|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) The demonic element in factories.
(b) Chaotic forces of nature.
(c) Man's desire for progress.
2. What was the general feeling about industrialism in America, as it expanded?
3. What contradiction does Marx say is Melville's true theme in Moby Dick?
(a) Man reveres nature but plunders it.
(b) The divine inspires and undermines man's projects.
(c) Industry provides for men and destroys them.
(d) Nature provides man with everything, and it kills him.
4. Which school of criticism does Marx belong to?
(a) Psychoanalytic criticism.
(b) New Historicism.
(d) New Criticism.
5. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
Short Answer Questions
1. What thinkers does Marx say followed Carlyle's critique of industrialism?
2. What feature of modern society came into existence with American industrialism?
3. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
4. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
5. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the genre shift at the end of 'The Machine in the Garden'?
2. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
3. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
4. How does Marx characterize the modern response to pastoralism?
5. What is complex pastoral ideology, and where does Marx see it in evidence?
6. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
7. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
8. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
9. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
10. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)