|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
2. What did Beverly describe changing in the New World as a result of European settlement?
3. When did the assault on American pastoralism begin, in Marx's account?
4. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
5. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the pastoral ideal?
2. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
3. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
4. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
5. What ideal does the conclusion to Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' suggest, in Marx's interpretation?
6. What is complex pastoral ideology?
7. What is the consequence of the pastoral ideal?
8. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
9. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
10. How does Marx describe the ambiguity of existence Beverly hit on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does race factor into the experience of America pastoralism? What role did the Africans, slaves, and Native Americans have in the landscape? Was race a taint? (Was race a taint for whites as well?) Were they just emblems of nature to be treated like any other natural resource, or did pastoralism extend to the possibility of black white and red men running the earth in common?
Essay Topic 2
How did the frontier resolve the tension between pastoralism and industrialism? How did it make the tension worse?
Essay Topic 3
Read the dialogue between Tityrus and Meliboeus in Virgil's Eclogues, and describe what makes American pastoralism uniquely American. Is pastoralism really an eternal theme in civilized culture, or is there a uniquely American strain to it?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)