|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which characters are engaged in the final struggle in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Gonzalo and Prospero.
(b) Miranda and Caliban.
(c) Ferdinand and Miranda.
(d) Gonzalo and Ferdinand.
2. When did Thomas Jefferson publish his Notes on Virginia?
3. How did Arthur Barlowe describe America?
(a) As a harsh land.
(b) As a refuge from Europe.
(c) As a land of plenty.
(d) As a tropical paradise.
4. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(b) Urban planners.
5. In what art does Marx see pastoral ideology contributing to a more realistic outcome for American society?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Hawthorne when he wrote the piece Marx analyzed?
2. What allowed America to preserve Jeffersonian ideals for 100 years after Jefferson wrote about them?
3. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
4. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
5. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marx describe the ambiguity of existence Beverly hit on?
2. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
3. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
4. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
5. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
6. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
7. How did colonists see America?
8. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
9. What is the pastoral ideal?
10. What ideal does the conclusion to Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' suggest, in Marx's interpretation?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)