Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
2. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
3. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
4. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
5. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
2. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
3. What view typified the opposite of the bountiful-Edenic image of the New World?
4. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
5. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
6. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
7. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
8. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
9. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
10. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
Essay Topic 1
How does race factor into the experience of America pastoralism? What role did the Africans, slaves, and Native Americans have in the landscape? Was race a taint? (Was race a taint for whites as well?) Were they just emblems of nature to be treated like any other natural resource, or did pastoralism extend to the possibility of black white and red men running the earth in common?
Essay Topic 2
How do women experience the pastoral ideal? Are men's and women's experiences of nature and the simple life different? What is it in male or female nature or in Western culture that accounts for the difference?
Essay Topic 3
Utopia means 'the good place' and 'no place'. How does this paradox relate to the pastoral ideal? Is pastoralism ultimately Utopian? What are the differences between Utopianism and pastoralism?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)