|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does pastoral ideology conflict with, in Marx's account?
(a) The reality of history.
(b) Industrial modernism.
(c) Extractive industries.
2. What did Jefferson want to keep in Europe?
3. What literary work did Barlowe echo with his account of his travels?
(a) Paradise Regained.
(c) The Iliad.
(d) Paradise Lost.
4. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
(a) Urbaneness and wilderness.
(b) Literature and action.
(c) Nature and civility.
(d) Poetry and technology.
5. What possibility did Marx hear resonating from the Crevecoeur's Letters from an American Farmer?
(a) The promise that a man can change his life.
(b) The promise that the city can be redeemed by the country.
(c) The promise that nature can be civilized without being corrupted.
(d) The promise that the wilderness can be domesticated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the end of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' demonstrate, in Marx's interpretation?
2. What aspects of European civilization were the Virginia settlers glad to leave behind, in Beverly's history?
3. What is the second stage of life that Marx describes through Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'?
4. What human structure did Barlowe describe America in terms of?
5. What does Marx say Beverly felt about the New World, by the end of his history?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
2. What characters does Marx cite as examples of people who have gone through those three stages?
3. What ideal does the conclusion to Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' suggest, in Marx's interpretation?
4. What is complex pastoral ideology?
5. When did complex pastoral ideology begin to appear in American culture?
6. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
7. How did Jefferson separate America and Europe in his Notes on Virginia?
8. How does Marx describe the value of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
9. How did Jefferson describe the frontier in his Notes on Virginia?
10. Where has the pastoral ideal been apparent in American culture?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)