|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Emerson portray nature?
(a) As a force to be overcome.
(b) As the grand provider.
(c) As demonic.
(d) As chaotic and disorganized.
2. What do complex pastoralists recognize, in Marx's account?
(a) The need to return to nature at any cost.
(b) The need to reconcile pastoralism and industrialism.
(c) The need to integrate industrial machinery with natural processes.
(d) The need to abolish machinery.
3. What type of society was America (in the time of Marx's writing)?
4. What does Marx say about man's hopes for nature?
(a) They are destructive.
(b) They are just a dream.
(c) They are realistic.
(d) They will create wars.
5. What does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
(a) They are isolated.
(b) They are leaders.
(c) They are conservationists.
(d) They are fulfilled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
2. What conclusion about technology does the narrator reach at the end of Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
3. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
4. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
5. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
2. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
3. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
4. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
5. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
6. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
7. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
8. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
9. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
10. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)