|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) The demonic element in factories.
(b) Man's desire for progress.
(c) Chaotic forces of nature.
2. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
(a) He lamented the death of wildlife.
(b) He protested the destruction of indigenous societies.
(c) He decried the disruption of nature.
(d) He complained about the decline of marriage in cities.
3. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
(a) The east was bringing civilization to the wild west.
(b) The east was producing literature, the west was producing science.
(c) The east's factories were a given, but they were balanced by the agrarian west.
(d) The east's industry was destroying everything as it moved west.
4. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) For temporary respites.
(b) For permanent residence.
(c) On weekends.
(d) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
5. What does modern man hope for, in spite of industrialism?
(a) Limits on pollution.
(b) Cooperation with nature.
(c) Greater and greater resource use.
(d) Reform for pollution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Coxe foresee for America?
2. What has happened to the ideal of the pastoral society, in Marx's opinion?
3. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
4. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
5. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marx say the ship Pequod symbolizes in Melville's Moby Dick?
2. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
3. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
4. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
5. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
6. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
7. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
8. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
9. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
10. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)