|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
(a) Knowing the wild spirit of nature.
(b) Losing familiarity with the whole.
(c) Knowing the deep inter-connectedness of things.
(d) Feeling free of society.
2. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(b) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
(c) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(d) Man had become a slave to his tools.
3. What did Daniel Webster believe the railroad would do for America?
(a) Corrupt the youth.
(b) Unify the people.
(c) Destroy the traditions.
(d) Terrify the livestock.
4. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) It spreads light into the wilderness.
(b) It brings religion to people.
(c) It drives factories and great productivity.
(d) It destroys an everyman.
5. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Technology has progressed beyond steamboats.
(b) Man is alone in the river of life.
(c) Hiding from society is impossible.
(d) Fleeing from the law is dangerous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
2. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
3. What is Huck Finn lamenting at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn?
4. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
5. What do complex pastoralists recognize, in Marx's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
2. How would you describe the genre shift at the end of 'The Machine in the Garden'?
3. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
4. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
5. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
6. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
7. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
8. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
9. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
10. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)