|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
(a) As experienced people hoping for redemption.
(b) As spokesmen for conservation.
(c) As victims of political power.
(d) As advance agents of civilization.
2. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Civilization and primitive life.
(b) Comfort and exploration.
(c) Corruption and innocence.
(d) Wilderness and domestication.
3. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
(a) It was unsoiled by civilization.
(b) It was theirs by right of conquest.
(c) They could buy land so cheap from the natives.
(d) Everything was free for the taking.
4. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
(a) Green, rural lifestyle.
(b) The savages' harmony with nature.
(c) Harnessing natural resources.
(d) Domesticating wild things.
5. What kind of existence did Barlowe describe having encountered in his travels?
Short Answer Questions
1. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
2. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
3. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
4. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
5. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
2. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
3. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
4. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
5. How does Shakespeare demonstrate the impossibility of the pastoral ideal?
6. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
7. What is complex pastoral ideology?
8. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
9. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
10. What is the pastoral ideal?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)