|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does fire have in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) It brings religion to people.
(b) It drives factories and great productivity.
(c) It destroys an everyman.
(d) It spreads light into the wilderness.
2. Who was Tench Coxe?
(a) A New York financier.
(b) A Philadelphia inventor and statesman.
(c) A Boston statesman.
(d) A Philadelphia merchant.
3. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
4. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
5. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
(a) Mutual exclusivity.
(c) Cause and effect.
(d) Mutual reinforcement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say about man's hopes for nature?
2. What would manufacturing do for America, in Coxe's estimation?
3. What did Emerson say that science and technology could serve?
4. How would you classify Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'?
5. What has happened to the ideal of the pastoral society, in Marx's opinion?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)