|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What modern problem does Marx take as emblematic of man's treatment of nature?
(b) Industrial agriculture.
2. What defines complex pastoralism?
(a) Refusal to let sentimental pastoralism lapse.
(b) Redemption of the alienation that comes from industrial modernity.
(c) Industrial machinery fostering nature.
(d) Acceptance of history.
3. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
(a) A destructive god.
(b) A rural ideal.
(c) Corrupt men.
(d) Powerless men.
4. How did Emerson portray nature?
(a) As demonic.
(b) As a force to be overcome.
(c) As chaotic and disorganized.
(d) As the grand provider.
5. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Study the ruthless ways of men.
(b) Oppose industrialism.
(c) Learn the ways of the animals.
(d) Contemplate eternal laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say about modern farming (in the time of his writing this book)?
2. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
3. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
4. What is Marx's tone throughout 'The Machine in the Garden'?
5. Who does Marx say will *not* contribute to reversing the trend toward urbanization and industrialization?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
2. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
3. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
4. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
5. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
6. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
7. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
8. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
9. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
10. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)