|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
2. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
3. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
4. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
5. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
2. How did Shakespeare's characters describe the ideal society?
3. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
4. In what way does the railroad symbolize the industrial intrusion into a pastoral idyll?
5. What ideal does the conclusion to Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' suggest, in Marx's interpretation?
6. What is the pastoral ideal?
7. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought by the time of Jefferson?
8. What is the consequence of the pastoral ideal?
9. What is complex pastoral ideology?
10. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What part of human nature are people like Shakespeare's Gonzalo or Thoreau or Huckleberry Finn trying to escape from in nature? Where in pastoral literature is that trait accounted for?
Essay Topic 2
How does race factor into the experience of America pastoralism? What role did the Africans, slaves, and Native Americans have in the landscape? Was race a taint? (Was race a taint for whites as well?) Were they just emblems of nature to be treated like any other natural resource, or did pastoralism extend to the possibility of black white and red men running the earth in common?
Essay Topic 3
How do women experience the pastoral ideal? Are men's and women's experiences of nature and the simple life different? What is it in male or female nature or in Western culture that accounts for the difference?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)