|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did Carlyle say industrialism would have?
(a) Disrupting the continuity of societies with mobility.
(b) Corrupting the youth with dreams of individualism.
(c) Poisoning the rivers and water.
(d) Increasing the gap between rich and poor.
2. What feature of modern society came into existence with American industrialism?
(b) Laissez-fair class structure.
(c) Strikes and riots.
(d) Total warfare.
3. What does modern man hope for, in spite of industrialism?
(a) Reform for pollution.
(b) Limits on pollution.
(c) Greater and greater resource use.
(d) Cooperation with nature.
4. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
(a) Nostalgia for the old days on the Mississippi.
(b) Fear about the consequences of the railroad.
(c) Lamentation about the death of Indian cultures.
(d) Optimism about industrial expansion into the midwest.
5. What structures does Marx use as examples of how modern man mistreats nature?
(a) Roads and parking lots.
(b) Golf courses and cemeteries.
(c) Bridges and tunnels.
(d) Hospitals and nursing homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
2. How do modern authors, Marx included, tend to feel about preserving nature in an industrial world?
3. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
4. Who was Tench Coxe?
5. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ralph Waldo Emerson see nature?
2. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
3. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
4. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
5. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
6. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
7. How would you describe the genre shift at the end of 'The Machine in the Garden'?
8. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
9. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
10. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)