|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
2. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
3. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
4. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
5. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
2. How did colonists see America?
3. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
4. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
5. How does Shakespeare demonstrate the impossibility of the pastoral ideal?
6. What characters does Marx cite as examples of people who have gone through those three stages?
7. How did Jefferson change his view on industrialism?
8. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
9. How did Shakespeare's characters describe the ideal society?
10. How does Marx describe the ambiguity of existence Beverly hit on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review of Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'. What did Marx set out to do in the book, and how did he do it? Did he accomplish his goals? Did he fulfill all his promises? Did he leave questions unanswered? Were there problems or contradictions in the work that undermined it?
Essay Topic 2
What part of human nature are people like Shakespeare's Gonzalo or Thoreau or Huckleberry Finn trying to escape from in nature? Where in pastoral literature is that trait accounted for?
Essay Topic 3
Read the dialogue between Tityrus and Meliboeus in Virgil's Eclogues, and describe what makes American pastoralism uniquely American. Is pastoralism really an eternal theme in civilized culture, or is there a uniquely American strain to it?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)