|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
(a) Imported grain.
(b) Nature's bounty.
(c) Natives' produce.
(d) Money from exports.
2. What threat to the country's moral superiority had developed by Jefferson's time?
(a) The end of slavery.
(b) Public transit.
(c) Enclosure laws.
3. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A middle ground between city and country.
(c) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(d) Legitimacy as an American.
4. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
5. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Balance between men and women.
(b) Balance between man and nature.
(c) Fairness in dividing territory.
(d) Justice in righting old wrongs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
2. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
3. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
4. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
5. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shakespeare demonstrate the impossibility of the pastoral ideal?
2. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
3. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
4. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
5. What is the 'Garden of Ashes' a reference to?
6. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
7. What was John Orvis' reaction to industrialism?
8. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
9. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
10. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)