|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Development and expansion.
(b) Hard work and sacrifice.
(c) Generosity and sharing.
(d) Conservation and reservations.
2. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
(a) A whale hunt.
(b) Indian wars.
(c) Living in the woods.
(d) A reverie in the woods.
3. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Green, rural lifestyle.
(b) The savages' harmony with nature.
(c) Harnessing natural resources.
(d) Domesticating wild things.
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
2. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
3. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
4. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
5. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
2. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
3. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
4. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. What is the pastoral ideal?
6. How did colonists see America?
7. What is complex pastoral ideology?
8. What is the consequence of the pastoral ideal?
9. Why was Beverly ultimately disappointed in the New World?
10. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)