|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What modern problem does Marx take as emblematic of man's treatment of nature?
(c) Industrial agriculture.
2. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) On weekends.
(b) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
(c) For permanent residence.
(d) For temporary respites.
3. What does Marx say about modern farming (in the time of his writing this book)?
(a) Modern farming has become an industry.
(b) Modern farming has preserved nature while offering productive land.
(c) Modern farming has freed Americans from industry.
(d) Modern farming has returned Americans to their agrarian roots.
4. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Learn the ways of the animals.
(b) Oppose industrialism.
(c) Contemplate eternal laws.
(d) Study the ruthless ways of men.
5. How did Melville describe whaling?
(a) As a symbol of society.
(b) As an industrial enterprise.
(c) As a spiritual calling.
(d) As an art.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
2. How would you classify Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'?
3. What did Coxe foresee for America?
4. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
5. What structures does Marx use as examples of how modern man mistreats nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
2. What is the future of the pastoral ideal in Marx's view at the end of the epilogue?
3. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
4. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
5. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
6. What does Marx say the ship Pequod symbolizes in Melville's Moby Dick?
7. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
8. What is complex pastoral ideology, and where does Marx see it in evidence?
9. How does Marx characterize the modern response to pastoralism?
10. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)