|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
2. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
3. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
4. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
5. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
2. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What ideal does the conclusion to Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' suggest, in Marx's interpretation?
4. What is complex pastoral ideology?
5. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought by the time of Jefferson?
6. In what way does the railroad symbolize the industrial intrusion into a pastoral idyll?
7. What is the pastoral ideal?
8. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
9. How does Marx describe the ambiguity of existence Beverly hit on?
10. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the value of farming today? What ideological value does the small farm have? What is the reality of farming--is it agribusiness, or are small farms making a comeback? What forces are affecting the shape of farms in America? Is this a result of shifts in American pastoral ideology, or is it driving a new kind of pastoral ideology?
Essay Topic 2
How did the frontier resolve the tension between pastoralism and industrialism? How did it make the tension worse?
Essay Topic 3
Utopia means 'the good place' and 'no place'. How does this paradox relate to the pastoral ideal? Is pastoralism ultimately Utopian? What are the differences between Utopianism and pastoralism?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)