|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have the relationships between the city and country changed in American industrial pastoralism?
(a) They are no longer exclusive.
(b) They are no longer interdependent.
(c) They are both reinvented by machines.
(d) They are both monetized.
2. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
(c) More elegant.
(d) More complex.
3. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
(a) To turn nature into an industrial resource.
(b) To transform nature into an ordered place.
(c) To live in the lap of nature.
(d) To live out a primitive existence.
4. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At the Revolution.
(b) At the Industrial Revolution.
(c) During the French Revolution.
(d) At colonization.
5. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
(a) Slow pace of technological development.
(b) Absence of foreign threats.
(c) A frontier to expand into.
(d) Peace with natives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
2. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
3. How have liberal thinkers portrayed the sentimental pastoral ideal, in Marx's account?
4. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
5. What virtues did Jefferson associate with the civilization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characters does Marx cite as examples of people who have gone through those three stages?
2. What contradiction marks the early accounts of the New World, according to Marx?
3. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
4. Why was Beverly ultimately disappointed in the New World?
5. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
6. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
7. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
8. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
9. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
10. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)