|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
2. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
4. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
5. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
2. How does Marx describe the value of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
3. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
4. How did colonists see America?
5. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
6. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
7. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
8. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
9. Why was Beverly ultimately disappointed in the New World?
10. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do women experience the pastoral ideal? Are men's and women's experiences of nature and the simple life different? What is it in male or female nature or in Western culture that accounts for the difference?
Essay Topic 2
Utopia means 'the good place' and 'no place'. How does this paradox relate to the pastoral ideal? Is pastoralism ultimately Utopian? What are the differences between Utopianism and pastoralism?
Essay Topic 3
Write a review of Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'. What did Marx set out to do in the book, and how did he do it? Did he accomplish his goals? Did he fulfill all his promises? Did he leave questions unanswered? Were there problems or contradictions in the work that undermined it?
This section contains 1,502 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)