|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
(a) Unhappy in factories.
(b) Torn apart by his desires.
(c) Poised at the boundary between nature and industry.
(d) Free in the wilderness.
2. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(b) Man had become a slave to his tools.
(c) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(d) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
3. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
(a) Immersion in society.
(b) Immersion in science.
(c) Immersion in literature.
(d) Immersion in nature.
4. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
(a) Optimism for industry.
(b) The pastoral ideal.
(c) Hope for progress.
(d) Faith in medicine.
5. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
(a) Machine tools.
(b) Standardized parts.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) The railroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. What defines complex pastoralism?
2. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
3. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
4. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
5. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)