|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Daniel Webster believe the railroad would do for America?
(a) Corrupt the youth.
(b) Destroy the traditions.
(c) Terrify the livestock.
(d) Unify the people.
2. What type of society was America (in the time of Marx's writing)?
3. How would you describe Marx's book 'The Machine in the Garden'?
4. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Urbanization of nature.
(b) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
(c) Rejection of industry.
(d) Domestication of nature.
5. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
2. What would manufacturing do for America, in Coxe's estimation?
3. Who was Tench Coxe?
4. What skill did Twain idealize?
5. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
2. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
3. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
4. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
5. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
6. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
7. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
8. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
9. What does Marx say the ship Pequod symbolizes in Melville's Moby Dick?
10. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)