|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling characterized the beginning of Mark Twain's writing career?
(a) Nostalgia for the old days on the Mississippi.
(b) Optimism about industrial expansion into the midwest.
(c) Lamentation about the death of Indian cultures.
(d) Fear about the consequences of the railroad.
2. What does fire symbolize in Hawthorne's The Unpardonable Sin?
(a) The demonic element in factories.
(b) Man's desire for progress.
(d) Chaotic forces of nature.
3. What dangers were writers warning about as America urbanized?
(a) Decline of morals.
(b) Loss of nature.
(c) Creation of a permanently poor underclass.
(d) Declining value of money.
4. Whom does Marx credit with predicting all the evils of industrialism?
(a) John Orvis.
(b) Thomas Jefferson.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Daniel Webster.
5. Which term describes the title of Marx's epilogue?
6. What did Emerson's philosophy ultimately propose?
(a) Urbanization of nature.
(b) Domestication of nature.
(c) Rejection of industry.
(d) Reconciliation of industry and nature.
7. What was unique about American manufacturing, in Coxe's view?
(a) It presented enormous economic opportunities.
(b) Markets were waiting for American goods.
(c) The raw materials were limitless.
(d) The environment would keep it healthy.
8. What is Ishmael's task, in Marx's description of Melville's vision in Moby Dick?
(a) To restrain Ahab.
(b) To save the ship.
(c) To reconcile nature and society.
(d) To kill the white whale.
9. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
(b) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(c) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(d) Man had become a slave to his tools.
10. What does the ocean symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(a) Nature's danger.
(b) A provident god.
(c) Man's creativity.
(d) Man's redemption.
11. What type of society was America (in the time of Marx's writing)?
12. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(b) Spiritual degradation.
(c) Modern society.
(d) Elemental nature.
13. How did Emerson portray nature?
(a) As the grand provider.
(b) As a force to be overcome.
(c) As chaotic and disorganized.
(d) As demonic.
14. What would men of reason provide in Emerson's vision?
(b) Political strife.
15. What did Daniel Webster believe the railroad would do for America?
(a) Terrify the livestock.
(b) Destroy the traditions.
(c) Unify the people.
(d) Corrupt the youth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Emerson describe the relationship between the east and the west?
2. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
3. How did Melville describe whaling?
4. How does Marx predict the trend toward urbanization and industrialization will be reversed?
5. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)