|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Marx offer as examples of 'complex pastoralism' in America literature?
(a) Dos Passos and Hurston.
(b) Eliot and Pound.
(c) Salinger and Bukowski.
(d) Fitzgerald and Faulkner.
2. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
3. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Domestication of nature.
(b) Urbanization of nature.
(c) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
(d) Rejection of industry.
4. Which term describes the title of Marx's epilogue?
5. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
(a) The east's factories were a given, but they were balanced by the agrarian west.
(b) The east was producing literature, the west was producing science.
(c) The east was bringing civilization to the wild west.
(d) The east's industry was destroying everything as it moved west.
Short Answer Questions
1. What structures does Marx use as examples of how modern man mistreats nature?
2. What dangers were writers warning about as America urbanized?
3. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
4. How would you describe Marx's book 'The Machine in the Garden'?
5. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
2. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
3. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
4. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
5. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
6. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
7. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
8. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
9. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
10. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)