|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
2. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
3. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
4. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
5. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
2. How did Jefferson change his view on industrialism?
3. What are the three spatial stages a person goes through in pastoral ideal?
4. Why was Beverly ultimately disappointed in the New World?
5. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
6. What ideal does the conclusion to Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' suggest, in Marx's interpretation?
7. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
8. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought by the time of Jefferson?
9. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
10. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review of Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'. What did Marx set out to do in the book, and how did he do it? Did he accomplish his goals? Did he fulfill all his promises? Did he leave questions unanswered? Were there problems or contradictions in the work that undermined it?
Essay Topic 2
Manufacturing was both an evil and a source of national strength in the 18th century. How did manufacturing change the idea of industrialism, and did the acquisition of manufacturing strength redeem the loss of natural land? Who argued that it did? Who argued that it did not?
Essay Topic 3
Research Utopian communities in America--from Brook Farm to Fruitlands to Fourierian and Owensian communes to contemporary Utopian communities. Are these places living out the pastoral ideal?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)