|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
2. Who does Marx offer as examples of 'complex pastoralism' in America literature?
(a) Dos Passos and Hurston.
(b) Eliot and Pound.
(c) Salinger and Bukowski.
(d) Fitzgerald and Faulkner.
3. What forces have led to the urbanization and industrialization Marx describes?
(a) Wars and military campaigns.
(b) Literature and mythology.
(c) Markets and technology.
(d) Science and legal incentives.
4. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Rejection of industry.
(b) Urbanization of nature.
(c) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
(d) Domestication of nature.
5. How would you describe Marx's book 'The Machine in the Garden'?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
2. What effect did Carlyle say industrialism would have?
3. What is Marx's tone throughout 'The Machine in the Garden'?
4. What kinds of machines especially did Americans welcome at the end of the 18th century?
5. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)