|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
(a) Man reveres nature but plunders it.
(b) Nature provides man with everything, and it kills him.
(c) The divine inspires and undermines man's projects.
(d) Industry provides for men and destroys them.
2. What does the ocean symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(a) Nature's danger.
(b) A provident god.
(c) Man's redemption.
(d) Man's creativity.
3. What is Huck Finn lamenting at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Tom Sawyer's punishment.
(b) His current civilized state.
(c) Jim's incarceration.
(d) His loss of his father.
4. What forces have led to the urbanization and industrialization Marx describes?
(a) Markets and technology.
(b) Science and legal incentives.
(c) Wars and military campaigns.
(d) Literature and mythology.
5. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx say modern Americans see nature?
2. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
3. What does Marx say about modern farming (in the time of his writing this book)?
4. How does Marx predict the trend toward urbanization and industrialization will be reversed?
5. What was Daniel Webster's feeling about pastoralism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
2. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
3. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
4. What does Marx say the ship Pequod symbolizes in Melville's Moby Dick?
5. What were the roles of men of understanding and men of reason in Emerson's vision?
6. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
7. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
8. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
9. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
10. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)