|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
(a) Tariffs on imported manufactured goods.
(b) Regulation of speculative investments.
(c) Farm subsidies.
(d) Low taxes.
2. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
(a) Nautical charts.
(b) The King's records.
(c) The sea captains' log books.
(d) The settlers' notes and journals.
3. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
(a) Balance between men and women.
(b) Balance between man and nature.
(c) Fairness in dividing territory.
(d) Justice in righting old wrongs.
4. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
5. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(c) Urban planning for green spaces.
(d) Withdrawal from modernization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did colonists find in America?
2. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
3. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
4. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the railroad symbolize the industrial intrusion into a pastoral idyll?
2. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
3. How did Jefferson change his view on industrialism?
4. How does Marx describe the ambiguity of existence Beverly hit on?
5. How does Marx describe the value of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
6. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
7. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
8. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
9. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
10. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)