|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
(a) Knowing the wild spirit of nature.
(b) Feeling free of society.
(c) Losing familiarity with the whole.
(d) Knowing the deep inter-connectedness of things.
2. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
(a) It discourages invention.
(b) It uses only one part of him.
(c) It treats him as a commodity.
(d) It requires long hours in dark factories.
3. How does Marx predict the trend toward urbanization and industrialization will be reversed?
(a) By market changes.
(b) By popular uprisings.
(c) By resource depletion.
(d) By politics.
4. Who does Marx say will *not* contribute to reversing the trend toward urbanization and industrialization?
(d) Urban planners.
5. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Man had become a slave to his tools.
(b) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(c) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
(d) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
2. What dangers were writers warning about as America urbanized?
3. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
4. What has happened to the ideal of the pastoral society, in Marx's opinion?
5. What was Daniel Webster's take on industrialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
2. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
3. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
4. How did Ralph Waldo Emerson see nature?
5. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
6. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
7. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
8. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
9. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
10. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)