|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
(a) Increased literacy.
(b) Worker abuses.
(c) Longer lifespans.
(d) Decreased infant mortality rates.
2. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
3. What role has literature played in the formation of the culture Marx describes in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(a) Literature reflected the changes after they had happened.
(b) Literature spurred the developments that shaped the landscape.
(c) Literature inspired the urge to abandon farms for cities.
(d) Literature guided people as they settled the land.
4. What does modern man hope for, in spite of industrialism?
(a) Greater and greater resource use.
(b) Reform for pollution.
(c) Cooperation with nature.
(d) Limits on pollution.
5. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
(a) To save the ship.
(b) To restrain Ahab.
(c) To kill the white whale.
(d) To reconcile nature and society.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
2. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
3. What power does Marx credit government with, in reversing the trend toward urbanization and industrialization?
4. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
5. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)