|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Urbanization of nature.
(b) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
(c) Domestication of nature.
(d) Rejection of industry.
2. What does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
(a) They are fulfilled.
(b) They are conservationists.
(c) They are leaders.
(d) They are isolated.
3. What is Marx's tone throughout 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(a) Reverential and despairing by turns.
(b) Optimistic and casual.
(c) Analytical and pessimistic.
(d) Scientific and analytical.
4. Which term describes the title of Marx's epilogue?
5. How does Marx characterize man's hopes for nature?
(a) Realistic planning.
(b) Pastoral idealism.
(c) Scientific resource allocation.
(d) Consensus-based resource use.
6. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
(a) As a force of nature.
(b) As a crime.
(c) As a torment.
(d) As a form of art.
7. How did Americans see westward expansion, in Marx's account?
(a) As a destruction of the landscape.
(b) As a crime against Indians.
(c) As a form of progress.
(d) As a form of corruption.
8. What does the ocean symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(a) Man's redemption.
(b) A provident god.
(c) Man's creativity.
(d) Nature's danger.
9. What would men of understanding provide in Emerson's vision?
10. What did Coxe foresee for America?
(a) The danger of industrialism.
(b) The value of industrialism.
(c) The civic uses of industrialism.
(d) How industrialism would give America strength internationally.
11. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
(a) The unification of humans and nature.
(b) The unification of knowledge in one science.
(c) The human race committing suicide.
(d) Disaffection, alienation, and disease.
12. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
(a) Machine tools.
(b) The railroad.
(c) Standardized parts.
(d) The cotton gin.
13. What was Daniel Webster's feeling about pastoralism?
(a) He thought it would heal industrialism.
(b) He set out national parks to preserve pastoral spaces.
(c) He thought it could co-exist with technology.
(d) He thought it would corrupt America's soul.
14. How did Melville describe whaling?
(a) As a spiritual calling.
(b) As an industrial enterprise.
(c) As an art.
(d) As a symbol of society.
15. How many Americans lived on farms by the end of the 19th century?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Coxe's vision for industrialism intersect with pastoralism?
2. What power does Marx credit government with, in reversing the trend toward urbanization and industrialization?
3. What type of society was America (in the time of Marx's writing)?
4. What has happened to the ideal of the pastoral society, in Marx's opinion?
5. What is the consequence of knowing nature, according to Twain's work?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)