|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(c) Cottage industry.
(d) The trades.
2. What is Marx's tone throughout 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(a) Analytical and pessimistic.
(b) Optimistic and casual.
(c) Scientific and analytical.
(d) Reverential and despairing by turns.
3. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) For temporary respites.
(b) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
(c) On weekends.
(d) For permanent residence.
4. How do modern authors, Marx included, tend to feel about preserving nature in an industrial world?
(d) Cautiously optimistic.
5. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(b) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
(c) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(d) Man had become a slave to his tools.
Short Answer Questions
1. What percentage of Americans lived on farms (in the time of Marx's writing)?
2. Which school of criticism does Marx belong to?
3. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
4. What did Coxe foresee for America?
5. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What view does Marx ascribe to Emerson, Thoreau, Hawthorne, Melville, Tocqueville and Twain in common?
2. What is Ishmael's relationship with Ahab, in Melville's Moby Dick?
3. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
4. What were the roles of men of understanding and men of reason in Emerson's vision?
5. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
6. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
7. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
8. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
9. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
10. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)