|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the American response to steam power in Britain?
(a) That it would never come to America.
(b) That it would become their great strength.
(c) That it would corrupt the youth with dreams of travel.
(d) That it would provide them cheap power.
2. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
(a) Coxe prophesied that extractive industries would ruin the landscape.
(b) Coxe predicted that industries would leave dead places in the environment when they collapsed.
(c) Coxe thought that factories would blight the landscape.
(d) Coxe thought that America's environment would make the factory a pastoral place.
3. Who does Marx offer as examples of 'complex pastoralism' in America literature?
(a) Dos Passos and Hurston.
(b) Salinger and Bukowski.
(c) Fitzgerald and Faulkner.
(d) Eliot and Pound.
4. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
(b) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(c) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(d) Man had become a slave to his tools.
5. How does Marx say modern Americans see nature?
(a) As divine.
(b) As bountiful.
(c) As sublime.
(d) As expendable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Daniel Webster's feeling about pastoralism?
2. How did Emerson portray nature?
3. What does Marx say about man's hopes for nature?
4. What effect did Carlyle say industrialism would have?
5. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
2. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
3. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
4. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
5. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
6. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
7. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
8. What does Marx say the ship Pequod symbolizes in Melville's Moby Dick?
9. What were the roles of men of understanding and men of reason in Emerson's vision?
10. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's 'The Unpardonable Sin'?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)