|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(a) Modern society.
(b) Elemental nature.
(c) Spiritual degradation.
2. How does Marx predict the trend toward urbanization and industrialization will be reversed?
(a) By politics.
(b) By resource depletion.
(c) By popular uprisings.
(d) By market changes.
3. What did Coxe foresee for America?
(a) The value of industrialism.
(b) How industrialism would give America strength internationally.
(c) The danger of industrialism.
(d) The civic uses of industrialism.
4. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
(a) To kill the white whale.
(b) To restrain Ahab.
(c) To reconcile nature and society.
(d) To save the ship.
5. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
(a) Warfare between North and South.
(b) Warfare between financiers and farmers.
(c) Class warfare.
(d) Warfare between industrial and agrarian interests.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does industrialism devalue man, in Carlyle's opinion?
2. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
3. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
4. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
5. What does Ishmael symbolize, in Marx's interpretation of Moby Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
2. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
3. What is complex pastoral ideology, and where does Marx see it in evidence?
4. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
5. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
6. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
7. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
8. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
9. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
10. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)