|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marx writes that America offered men a middle state between what and what in the eighteenth century?
(a) Corruption and innocence.
(b) Civilization and primitive life.
(c) Comfort and exploration.
(d) Wilderness and domestication.
2. What did the new world fail to offer newcomers, in typical accounts?
3. What do liberal thinkers say the sentimental pastoral ideal results in, according to Marx?
(a) Ignorance and apathy.
(b) Reactionary philosophy.
(c) Peace movements.
(d) Industrial developments.
4. What does an individual gain by passing through these three spatial stages?
(a) Legitimacy as an American.
(c) A middle ground between city and country.
(d) A high ground in terms of religious experience.
5. What virtues would the Jeffersonian man strike a balance between?
(a) Nature and civility.
(b) Poetry and technology.
(c) Literature and action.
(d) Urbaneness and wilderness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was nature's role supposed to be in the nation's future, by Jefferson's time?
2. For what occasion did Jefferson write his Notes on Virginia?
3. What secondary plot does Marx see as important for his purposes?
4. How had feelings about nature changed by Jefferson's time?
5. How does Marx characterize Prospero and members of the court?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had Shakespeare learned about conditions in America?
2. How did colonists see America?
3. What contradiction marks the early accounts of the New World, according to Marx?
4. What is the pastoral ideal?
5. What view did the colonists take of the New World in the early years of colonization?
6. How did Jefferson change his view on industrialism?
7. How does Marx describe the value of Shakespeare's 'The Tempest' in 'The Machine in the Garden'?
8. How does Shakespeare demonstrate the impossibility of the pastoral ideal?
9. How did Robert Beverly describe the New World in his History?
10. How long does Marx say the pastoral ideal has endured?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)