Final Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Thoreau describe modern man?
(a) Unhappy in factories.
(b) Torn apart by his desires.
(c) Poised at the boundary between nature and industry.
(d) Free in the wilderness.
2. What was the effect of industrialism in Thoreau's vision?
(a) Military developments had made technology deadlier than ever.
(b) Man had become a slave to his tools.
(c) Industry had generated enormous wealth.
(d) Machines had improved daily life for millions.
3. What did Emerson originally propose in his philosophy?
(a) Immersion in society.
(b) Immersion in science.
(c) Immersion in literature.
(d) Immersion in nature.
4. What still remains in every man, in Marx's account?
(a) Optimism for industry.
(b) The pastoral ideal.
(c) Hope for progress.
(d) Faith in medicine.
5. What 'sealed the fate' of American industrialism, according to Marx?
(a) Machine tools.
(b) Standardized parts.
(c) The cotton gin.
(d) The railroad.
6. What defines complex pastoralism?
(a) Refusal to let sentimental pastoralism lapse.
(b) Acceptance of history.
(c) Industrial machinery fostering nature.
(d) Redemption of the alienation that comes from industrial modernity.
7. How does Marx describe the pastoralism of the 19th century?
8. What trait did American thinkers and writers see in evidence in America's industrial expansion?
9. What did Coxe contrast manufacturing with?
(a) Cottage industry.
(b) The trades.
10. What criticism did Carlyle make of American industrialism?
(a) He protested the destruction of indigenous societies.
(b) He decried the disruption of nature.
(c) He lamented the death of wildlife.
(d) He complained about the decline of marriage in cities.
11. What does modern man hope for, in spite of industrialism?
(a) Reform for pollution.
(b) Limits on pollution.
(c) Cooperation with nature.
(d) Greater and greater resource use.
12. What else does Marx say about people who live pastoral lives?
(a) They are Indians and blacks.
(b) They are poor.
(c) They are powerless.
(d) They are rich.
13. What does Marx point out accompanied factories and progress in transportation?
(a) Worker abuses.
(b) Decreased infant mortality rates.
(c) Longer lifespans.
(d) Increased literacy.
14. What does the ocean symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
(a) Man's redemption.
(b) A provident god.
(c) Man's creativity.
(d) Nature's danger.
15. How would you classify Marx's 'The Machine in the Garden'?
(a) Cultural criticism.
(b) Psychological report.
(c) Literary criticism.
(d) Scientific study.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between industrialism and pastoralism?
2. What does the Pequod symbolize in Melville's Moby Dick?
3. What effect does Marx say Emerson foresaw for industrialism?
4. How does Marx characterize man's hopes for nature?
5. Why does Marx say that machines could be welcomed into America?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)