|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
2. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
3. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
4. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
5. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
2. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
3. What view typified the opposite of the bountiful-Edenic image of the New World?
4. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
5. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
6. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
7. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
8. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
9. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
10. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
Essay Topic 1
What part of human nature are people like Shakespeare's Gonzalo or Thoreau or Huckleberry Finn trying to escape from in nature? Where in pastoral literature is that trait accounted for?
Essay Topic 2
How does Marx define the term pastoral ideology, and how does he describe the terms' uses? What uses does the term have, if it can be used for everything from social activities to government policies to literary themes? Is pastoralism always the same phenomena, or is it different depending on its application?
Essay Topic 3
Manufacturing was both an evil and a source of national strength in the 18th century. How did manufacturing change the idea of industrialism, and did the acquisition of manufacturing strength redeem the loss of natural land? Who argued that it did? Who argued that it did not?
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)