|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(b) The Iliad.
(c) Paradise Regained.
(d) Paradise Lost.
2. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
(a) For leisure.
(b) At a French Diplomat's request.
(c) Upon his travels to Europe.
(d) As an inventory when he was governor.
3. What does Marx say is unique about pastoralism in the industrial age in America?
(a) People began to be able to visit the country from the city.
(b) Southern plantations were the first farms to perform agriculture on an industrial scale.
(c) People stopped living on farms in the late 1700s.
(d) The railroad blurred the boundary between city and country.
4. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
5. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
(a) At colonization.
(b) At the Revolution.
(c) At the Industrial Revolution.
(d) During the French Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
2. What is the third stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
4. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
5. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought by the time of Jefferson?
2. How did colonists see America?
3. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
4. How did Shakespeare's characters describe the ideal society?
5. What view typified the opposite of the bountiful-Edenic image of the New World?
6. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
7. In what way does the railroad symbolize the industrial intrusion into a pastoral idyll?
8. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
9. What contradiction marks the early accounts of the New World, according to Marx?
10. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)