|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What associations were suggested by Marx's leading symbol of industrialism?
(a) Efficiency, control, and profit.
(b) Steam, progress, and control over the ocean.
(c) Fire, smoke and speed.
(d) Power, productivity, and order.
2. What does Marx say is the leading image of industrialism?
(a) The steamship.
(b) The steam locomotive.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) The factory.
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
(b) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
(c) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
(d) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
4. What is the first reaction Marx describes to industrialism?
(b) Feelings of alienation.
5. What form of art had reached a peak in Thomas Jefferson's time?
(a) Homeric versa.
(b) Terza rima.
(c) Landscape painting.
(d) Trompe l'oeil paintings.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
2. How does Marx describe the encroachment of industrialism?
3. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought, in Marx's account?
4. What does Marx say is the 'sentimental' pastoral ideal?
5. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
2. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
3. How does Marx describe the ambiguity of existence Beverly hit on?
4. What contradiction marks the early accounts of the New World, according to Marx?
5. What view typified the opposite of the bountiful-Edenic image of the New World?
6. What is the consequence of the pastoral ideal?
7. What characters does Marx cite as examples of people who have gone through those three stages?
8. What ideal does the conclusion to Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' suggest, in Marx's interpretation?
9. What discovery does Marx say we find in Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
10. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)