|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did complex pastoral ideology come into existence?
(a) With colonization.
(b) Twentieth century.
(c) Nineteenth century.
(d) Eighteenth century.
2. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
(b) Extractive industries.
(c) The reality of history.
(d) Industrial modernism.
3. Why did Beverly feel as he did by the end of his work?
(a) He thought the New World would improve the settlers.
(b) He thought that the settlers and natives could work together.
(c) He thought that the New World could improve the natives.
(d) He saw a unique opportunity in the New World.
4. What piece by Nathaniel Hawthorne does Marx treat as emblematic of American pastoralism?
(a) Mosses from an Old Manse.
(b) The Marble Faun.
(c) Sleepy Hollow Notes.
(d) The Celestial Railroad.
5. Who typically espouses the sentimental pastoral ideal?
(c) Urban planners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marx point out was formed as a result of the Revolutionary War?
2. What American literature does Marx say exemplifies the three-stage theme he identified in Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
3. What part of 'The Tempest' held special interest for Marx?
4. When did the pastoral idea become part of American culture?
5. What is the first stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the roles of men of understanding and men of reason in Emerson's vision?
2. How does Marx describe the ambiguity of existence Beverly hit on?
3. What was Mark Twain's stance on technology and nature in Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
4. What characters does Marx cite as examples of people who have gone through those three stages?
5. How did the pastoral ideal redeem the horrors of industrialism?
6. How had the Enlightenment changed pastoral thought by the time of Jefferson?
7. How did Jefferson change his view on industrialism?
8. How does Marx describe modern man's relationship with the pastoral ideal?
9. What does Marx mean when he says that America offered a middle way for men?
10. How did Emerson reconcile machines and nature?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)