|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of society was America (in the time of Marx's writing)?
2. Which industry has Marx talked most about, in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(c) Medical devices.
3. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
(a) The east was producing literature, the west was producing science.
(b) The east was bringing civilization to the wild west.
(c) The east's industry was destroying everything as it moved west.
(d) The east's factories were a given, but they were balanced by the agrarian west.
4. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a crime against Indians.
(b) As a destruction of the landscape.
(c) As a form of progress.
(d) As a form of corruption.
5. What role has literature played in the formation of the culture Marx describes in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(a) Literature inspired the urge to abandon farms for cities.
(b) Literature reflected the changes after they had happened.
(c) Literature spurred the developments that shaped the landscape.
(d) Literature guided people as they settled the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to the ideal of the pastoral society, in Marx's opinion?
2. What does modern man hope for, in spite of industrialism?
3. Which term describes the title of Marx's epilogue?
4. What percentage of Americans lived on farms (in the time of Marx's writing)?
5. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marx characterize the modern response to pastoralism?
2. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
3. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
4. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
5. How did Thoreau reconcile machines and nature?
6. How did Daniel Webster describe industrialism?
7. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
8. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
9. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
10. What is complex pastoral ideology, and where does Marx see it in evidence?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)