|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
(a) The east's factories were a given, but they were balanced by the agrarian west.
(b) The east was bringing civilization to the wild west.
(c) The east's industry was destroying everything as it moved west.
(d) The east was producing literature, the west was producing science.
2. What dangers were writers warning about as America urbanized?
(a) Loss of nature.
(b) Creation of a permanently poor underclass.
(c) Decline of morals.
(d) Declining value of money.
3. What did Coxe foresee for America?
(a) The value of industrialism.
(b) The civic uses of industrialism.
(c) The danger of industrialism.
(d) How industrialism would give America strength internationally.
4. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a destruction of the landscape.
(b) As a form of progress.
(c) As a crime against Indians.
(d) As a form of corruption.
5. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
(a) It treats him as a commodity.
(b) It uses only one part of him.
(c) It discourages invention.
(d) It requires long hours in dark factories.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Emerson portray nature?
2. What did Thoreau conclude as a result of his time at Walden?
3. What structures does Marx use as examples of how modern man mistreats nature?
4. How did nature continue to redeem individuals in pastoral ideology?
5. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
2. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
3. How does Marx characterize the modern response to pastoralism?
4. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
5. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
6. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
7. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
8. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
9. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
10. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)