term pastoral ideology, and how does he describe the terms' uses? What uses does the term have, if it can be used for everything from social activities to government policies to literary themes? Is pastoralism always the same phenomena, or is it different depending on its application?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that there was ever a 'good place in nature' or is this concept itself a nostalgic imposition on the experience of loss, and the acquisition of civilization?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)