|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Oppose industrialism.
(b) Contemplate eternal laws.
(c) Learn the ways of the animals.
(d) Study the ruthless ways of men.
2. How would you classify Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(a) Literary criticism.
(b) Cultural criticism.
(c) Scientific study.
(d) Psychological report.
3. What does Marx say about modern farming (in the time of his writing this book)?
(a) Modern farming has freed Americans from industry.
(b) Modern farming has preserved nature while offering productive land.
(c) Modern farming has become an industry.
(d) Modern farming has returned Americans to their agrarian roots.
4. Who does Marx offer as examples of 'complex pastoralism' in America literature?
(a) Fitzgerald and Faulkner.
(b) Dos Passos and Hurston.
(c) Salinger and Bukowski.
(d) Eliot and Pound.
5. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
(a) Free in the wilderness.
(b) Poised at the boundary between nature and industry.
(c) Unhappy in factories.
(d) Torn apart by his desires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
2. What does Marx say about man's hopes for nature?
3. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
4. What skill did Twain idealize?
5. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)