|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
(d) Political strife.
2. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
(a) He protested the destruction of indigenous societies.
(b) He complained about the decline of marriage in cities.
(c) He lamented the death of wildlife.
(d) He decried the disruption of nature.
3. What should man do in nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Oppose industrialism.
(b) Contemplate eternal laws.
(c) Learn the ways of the animals.
(d) Study the ruthless ways of men.
4. How does Marx say most American writers described industrial expansion?
(a) As a crime.
(b) As a torment.
(c) As a form of art.
(d) As a force of nature.
5. What did Henry Adams envision as the consequence of technology?
(a) Disaffection, alienation, and disease.
(b) The unification of knowledge in one science.
(c) The human race committing suicide.
(d) The unification of humans and nature.
6. What is Huck Finn lamenting at the beginning of Huckleberry Finn?
(a) His current civilized state.
(b) Tom Sawyer's punishment.
(c) His loss of his father.
(d) Jim's incarceration.
7. When was man supposed to return to nature, in Thoreau's vision?
(a) For permanent residence.
(b) On weekends.
(c) For temporary respites.
(d) He should keep nature alive in his cities.
8. How does Marx predict the trend toward urbanization and industrialization will be reversed?
(a) By politics.
(b) By resource depletion.
(c) By market changes.
(d) By popular uprisings.
9. What does Marx say about man's hopes for nature?
(a) They will create wars.
(b) They are just a dream.
(c) They are destructive.
(d) They are realistic.
10. What percentage of Americans lived on farms (in the time of Marx's writing)?
11. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) The demonic element in factories.
(b) Chaotic forces of nature.
(d) Man's desire for progress.
12. What does Marx say Thoreau wanted people to do in nature?
13. What else does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
(a) They are Indians and blacks.
(b) They are powerless.
(c) They are rich.
(d) They are poor.
14. How did Melville describe whaling?
(a) As a spiritual calling.
(b) As an art.
(c) As an industrial enterprise.
(d) As a symbol of society.
15. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
(a) Mutual reinforcement.
(c) Mutual exclusivity.
(d) Cause and effect.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
2. Who was Tench Coxe?
3. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
4. What kinds of machines especially did Americans welcome at the end of the 18th century?
5. Which term describes the title of Marx's epilogue?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)