|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to the ideal of the pastoral society, in Marx's opinion?
(a) It is a token belief.
(b) It has become the rallying cry for opposition to industrial modernism.
(c) It has replaced the industrial utopia.
(d) It is a governing principle.
2. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
3. How did Emerson portray nature?
(a) As chaotic and disorganized.
(b) As a force to be overcome.
(c) As demonic.
(d) As the grand provider.
4. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
(a) He decried the disruption of nature.
(b) He protested the destruction of indigenous societies.
(c) He lamented the death of wildlife.
(d) He complained about the decline of marriage in cities.
5. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
2. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
3. What does modern man hope for, in spite of industrialism?
4. What modern problem does Marx take as emblematic of man's treatment of nature?
5. What type of society was America (in the time of Marx's writing)?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
2. What were the roles of men of understanding and men of reason in Emerson's vision?
3. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
4. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
5. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
6. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
7. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
8. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
9. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
10. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)