|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Comfort and exploration.
(b) Civilization and primitive life.
(c) Corruption and innocence.
(d) Wilderness and domestication.
2. What is the most important part of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest', in Marx's estimation?
(a) A conflict over territory.
(b) A political power struggle.
(c) An engagement and marriage.
(d) A conflict over how to use resources.
3. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
(a) Literature and action.
(b) Poetry and technology.
(c) Urbaneness and wilderness.
(d) Nature and civility.
4. What did colonists find in America?
(a) Virgin land.
(b) A desert they could transform into a garden.
(c) Infrastructure they could usurp from the natives.
(d) Civilized people they could convert to Christianity.
5. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
(a) Accounts of travel to the New World.
(b) Accounts of travel to the Pacific islands.
(c) Accounts of travel to India.
(d) Accounts of African tribes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
2. What did Jefferson ultimately conclude about industrialism?
3. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
4. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
5. What contradictory aspects of the American landscape came to characterize American pastoralism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the consequence of the pastoral ideal?
2. In what way does the railroad symbolize the industrial intrusion into a pastoral idyll?
3. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought by the time of Jefferson?
4. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
5. How does Marx describe the value of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
6. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
7. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
8. What discovery does Marx say we find in Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
9. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
10. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)