|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
2. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
3. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
4. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
5. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the consequence of the pastoral ideal?
2. How does Shakespeare demonstrate the impossibility of the pastoral ideal?
3. What is the pastoral ideal?
4. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
5. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
6. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
7. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
8. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought by the time of Jefferson?
9. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
10. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which literary forms are most appropriate to the pastoral life, poetry, fiction or the non-fiction essays like Emerson and Thoreau wrote? Is there a literature form that corresponds to experience?
Essay Topic 2
What part of human nature are people like Shakespeare's Gonzalo or Thoreau or Huckleberry Finn trying to escape from in nature? Where in pastoral literature is that trait accounted for?
Essay Topic 3
What is the value of farming today? What ideological value does the small farm have? What is the reality of farming--is it agribusiness, or are small farms making a comeback? What forces are affecting the shape of farms in America? Is this a result of shifts in American pastoral ideology, or is it driving a new kind of pastoral ideology?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)