|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) It was unsoiled by civilization.
(b) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
(c) Everything was free for the taking.
(d) It was theirs by right of conquest.
2. What do Americans abandon when they are under the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(a) Urban areas.
(b) Urban parks.
(c) Small towns.
(d) Outdated buildings.
3. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(b) The Marble Faun.
(c) The Celestial Railroad.
(d) Mosses from an Old Manse.
4. How did Jefferson describe the representative man in Notes on Virginia?
(a) A virtuous man of nature.
(b) An industrious, independent farmer.
(c) A powerful industrialist.
(d) An inventive entrepreneur.
5. How did Barlowe describe the indigenous people he encountered?
(a) As evil and plotting.
(b) As barbaric and cruel.
(c) As simple and virtuous.
(d) As naïve and untrustworthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a consequence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
2. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
3. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
4. What did Hawthorne describe in the piece Marx analyzed?
5. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the pastoral ideal?
2. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
3. How did Shakespeare's characters describe the ideal society?
4. How did colonists see America?
5. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
6. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
7. How did Henry Adam's reconcile pastoralism and industrialism?
8. How did Ralph Waldo Emerson see nature?
9. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
10. How would you characterize Marx's own view about pastoralism?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)