|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
(a) Mutual exclusivity.
(b) Cause and effect.
(d) Mutual reinforcement.
2. Which industry has Marx talked most about, in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(b) Medical devices.
3. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
(b) Domestication of nature.
(c) Urbanization of nature.
(d) Rejection of industry.
4. What is Marx's tone throughout 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(a) Analytical and pessimistic.
(b) Reverential and despairing by turns.
(c) Scientific and analytical.
(d) Optimistic and casual.
5. Who was Tench Coxe?
(a) A Philadelphia inventor and statesman.
(b) A Philadelphia merchant.
(c) A Boston statesman.
(d) A New York financier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What else does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
2. How did Emerson portray nature?
3. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
4. What structures does Marx use as examples of how modern man mistreats nature?
5. What did Thoreau conclude as a result of his time at Walden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
2. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
3. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
4. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
5. How does Marx characterize the modern response to pastoralism?
6. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
7. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
8. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
9. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
10. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)