|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What conflict does Marx say was avoided as America expanded?
(a) Warfare between financiers and farmers.
(b) Warfare between industrial and agrarian interests.
(c) Class warfare.
(d) Warfare between North and South.
2. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
(a) Immersion in science.
(b) Immersion in nature.
(c) Immersion in society.
(d) Immersion in literature.
3. How do modern authors, Marx included, tend to feel about preserving nature in an industrial world?
(c) Cautiously optimistic.
4. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
(a) The unification of humans and nature.
(b) The unification of knowledge in one science.
(c) The human race committing suicide.
(d) Disaffection, alienation, and disease.
5. What symbolic statement does Marx say Twain made in the raft being destroyed in Huckleberry Finn?
(a) Hiding from society is impossible.
(b) Fleeing from the law is dangerous.
(c) Man is alone in the river of life.
(d) Technology has progressed beyond steamboats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx say about man's hopes for nature?
2. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
3. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
4. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
5. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
2. What does Marx say the ship Pequod symbolizes in Melville's Moby Dick?
3. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
4. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
5. What is complex pastoral ideology, and where does Marx see it in evidence?
6. What critique did Carlyle make of industrialism?
7. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
8. How developed was the land at the end of the 18th century?
9. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
10. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)