|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Jefferson's ideal of equality democracy founded on?
(a) A government that encouraged self-reliance.
(b) The free market.
(c) Fostering entrepreneurship.
(d) Protecting individuals from industrialism.
2. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
3. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Landscape painting.
(b) Terza rima.
(c) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
(d) Homeric versa.
4. What would people live on, in Gonzalo's ideal world?
(a) Imported grain.
(b) Money from exports.
(c) Natives' produce.
(d) Nature's bounty.
5. What writer does Marx credit with beginning the theme of pastoralism in literature?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
2. How was Hawthorne's description interrupted?
3. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
4. What did Beverly describe as the paradox of existence in the New World?
5. What does Marx say is the central theme of pastoral literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
2. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
3. How did colonists see America?
4. What are the three spatial stages a person goes through in pastoral ideal?
5. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
6. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
7. In what way does the railroad symbolize the industrial intrusion into a pastoral idyll?
8. How did Jefferson change his view on industrialism?
9. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
10. What is the sentimental pastoral ideal?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)