|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) With colonization.
(b) Twentieth century.
(c) Eighteenth century.
(d) Nineteenth century.
2. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
(a) Money from exports.
(b) Natives' produce.
(c) Imported grain.
(d) Nature's bounty.
3. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
(a) The struggle for poetic expression.
(b) The conflict over resource use.
(c) The conflict over resource use.
(d) The struggle for domination over nature.
4. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As a new nature.
(b) As a raw material.
(c) As a domestic industry.
(d) As an improved nature.
5. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(b) Paradise Regained.
(c) Paradise Lost.
(d) The Iliad.
Short Answer Questions
1. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
2. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
3. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
4. What were Beverly's sources for his history of Virginia?
5. America was depicted as a paradise that was also what, in Marx's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Beverly ultimately disappointed in the New World?
2. When did the pastoral ideal become a part of American culture?
3. How does Shakespeare demonstrate the impossibility of the pastoral ideal?
4. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
5. How does Marx describe the ambiguity of existence Beverly hit on?
6. What discovery does Marx say we find in Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
7. How did Jefferson change his view on industrialism?
8. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
9. What is the pastoral ideal?
10. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)