|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Robert Beverly write his history of Virginia?
2. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
(a) The portrait of men who gain power by disposing of natural resources.
(b) The portrait of indecision about taking the throne.
(c) The portrait of love's frailty against political power.
(d) The portrait of an unspoiled landscape invaded by Europeans.
4. In Jefferson's time, how did the eastern farmers come to see nature, as a result of their work?
(a) As a raw material.
(b) As a new nature.
(c) As a domestic industry.
(d) As an improved nature.
5. What were the keys to the American landscape, in the views that were the opposite of Barlowe's?
(a) Conservation and reservations.
(b) Generosity and sharing.
(c) Development and expansion.
(d) Hard work and sacrifice.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was that work written, which Barlowe likely influenced--and which also influenced Shakespeare in its description of a pastoral paradise?
2. What would Gonzalo's ideal be characterized by?
3. What economic consequence does the sentimental pastoral ideal engender?
4. What does Marx say Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrates?
5. What is the heart of the pastoral ideal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the context in which Marx was writing the epilogue?
2. What is the pastoral ideal?
3. What was the dark side of industrialism, in most writers' eyes?
4. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
5. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
6. How does Marx describe the value of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
7. What was America's first response to steam power in England?
8. What feature of American culture allowed Jefferson's ideal to survive for 100 years?
9. How does Marx categorize modern man's attitude toward the pastoral ideal in terms of the authors he has analyzed?
10. What is the role of industry in Melville's Moby Dick?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)