|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
2. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
3. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
4. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
5. What did colonists find in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shakespeare demonstrate the impossibility of the pastoral ideal?
2. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
3. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
4. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
5. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
6. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
7. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
8. How did colonists see America?
9. What is the pastoral ideal?
10. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Utopia means 'the good place' and 'no place'. How does this paradox relate to the pastoral ideal? Is pastoralism ultimately Utopian? What are the differences between Utopianism and pastoralism?
Essay Topic 2
Manufacturing was both an evil and a source of national strength in the 18th century. How did manufacturing change the idea of industrialism, and did the acquisition of manufacturing strength redeem the loss of natural land? Who argued that it did? Who argued that it did not?
Essay Topic 3
What is the value of farming today? What ideological value does the small farm have? What is the reality of farming--is it agribusiness, or are small farms making a comeback? What forces are affecting the shape of farms in America? Is this a result of shifts in American pastoral ideology, or is it driving a new kind of pastoral ideology?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)