Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the opposite of Barlowe's experience in his travels?
(a) Political intrigue.
(b) Storms and primitive land.
(c) Sparse resources and unsafe territory.
(d) Rocky soil and harsh laws.
2. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
3. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
4. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
(a) He thought that the settlers and natives could work together.
(b) He thought the New World would improve the settlers.
(c) He saw a unique opportunity in the New World.
(d) He thought that the New World could improve the natives.
5. What is the second reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(a) Withdrawal from modernization.
(b) Urban planning for green spaces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
2. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
3. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
4. Which leisure activity does Marx identify as revealing the influence of the sentimental pastoral ideal?
5. What kind of lifestyle does Marx say Americans want?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
2. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
3. What view typified the opposite of the bountiful-Edenic image of the New World?
4. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
5. How did Emerson react to industrialism?
6. What is the purpose of an epilogue?
7. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
8. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
9. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
10. What was Tench Coxe's contribution to the American pastoral ideal?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)