|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
2. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
3. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
4. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
2. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
3. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
4. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
5. How did colonists see America?
6. What is the pastoral ideal?
7. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
8. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
9. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
10. What view typified the opposite of the bountiful-Edenic image of the New World?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do women experience the pastoral ideal? Are men's and women's experiences of nature and the simple life different? What is it in male or female nature or in Western culture that accounts for the difference?
Essay Topic 2
What is the value of farming today? What ideological value does the small farm have? What is the reality of farming--is it agribusiness, or are small farms making a comeback? What forces are affecting the shape of farms in America? Is this a result of shifts in American pastoral ideology, or is it driving a new kind of pastoral ideology?
Essay Topic 3
What part of human nature are people like Shakespeare's Gonzalo or Thoreau or Huckleberry Finn trying to escape from in nature? Where in pastoral literature is that trait accounted for?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)