|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
2. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
4. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
5. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marx describe the value of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
2. What is the pastoral ideal?
3. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
4. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
5. In what way does the railroad symbolize the industrial intrusion into a pastoral idyll?
6. How did Jefferson change his view on industrialism?
7. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
8. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
9. What is the consequence of the pastoral ideal?
10. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read the dialogue between Tityrus and Meliboeus in Virgil's Eclogues, and describe what makes American pastoralism uniquely American. Is pastoralism really an eternal theme in civilized culture, or is there a uniquely American strain to it?
Essay Topic 2
What part of human nature are people like Shakespeare's Gonzalo or Thoreau or Huckleberry Finn trying to escape from in nature? Where in pastoral literature is that trait accounted for?
Essay Topic 3
From driving to National Parks, or seeing wildlife in zoos or managing environments for the sake of wildfires or endangered species, Americans seem to be able to reconcile a high level of science and industry with a high sense of nature and pristineness. What arts or cultural developments have allowed Americans to endure the paradoxes of their industrial lifestyles?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)