|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
2. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a form of progress.
(b) As a crime against Indians.
(c) As a form of corruption.
(d) As a destruction of the landscape.
3. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
(a) Warfare between North and South.
(b) Class warfare.
(c) Warfare between industrial and agrarian interests.
(d) Warfare between financiers and farmers.
4. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
(a) Worker abuses.
(b) Longer lifespans.
(c) Increased literacy.
(d) Decreased infant mortality rates.
5. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
Short Answer Questions
1. What modern problem does Marx take as emblematic of man's treatment of nature?
2. What does Marx say about man's hopes for nature?
3. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
4. What structures does Marx use as examples of how modern man mistreats nature?
5. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
2. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
3. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
4. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
5. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
6. What were the roles of men of understanding and men of reason in Emerson's vision?
7. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
8. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
9. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
10. How would you describe the genre shift at the end of 'The Machine in the Garden'?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)