|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Norris' The Octopus.
(b) Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.
(c) James' Daisy Miller.
(d) Thoreau's Walden.
2. When did a uniquely American pastoral image emerge?
(a) Nineteenth century.
(b) Seventeenth century.
(c) Eighteenth century.
(d) At colonization.
3. What other American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
(a) Morrison's Beloved.
(b) Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(c) Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher.
(d) Stowe's Uncle Tom's Cabin.
4. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) A middle ground between city and country.
(c) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
(d) Legitimacy as an American.
5. What was it that Jefferson described as a threat to the moral center of democracy?
(b) Native Americans.
(d) European military power.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
2. What sources does Marx suppose Shakespeare read for 'The Tempest'?
3. What does Marx relate Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' to?
4. What did the settlers find appealing about the New World?
5. What desire does Marx describe as the opposite of Barlowe's view?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
2. Why was Beverly ultimately disappointed in the New World?
3. How does Marx describe the ambiguity of existence Beverly hit on?
4. In what way does the railroad symbolize the industrial intrusion into a pastoral idyll?
5. What is the pastoral ideal?
6. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
7. How does Shakespeare demonstrate the impossibility of the pastoral ideal?
8. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
9. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought by the time of Jefferson?
10. What view typified the opposite of the bountiful-Edenic image of the New World?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)