|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(b) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(c) Man had become a slave to his tools.
(d) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
2. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
(a) Hegel and Marx.
(b) William James and John Dewey.
(c) Derrida and Foucault.
(d) Lenin and Stalin.
3. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
(a) Knowing the wild spirit of nature.
(b) Feeling free of society.
(c) Losing familiarity with the whole.
(d) Knowing the deep inter-connectedness of things.
4. What does Marx say about man's hopes for nature?
(a) They will create wars.
(b) They are realistic.
(c) They are destructive.
(d) They are just a dream.
5. How does Marx characterize man's hopes for nature?
(a) Scientific resource allocation.
(b) Realistic planning.
(c) Consensus-based resource use.
(d) Pastoral idealism.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did nature continue to redeem individuals in pastoral ideology?
2. What do complex pastoralists recognize, in Marx's account?
3. Who does Marx say will *not* contribute to reversing the trend toward urbanization and industrialization?
4. What has happened to the ideal of the pastoral society, in Marx's opinion?
5. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)